Aluminum downpipe done

Wow! Real Nice Billy! Most guys just do the downpipe. You definitely "one-upped" them :)

Great work as usual Billy. Aluminum down pipes are very common in outlaw and DR cars now days. Billy was smart to use 11 ga. But most race cars use as light at 16 ga with some maintenance. I built a 14ga 5in DP for the GN8. Ive had no issues what so ever.My 5in DP with Volant 5in( 1.94 lb) stainless muffler weighs probably 1/4 of what a stainless and regular weight muffler would weigh.

Great work as usual Billy. Aluminum down pipes are very common in outlaw and DR cars now days. Billy was smart to use 11 ga. But most race cars use as light at 16 ga with some maintenance. I built a 14ga 5in DP for the GN8. Ive had no issues what so ever.My 5in DP with Volant 5in( 1.94 lb) stainless muffler weighs probably 1/4 of what a stainless and regular weight muffler would weigh.

What type of maintenance?

Interesting stuff guys.

Don,
Some of the very fast cars, with sharp bends immediately after the turbo outlet have eventually blown thru. I mean very fast cars, Outlaw style. As This is mainly because the outside of the bend is so much thinner. Some of these cars have twin turbos, big blocks, fuel tanks under the hood, so using tight bends are a must.

I built mine with as much straight tubing after the outlet to a 45 bend. There is plenty of material to disperse the heat so blowing thru should not be an issue.

Ill be seeing him after the S2 goes in for one of those.

+1. What's the weight advantage? .125" walled aluminum tubing can't be too light. Material cost?

Just got done making one for the mustang. Its 5" diameter first bend is 11ga. with 14ga. for the rest we made the muffler outside with .040 sheet. Took the same route as the old 16 ga. steel dp which weighted 21# alum. was 11#.

DSC00938-2.jpg

We will be testing the first bend as it was so close to the motor we had to cheat it right at the turbo. I was told it would be ok.

With all these tight bends that I see everyone using right out of the turbine housing, I'm surprised that no one has developed a banjo type turbine discharge housing. From what I understand they flow as well as a straight pipe if they're done right. You could get an even tighter turn than you're getting with the traditional bends starting right at the turbine housing.

Just had mine finished. The 3.5" SS pipe I had in there weighed 12lbs. The new 4" aluminum one weighs 2lbs..

Pontiac had cast aluminum exhaust manifolds on their Super Stock drag cars in the early 60's.
Conrad
Hot Air