Another exhaust question

G

gntnl

I've been lurking here for a while and love all the info i have gathered. I am wanting to get rid of the stock exhaust system for something better. My dad and I want the car to have a deep aggressive tone. We want that muscle car sound. We also want the exhaust to have 2 tips, like the stocker.

What are your opinions on a mean sounding exhaust with good flow?

Do you reccomend the ATR 3" crossflow?

The only mod right now is a high flow cat. Future calls for a cold air intake and a trip to Cotton's shop.

Thanks alot
Mike

If your already going to Jack's see what he's got as far as exhaust. Not sure what he has on that white T.

With a cat, most exhausts you put on will be fairly quiet.

A good 2.5" mandrel bent catback exhaust with ultraflow mufflers will give you good performance, but may not be loud enough for you.

Your car doesn't "need" a 3" crossflow exhaust. You get to a point where you are just carrying around extra weight.

For me personally, what the car does and sounds like to me driving is more important than what it sounds like to other people I drive by. If it sounds cool at the cruise in, but drones on the highway or I lose a .05 in the 1/4, they are coming off, no matter how cool they sound to others.

Thanks, the aggressive sound is mor for us than others. We just want an exhaust that has a noticably deeper tone and is noticably louder than stock.

when reading a different post "3 " crossflow me like/cops not" It mentioned the "brown truck sound"

My dad and I want the car to be loader and deeper. We are not too worried about the weight of the car because we won't be racing any time soon.

Thanks for all the knowledge.
Mike

With a cat in place it shouldn't sound too UPS truck like.

Without a cat, the bigger the exhaust you go the more it "sounds" like an open dump, which at idle sounds like a UPS truck and at full boost sounds like a 16 foot long/400 hp chain saw.

Mike:

Do the SS ATR 2.5" w/ SS pitbulls and call it a day :cool:

Sounds mean at idle and isn't offensive on the street. Plus, the system will last forever.

If you want a deeper sound and a more aggressive look, go with 3". My personal opinion is that the 3" duals are overkill as the 2.5 with pitbulls is basically an open exhuast. All you're really doing with the 3" is adding a more baritone sound and adding weight.

Just my .02...

Rich

Exhaust

Go with a 2.5 inch mandrel bent cat back dual exhaust or one three inch mandrel bent. Any more than that will be too much.

The November/December 2001 Issue of GSX-Tra has some excellent information about TR Exhaust.

Larry

Ditch the cat. too. I had a high flow cat. that came with my THDP and just by removing that, actually hollowing it and putting it back on, I got 4-5psi. increase, no other changes. :)

I will be ordering a random tech. cat. for emissions and will see how well it flows and if I should leave it on my car.

Right now I don't think these cars like cats. ;)

Originally posted by UNGN
Your car doesn't "need" a 3" crossflow exhaust. You get to a point where you are just carrying around extra weight.

The ATR 3" CROSSFLOW is lighter than the ATR 2 1/2" dual setup. It's only ONE pipe and ONE muffler and exits in TWO places, that's why it's called a "crossflow". It's not the same as the 3" single that only exits in ONE pipe. Check in their catalog.

A 3" ATR DUAL setup, is there one? (two mufflers) would be heavier than an ATR 2 1/2" dual setup, primarily because of the diameter of the pipe. The mufflers are probably close to the same weight. HTH

What the ATR 2.5 system sounds like

I just put it on my car a week or so ago. Much deeper sound at idle and quiet on the street. It gets a bit loud cruising at 75 but mainly I notice it because the tone is constant. Not really a drone.

I have a sound clip of the car idling in my garage and another of it in the driveway if anyone wants it.

Stock GN with no cat and ATR 2.5 daul stainless with pitbulls.

Send me an e-mail and I will send you the MP3 of the car idling.

I would love to ditch the cat but emmissions are tough here in Massachussetts. In a few years when the car is too old for emmissions the cat will be off.

What type of exhaust will be deep and loud when you step on it???

Sorry for all the questions,
Mike

I hear ya Mike. I ran a test pipe for the year and 3/4's that it takes for emission to come up. Then it was a big pain to put the cat. back on to pass so I left it on.

In 15 years prolly 12 were run with a cat.

Never again even with tough CT emissions! A hollow one should pass any visual inspection. :)

Car runs and sounds much better without that thing. :D

Plus now I can try race gas. ;)

Dan,
Thanks for the links. I have looked at the spring cleaning one and we plan to do that stuff soon. I didn't know about the recipe but will take a closer look. Also the car will be going to Cotton's in June some time to see what needs to be done.

Thanks everyone

Mike

I currenty run an atr 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent dual exhaust system (hp116d) And I also run a 3 inch Gutted cat. It sounds real deep at idle and sounds mean at cruising. pretty pricey though, im not sure if your looking for horses. But that exhaust will take you there.

Scott