You can type here any text you want

amp install?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shmed

i recently recieved a small amp for the gn so i mounted it in the trunk.
question is do i have th erun the power wire all the way to the battery? or is there a place somewhere closer.
im not too keen on drilling holes in my car
thanks
dave

BATT+ From the Battery is the safe way. Use the proper gauge wire and a fuse.

What kind of amp is it? What size or model number. I would use at least 10 gauge. 8 would be better. There are so many places selling wire that has more insulation that actual wire. Gotta be careful where you buy your materials.

What kind of amp is it? What size or model number. I would use at least 10 gauge. 8 would be better. There are so many places selling wire that has more insulation that actual wire. Gotta be careful where you buy your materials.
+1.......... I have to tell people this on a daily basis.

is there any protection required??

BATT+ From the Battery is the safe way. Use the proper gauge wire and a fuse.

What size protection would you suggest?? Would this be in the form of an inline fuse??

the big question is what size is the amp. and what is it rated for? I always run 4 gauge just in Case walmart sells kits for $50.

That is too small. how many amps is it rated for?
most audio is in watts. 12 gauge is good for 20a ac dc should be a lot lower. watts = volts x current 12v x ??A = watts amp is rated (peak). some places rate peak to peak to make there amp look better.

its a small amp says hifonics hawk with cross over.
amps im not sure i was given this without any kind of manuals
a little searching i found this..
RMS Power Range : 2x50 Watts
Number Of Channels: 2
Maximum Power: 180 Watts
Low Frequency response: 20 Hz
High Frequency Response: 20000 Hz
Built In Crossovers: Yes
Channel Separation: Yes

Features
Peak Power: 90W x 2
Bridged RMS Power: 180W x 1
HiFonics Heat Sink Design
Super Compact Chassis - Only 7.6" Wide!
High-Speed Ultra-Fi Mosfet Output Devices
Simpatico Coil Design (SPC) Toroid Transformer
PWM Mosfet Power Supply
Variable High-Pass / Low-Pass Crossover
Cross Shift with Q Adjustment
Variable Bass Boost at 45 Hz
Full-Range Line Outputs
Gold-Plated Terminal Block Power and Speaker Connectors

its a small amp says hifonics hawk with cross over.
amps im not sure i was given this without any kind of manuals
a little searching i found this..
RMS Power Range : 2x50 Watts
Number Of Channels: 2
Maximum Power: 180 Watts
Low Frequency response: 20 Hz
High Frequency Response: 20000 Hz
Built In Crossovers: Yes
Channel Separation: Yes

Features
Peak Power: 90W x 2
Bridged RMS Power: 180W x 1
HiFonics Heat Sink Design
Super Compact Chassis - Only 7.6" Wide!
High-Speed Ultra-Fi Mosfet Output Devices
Simpatico Coil Design (SPC) Toroid Transformer
PWM Mosfet Power Supply
Variable High-Pass / Low-Pass Crossover
Cross Shift with Q Adjustment
Variable Bass Boost at 45 Hz
Full-Range Line Outputs
Gold-Plated Terminal Block Power and Speaker Connectors

you can check the amps by counting the colored fuses on the amp itself
the amps your amp needs will determine what size gauge wire you need for power.

careful where you run your wires too. esp. if they are not highly insulated. keep them away from any factory wire bundles going to the trunk. should run on passenger side b/c i think all the wires run on driver side of buick. if not you could end up with altenator/motor buzzing. that goes for the remote lead, power, ground, and audio wires. Aslo don't moutn the amp directly to a metal surface, use some rubber grommets or carpet for backing, that to can cause you some buzzing. Your amp is pretty small. Just go to walmart and get the install kit and you should be fine. If you are hooking it in to the factory radio you should be able to splice the remote lead in to the power antenna remote. have fun.

careful where you run your wires too. esp. if they are not highly insulated. keep them away from any factory wire bundles going to the trunk. should run on passenger side b/c i think all the wires run on driver side of buick. if not you could end up with altenator/motor buzzing. that goes for the remote lead, power, ground, and audio wires. Aslo don't moutn the amp directly to a metal surface, use some rubber grommets or carpet for backing, that to can cause you some buzzing. Your amp is pretty small. Just go to walmart and get the install kit and you should be fine. If you are hooking it in to the factory radio you should be able to splice the remote lead in to the power antenna remote. have fun.

if you do still get buzzing sound there is a isolator at wal mart that will fix it. I have used it a few times works good. goes in ilne with rca's

Back