You can type here any text you want

Another WBO Bung Q

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jpratt

IS this a 'great' spot to install the bung or what? I have my DP out and getting ready to have it welded in. Just want to get a few opinions on how KevinB had his.
Thanks

Attachments

• thdp1.jpg
    thdp1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 165
  • thdp2.jpg
    thdp2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 170
  • thdp_incar.jpg
    thdp_incar.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 183
I miss my old car:(

Anyways I came up with the spot b/c it was the furthest away from the turbo I could go w/o putting it under the car.

Well after a few WOT runs and a couple high speed runs down the freeway, the WBO started reading real bad, worse than I had before. The sensor melted. Guess it should be mounted further downstream than the picture.

That sucks. Maybe try using a heat sink? My wb is in the same spot....and I have never had any problems. Too much fuel or a lack of timing can cause extreme exhaust temps from unburnt fuel. I wonder if that can be it?

That sucks. Maybe try using a heat sink? My wb is in the same spot....and I have never had any problems. Too much fuel or a lack of timing can cause extreme exhaust temps from unburnt fuel. I wonder if that can be it?

I had been chasing a lean condition, high BLMs but not extremely high. I am going to look into that heat sink. After I relocate to the lower portion of the DP. How far from the end though, that is the question?

There's a problem than location, if U R melting O2 sensors.
AKA, REAL LEAN, contributing to VERY high EGTS?
Or, maybe even very rich, and the excess fuel is burning in the pipe?

There's a problem than location, if U R melting O2 sensors.
AKA, REAL LEAN, contributing to VERY high EGTS?
Or, maybe even very rich, and the excess fuel is burning in the pipe?

I never saw the EGT get over 1550. The innovate site calls for the sensor to remain below somewhere around 900 at the bung. The sensor did not really melt like a piece of plastic, the tip looks perfect, just a few threads on the very tip melted. But it is still throwing off an overheat code.

That's strange that anything should melt that far down the pipe.
As a general rule of thumb, the turbo will drop the EGT's at least 400° by the time it leaves the turbine housing, and probably even significantly more than that by the time it gets those extra couple feet down the pipe.
I wouldn't expect the EGT's at that point to be much over 1250° on a real hot run, and unless you have a really crappy exhaust system, backpressure on th sensor shouldn't be a problem.

that sensor is pretty far back and it should be ok there. there is something going on with your car we just need to find out what it is.

unless you have a really crappy exhaust system, backpressure on th sensor shouldn't be a problem.

I have the 2.5 Stainless steel ATR exhaust with THDP. I think it is a great exhaust system. Stock headers.

that sensor is pretty far back and it should be ok there. there is something going on with your car we just need to find out what it is.

I put a piece of rubber under the vac block and reset the ECM. Took it out for a drive and the BLM's are still kinda high. about 138-142. I have not noticed any exhaust leak. I tried spraying carb cleaner all around the doghosue, TB, all IC connectors, and the IAC. No where did the engine act like it was getting the cleaner sucked in, no revving up or stalling. what would be the best way to check for an exhaust leak, a minor one?

Here is what I have
KN filter
Big mouth CAI
3" MAF
Translator
TA49
RJC Megacooler
70MM TB
Accufab upper dog house
RJC plenum plate for the Accufab
Champion ported stock intake
Champion ported iron heads
60lb injectors
TT alky chip
Alkycontrol, methanol, turned off right now to find the source of the high BLMs
210/210 roller cam
TD roller rockers
big valves, not sure what size, cant remember
stock headers
drivers size has been TIG welded by Bill Dieckman, looks great
TA49, again
THDP
stock style waste gate
RJC bleeder boost controller, boost turned down to 15
electric cutout and test pipe
ATR 2 1/2" SS exhaust with dual pitbulls

I think that wraps up the air path from filter to tip.

If you are using the Innovative sensor, it will fail there. Thats the same place we have the sensor on two of Shane's cars and we've gone through at least 4 sensors. I talked with Innovative and they told me without question the sensor needs to be under the car. I'd move it.

If you are using the Innovative sensor, it will fail there. Thats the same place we have the sensor on two of Shane's cars and we've gone through at least 4 sensors. I talked with Innovative and they told me without question the sensor needs to be under the car. I'd move it.

Thanks Jay. I already have another sensor on order and already got a spot in mind where it is going to go. Just before the last bend in the DP before the slip fitting, pointing towards the passenger door.

sounds good. so near the bottom of the dp is the best place eh. good to know. also with the location its at now i wonder if it would be ok if he used the heat sink that innovate sales.

sounds good. so near the bottom of the dp is the best place eh. good to know. also with the location its at now i wonder if it would be ok if he used the heat sink that innovate sales.
I was wondering about that also. That little thing is close to $90. I am going to use the copper plate heat sink method talked about in the LC1 manual. Basically a 4"x4" thin sheet of copper with a hole drilled in the center. Then the sensor sandwiches the copper to the bung.

its expensive but looks very well built. just wondering.

My WB sensor is mounted in the same place and I went ahead and ordered the Innovate bung extender as a preventative thing. Been my 90 mile per day daily driver for about 2 months now and no problems. I think it looks better than big ugly copper heat sink. BTW, never had a problem before I started using the bung extender/no heat sink either. Just my .02

Another $.02

IMO, using the short bungs exposes the threads, and that's not good.:eek:
The bungs I use cover the threads.
My S2 engine dp had the sensor, [seq FAST], about 12" past the gate, and I never had a problem. In fact, the sensor ran in the stock location until I read about problems there. No problem there, either. EGT'S were in the mid 1600's. Over 300 runs, on the street for many miles, all on 118...Same sensor!;)
Once you move the sensor, maybe put the EGT couple in where the sensor was, and see exactly what the temps are at that point??:cool:

Back