Air conditioning R12

Akoz

Need to replace my original A/C compressor but want to keep the original R12 system, not the 134a conversion. The new replacement A/C compressors all appear to be 134a. Any ideas

If you use the proper oil and new orfice the 134 will work fine. My 90 GT has 134 and blows 42 degrees out vent and changed nothing. It was factory and still had about 5 psi in system. Added Ester oil and 2.5 cans of 134. Also replaced the pressure switch and adjusted it 1/4 turn lower.

I have a few of the R4 compressor cores that use R12. Prob should be rebuilt as I just replaced mine with a R134 compressor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All new/reman'd compressors come with Pag oil for 134. Not in any way compatable with Mineral oil designed for R12. Drain out the Pag oil and pore some Mineral oil in and turn the compressor a few times by hand, then drain it out. Use Mineral oil with your R12.

Where are you going to get R12 to fill it?

Convert it. R12 is done.

The 12 oz cans of R-12 are $30-40 here in Phoenix Craig's list.

134a may cool well enough in most areas, but here being it is 20% less efficient than r-12, that does not make for a comfort ride when the temp is 90-100 degrees and more!

The 12 oz cans of R-12 are $30-40 here in Phoenix Craig's list.

134a may cool well enough in most areas, but here being it is 20% less efficient than r-12, that does not make for a comfort ride when the temp is 90-100 degrees and more!
Especially when sitting, my Stang blows 42 out the vent when running 40+mph but sitting at light it gets to 55 or so. But it is a big relief with non tinted windows, sunroof, and black interior.

The most common failure seems to be the front seal - leaking compressor oil and R12. Not too hard to change on the car if you have the correct install and removal tools. You can buy seals from AC Delco or the aftermarket. Tools can also be purchased online. There are Youtube videos showing you how to do this repair. If you have a low mileage car I'd fix the original compressor.

Craig

What some don't understand is 134 runs at a higher PSI on the high side. No problem on a newer car designed for it. On our 30 year old cars is the old hoses {if original} will only handle the extra PSI for so long before they leak as well. I will use 12 as long as its available.

$10/can to $40/can
Yikes! I have a small leak in the original AC system that needs a can every year or 2. Bought a case of Red Tek R12 freon for under $90 bucks shipped last year. Still blowing cold this year. I just make sure to keep up with having enough oil in the system. Never was able to locate the leak but for less then $10 a year I have AC again. No retrofitting of the current system & seems to be working fine so far.

X2 for R-12
Re did my complete AC system last summer.
After installing all brand new AC components....filled with the appropriate levels of the recommended oil and R-12.
No problem getting R-12 these days. Just costs a few buck$