...and then there was GNX #548

Car is looking good! I would like to pull mine apart and have the frame powder coated some day.

I've attached some photos that I took of GNX #548 (the car pictured on pg. 1 of this thread). These were taken while at the Buick GS Nationals in Bowling Green, KY in 1993.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 632
regalv6 said:
I've attached some photos that I took of GNX #548 (the car pictured on pg. 1 of this thread). These were taken while at the Buick GS Nationals in Bowling Green, KY in 1993.

Nice were did u dig those up from nice here are a few more to date

ForumRunner_20130425_230620.png

ForumRunner_20130425_230620.png

ForumRunner_20130425_230700.png

Nice were did u dig those up from nice here are a few more to date

View attachment 187948

View attachment 187948

View attachment 187949
I took those pics in '93, my first trip to Bowling Green. A good friend of mine worked for Street Performance (Gary) at the time. I may have a couple more pics that I'll post soon. I wish I had taken many more pics of that car, especially of the V.I.N. tag (considering the history of the car which has held the same story since I first saw it). If I recall, I believe that it has manual windows which makes the car even more unique since there's never been a GNX with crank windows. I'd really like to see any pics you may have pre-disassembly, especially of the interior (if possible). I remember ordering GNX emblems from the Buick dealership that I worked for (still employed there) using the V.I.N. and vehicle info for the GNX that had been sold from our dealership. It was pretty neat to see the #548 plaque at that time. It's great to see that car again !!!

regalv6 said:
I took those pics in '93, my first trip to Bowling Green. A good friend of mine worked for Street Performance (Gary) at the time. I may have a couple more pics that I'll post soon. I wish I had taken many more pics of that car, especially of the V.I.N. tag (considering the history of the car which has held the same story since I first saw it). If I recall, I believe that it has manual windows which makes the car even more unique since there's never been a GNX with crank windows. I'd really like to see any pics you may have pre-disassembly, especially of the interior (if possible). I remember ordering GNX emblems from the Buick dealership that I worked for (still employed there) using the V.I.N. and vehicle info for the GNX that had been sold from our dealership. It was pretty neat to see the #548 plaque at that time. It's great to see that car again !!!
U do know this car well it does have roll up windows lol gary sold the car to another friend that had it sent from garys house to the body shop so when I got her from him it was mostly took apart amd I decided to take it a few steps further and pull the body and powder coat some things its good to know that the story told holds some weight and u remember

I forget what company it was, but I'm almost positive that in the 90s you could be an after market GNX dash plaque. Does anyone else remember that?

Ps- I'm not discounting the back story on 548, just simply asking a question about something I remembered from back in the day

Ps- I'm not discounting the back story on 548, just simply asking a question about something I remembered from back in the day
What is the official story on 548? Does anyone happen to know exactly how many TBs were converted into gnx's without gnx vins? Is it possible there's more gnx's like X-ray and 548?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What is the official story on 548? Does anyone happen to know exactly how many TBs were converted into gnx's without gnx vins? Is it possible there's more gnx's like X-ray and 548?

No that is it ...besides other clone vehicles that individuals made themselves...and there is the prototypes but are listed in the book as such..

We know u were lucky enough to make ur car Rick, do u know who and why they were allowed to run another buick down the assembly line?

Can u refresh my memory on the prototypes? Weren't there 6 proto's?

I think x-ray and 548 are just as valuable as any other gnx, no they don't have the vins but they were built in the same place same time and outside of the gnx numbers, to me that makes them equal to the gnx... U can also claim they were physically the last one(s) to run off the assembly line

X-ray wasn't built on the assembly line but was built to spec.
The other car, an 85 GN i believe, was ran thru on one late night.

D

I came close to buying a GNX several years ago and had the means if I wanted to, but thought them as museum pieces and ought not be driven...but that's me.

Aside from that, Buick sanctioned ONLY 547 GNXs and as such ONLY 547 Buick/ASC McLaren GNXs were ever produced. If Tom, Dick or Harry wanted to run their car down the line after the 547 to make "extras" they're not sanctioned by Buick/ASC and as such are "knock-offs", even if they're beautiful to look at. Anyone can "make" a GNX if they have the means but they won't be authentic, end of story.

I'm troubled by the people yet to be identified who took a totalled GNX and rebuilt it using a GN donor car, then put the GNX VIN into that donor car....that can be a major felony. It'd have to be titled and registered as a SALVAGE car.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/forums/gnx-the-fortunate-547.96/

I came close to buying a GNX several years ago and had the means if I wanted to, but thought them as museum pieces and ought not be driven...but that's me.

Aside from that, Buick sanctioned ONLY 547 GNXs and as such ONLY 547 Buick/ASC McLaren GNXs were ever produced. If Tom, Dick or Harry wanted to run their car down the line after the 547 to make "extras" they're not sanctioned by Buick/ASC and as such are "knock-offs", even if they're beautiful to look at. Anyone can "make" a GNX if they have the means but they won't be authentic, end of story.

I'm troubled by the people yet to be identified who took a totalled GNX and rebuilt it using a GN donor car, then put the GNX VIN into that donor car....that can be a major felony. It'd have to be titled and registered as a SALVAGE car.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/forums/gnx-the-fortunate-547.96/

I have to disagree with your "running down the line" statement.
Just because it's not sanctioned by Buick and doesn't have the approved vin numbers it doesn't make it's not a real GNX.
If A GN was ran down the line during GNX production it has the goods.

Even the GNX-RAY is a contender having been built from original GNX parts during the GNX production.
My opinion.

As for your other comment on totaled GNX's. I have to agree. I personally know of a GNX that was totaled in the early 90's and I've never heard of it ever again. But if I ever see that number up for sale I will absolutely put it's history out there. And no, I will not do it now. But I'm watching!
I have also let the powers that be aware.

I am an absolute fan of these cars and if I can save someone from being ripped off, I will!

D

edit -- BTW, I'm really f##ked up right now. spelling? cheers! hehehe

There are many nice clones out there, and not just GNX's. Clone Shelby GT350s, if done right, bring good money, but never original GT350 money. The same should be the same for GNX's, unless someone is getting snowballed. So if it's not one of 547, it'll never be as valuable, in the general market at least. Some buyers might value a clone more for its usability.

say what you want, but....... if it wasn't GM/ ASC sanctioned its a CLONE!
heck if I took my GN and put all GNX parts on it now, and did it at the original assembly
plant, (yes I'm aware its an empty warehouse) would that make it a GNX? NO!!!!!!!
even the prototypes are NOT GNX's, they are "prototypes" or concept cars.
sorry, but there were only 547 RECOGNIZED GNX's

I have to disagree with your "running down the line" statement.
Just because it's not sanctioned by Buick and doesn't have the approved vin numbers it doesn't make it's not a real GNX.
If A GN was ran down the line during GNX production it has the goods.

Even the GNX-RAY is a contender having been built from original GNX parts during the GNX production.
My opinion.

D

Let's apply this standard to other models. I know for a fact GM did some strange things with cars since my entire family worked for GM in various capacities, including line work. There was a time when you placed an order for a car you could "follow it" down the line and have your friends add stuff to it that weren't supposed to be on it. Yes, they came from GM but the paperwork wouldn't match the car. Your buddies in QC would look the other way and your "custom car" would be loaded and off to your dealer. Now, let's apply this to the 1,035 Limiteds Buick verifies were produced. If someone walked their standard Turbo Regal down the line and had his buddies add a Limited interior and a couple rear quarter emblems is it a "REAL" Buick Limited...one of which isn't part of the 1,035? The trunk code label wouldn't match, nor would the VIN recognize it as a Limited considering they were specially VIN'd. Therefore it's NOT a truly recognized Limited by Buick, even if it went down GM's assembly line. Just having "the goods" applied by the manufacturer absolutely does not make it authentic. The paperwork doesn't verify it as authentic, plus that extra GNX's vin wouldn't be a part of Buick's 547. Buick/ASC is the ultimate authority on which cars ARE GNX. No matter who put on "the goods" be it the factory or your garage doesn't make it a GNX, it makes it a GNX knock off.

This same concept applies to "extra GNX's" that were made past the sanctioned and authorized 547 - there's just no more to this.

It may not be one of the 547 "documented" cars, but certainly is an exceptional car with an interesting history. Perhaps, in an effort to not offend those that prefer to let the documentation speak, the thread for all others should be titled "548 and Beyond.....".