You can type here any text you want

Alright What Did I Do Wrong With My Suspension Build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
Well I decided to rebuild the front end while the engines out. Replaced lower bushings and ball joints. Replaced upper arms with G body tubulars. Replaced springs with moog 5658.
Look at the angle of the upper ball joint. There is no way that thing will survive like that will it? Also the rubber doesn't make contact with the spindle?
Everything is torqued correctly.
What am I missing here?
mupararu.jpg
pahyqa4y.jpg
y2ybareb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

1st...Stock spindles?
I'm gonna reserve judgement until you throw 400 lbs for engine and tranny so it settles to ride height.
Are you sure the springs are in the pockets correctly?
If they are not...after a few miles of driving...they will twist and fall into place. Are they standard ball joints or tall joints?

those arms don't have the factory bumpstops in them that prevent the suspension from drooping that far- the only time it will cause problems is when you jump a creek or something with the cops chasing after you- and the boots will puff up some once you grease it up.

Stock spindles. If I place a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up to the point it lifts the frame off jack stands the angle looks better but the rubber boot still doesn't seal.

those arms don't have the factory bumpstops in them that prevent the suspension from drooping that far- the only time it will cause problems is when you jump a creek or something with the cops chasing after you- and the boots will puff up some once you grease it up.

I have been watching allot of the Dukes of Hazzard lately.

Stock spindles. If I place a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up to the point it lifts the frame off jack stands the angle looks better but the rubber boot still doesn't seal.

Yeah it will lift it up. You need to put the hubs and tires on...the get about 400 lbs in the engine compartment and bounce a little. Take a measurement from the floor to the upper most point for the front fender well. Post it and get some other references from guys.
Once again...make sure the springs are seated in the pockets with the end of the coil sitting in the stamped area for it. Many don't know there is a stamped pocket in the bottom control arm, that keeps the spring from being able to rotate. If its not in that pocket, it throws off everything.

have never heard of spring rotating and i never will

the pocket is there to insure that the spring tail isnt installed outbound which would cause the spring tail to be the support of the car , it wont properly support the vehicle
You are correct, but it will rotate and seat itself after driving it a while. That's why it's only engineered into the bottom arm and not the frame socket.

I am pretty sure the springs are installed correctly. The end of the spring is covering one hole and the other is exposed. I'm referring to the two holes on the inside of the control arm.

For starters, they won't stay like that! You can not judge a suspension until it's on the ground with the "Proper" weight on the suspension period!

Once you get the engine back in and everything hooked back up and the car on the ground Then see where it's at, even then it should still be driven down the street and back at least to settle the suspension...

As everyone has said, you won't be able to tell until the suspension is fully loaded with engine ect on it. The other thing is, if you removed the lower arms and loosened the bolts up. If you did and you tightened them before the suspension is fully loaded then they're in a bind right now. This can also make the front suspension ride higher than normal and will cause the bushings to deteriorate faster when you put weight back on them.

I will loosen the lower control arm bolts and retorque once on the ground thanks.

Ok another dumb question. My bilsteins came with three washers? Can't figure out how to use them all and it make sense.
Anyone?
yzamu4yq.jpg

japymahy.jpg

y6u6e7e3.jpg

the shocks go together in this order, starting at the bottom with the shock out:

washer
bushing
slide shock thru frame
bushing
washer
nut

bumepytu.jpg

???????????????????

Thats how they want them installed. I always left that washer out unless the hole was worn out. Its supposed to keep the shock rod centered in the hole. leave it in if they are installed already

Back