Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

I still have the top of my motor off and figured Id get Morel lifters while in there, but was wondering if anhone has used the new redesigned Rhoads lifter. It says it gives 50% more vacuum than the previous Rhoads. I know they traditionally click at low speed and would have to wonder if they would set off our K, (kinda like a CC!). I always like the theory of them . Anybody run them?
Thanks

I have just recently gotten into this V6 (n/a, hyd, flat tappit) and reading a great deal of info.

Did these roller motors sound this way from the factory, or is this because of all the aftermarket add-ons:confused:

To me, any kind of noise throughout paired machined surfaces is absolutely the wrong tolerance..
That particular tolerance (large or small) is taken up by fluid by deeming the hydraulic properties of ones lubricant to be a barrier between said surfaces..

One can't compress a fluid but, can change the viscosity of that fluid through that given tolerance, therefore lessening resistance, dropping operating temps, or going the other way and raising them.. (as in intra-fluid friction)
BUT, the main concern is to NOT have metal to metal contact regardless of application. But to have a thin coating of lubricant to glide between for that given action.

In that ol book (Performance V6) Jim Ruggles suggested that the Buick V6's suffered from lack of oil pressure, and also suggested that the bearing surfaces be tightened up in addition to re-machining new holes in the cam bearing walls to give more pressure getting up to the valve train. (relying on the basic physics of hydraulic pressures.. a bottle-neck anywhere in the system will cause a rise in pressure, and a open will decrease it)

Now these "stage" motors have a "NEW AND IMPROVED" oiling system right? (granted, this information is decades old, but still applies..)
Could it be that on these motors, the oil pump needs to be addressed to deliver more fluid pressure to the journals first, then pool (so to say) in the lifter galleries?
The lifter acts as another pump to suck from said galleries up to feed the rockers, correct?

Maybe the tolerances in the lifter 'pumps' is too great, and adding a larger bore in the pushrod and up to the cup of the rocker is bleeding off too much pressure therefore lessening operating pressures in the body of the lifter..??

Going back to physics as above, it doesn't matter what volume of fluid you have in a specific container (bucket or syringe), it's the size of the out-port/orifice that lets that given amount or volume fluid to escape.
SO, if there is too much tolerance in the pump area inside of the lifter body, it would make sense that either the fluid be thicker (viscosity) to keep the pump parts under pressure (preload) OR tighter tolerances in the bleeding off of that volume that just cycled..? RIGHT?

I just guess that for the given cycles of operation, it would NOT be reliable to have synthetic 'O' rings but maybe but metal compression rings like in a piston to maintain correct pressure, but I don't think it would be cost effective. Plus, ANY debris would lead to catastrophic failure Very quickly.

Just think, Mercedes doesn't have any sealing in their mechanical fuel injection systems. And they ran for decades..
Pressure was based on tolerance of the little piston inside of that particular bore. Trash introduced in the fuel would eventually gouge the walls/piston to lessen the pressure in that given bore.

I'm not trying to divert 'atta-boys' from Mike and others for their giving to the community. Just trying to figure out what the heck was the problem in the first place.. Was it only AFTER mods were made, that these ticking problems started happening?
Maybe like they say.. "TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING.." as in fluid bleed off per "High performance part(s)"

Anywho, Good info.

E

Three Morel Lifters

Recently I replaced my ever going flatter cam and lifters in my GN with Comp Cams roller cam and Morels.

Three lifters won't pump up. #1 exh, #4 exh, #6 int

The Vendor I bought them through made me pay to get the replacements.

And wants me to send the faulty lifters to his "guy" for an "inspection" in order to get my money back for the replacements............Yeah....WTF!

I'm a former racing engine builder and auto tech and a.....let's just say I know just a little.

I can't believe the actions of this vendor. It takes all kinds I guess. You can bet I'll be sure to order more parts from his business in the future.

Does anyone have a contact at Morel and their phone number?

I just want what I paid for. (12) working lifters

Regards,

Oh I need to update this.

I replaced three of the Morel pairs. Because you can't seperate them at the tie bar. Much better. All pumped up now. (I'll have to investigate those three further)
Found rockers tapping valve covers in three places. Went to original GM rockers. No more tapping. Damn asian aftermarket crap.....
Switched to 20W50 Castrol from Rotella T 15W40.
Now this is what this engine should sound like.

Nice! Runs really good with some crazy positive changes that the stock motor/cam couldn't ever produce. I've got to watch it. 70 to 100 mph requires zero effort at all. Glad I have cruise control. I don't need the tickets. A CHP friend of mine said just keep it under 80 on the highway. Otherwise my co-workers will get you. OK Will do.

I really have nothing to compare the Morels to. I never had the Comp Cams Lifters...... thanks to you guys. The Morels are a nice addition to my Buick's engine.

Now to see what about those three.

Oh I need to update this.

I replaced three of the Morel pairs. Because you can't seperate them at the tie bar. Much better. All pumped up now. (I'll have to investigate those three further)
Found rockers tapping valve covers in three places. Went to original GM rockers. No more tapping. Damn asian aftermarket crap.....
Switched to 20W50 Castrol from Rotella T 15W40.
Now this is what this engine should sound like.

Nice! Runs really good with some crazy positive changes that the stock motor/cam couldn't ever produce. I've got to watch it. 70 to 100 mph requires zero effort at all. Glad I have cruise control. I don't need the tickets. A CHP friend of mine said just keep it under 80 on the highway. Otherwise my co-workers will get you. OK Will do.

I really have nothing to compare the Morels to. I never had the Comp Cams Lifters...... thanks to you guys. The Morels are a nice addition to my Buick's engine.

Now to see what about those three.

whatever became of the lifters?

Everything running well otherwise?

Bob

whatever became of the lifters?

Everything running well otherwise?

Bob

Lifters: TA performance will not warranty the bad lifters. He/Mike is sticking to some rediculous theory that exists only in his head. Not in the real world. He didn't have enough stones to contact me directly about the lifters. He relayed a message through someone I'll call him Mr. X, that I have known for about ten years (X has built and continues to build many Buick turbo racing engines) Mr. X said "that is a BS story.........I have never seen or heard of what he is describing in all my years of building Buick or any other engines". It seems Mike doesn't realize how a Buick engine gets it's oil or the fact that it has an oil filter in that system.

This isn't my first rodeo. I used to build engines for Cosworth's Indy program and on other exotic production cars at the dealership level. I'm far from being a simple parts placer. If he's going to try and screw me, what is he going to do to you????

If you buy a set of Morels, do yourself a favor, buy them from someone else. Another vendor that might care and doesn't have an ever building bad reputation.

No worries! I have no doubt the economy will take care of TA Performance.

Engine: Running unbelieveably well for what it is.

Oh!.....Front seal leaking a bit. Not for long. It will get changed after work tomorrow.

Hey I'm just trying to save someone else time the same way you guys saved me time with the tip on the Morel Lifters.

I had PBM lifters in my engine when it arrived i found them quite noisey even after adjusting them properly. After pulling the motor out and reassembling i found at least 4 lifters stuck and wouldnt bleed off or just seized. So i ordered 853-12's they turned up from stateside after a long wait and they were unshrouded i spoke to Comp and they said there was a 853 with a different prefix that were that way..But after looking into lifters again ive noticed some of the SBC aftermarket retro fit roller lifters are shrouded the type. If you type in 853-16 or 885-16 thats the SBC kit. Howards Cams and Lunati also do these retro fit lifters to suit also... Thoughts?

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...re_Code=CC&Product_Code=885-16&Category_Code=

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2534

I had morel lifters installed in my engine when it was built and they are not much quieter than the solid rollers I had before. Disappointed to say the least. They are setting off the knock sensor at 5300 rpm even with good fuel in it. Buyer beware???

I had morel lifters installed in my engine when it was built and they are not much quieter than the solid rollers I had before. Disappointed to say the least. They are setting off the knock sensor at 5300 rpm even with good fuel in it. Buyer beware???
nature of the beast

nature of the beast

Oh I know!! It's far from a stock build now. Nature of the beast is pretty much what I was told. I guess the expectations were a little higher for the noise level. The noise I can live with, I just make sure there is no chance of real knock ,read the plugs and unplug the sensor. Not sure what else I could do.

Oh I know!! It's far from a stock build now. Nature of the beast is pretty much what I was told. I guess the expectations were a little higher for the noise level. The noise I can live with, I just make sure there is no chance of real knock ,read the plugs and unplug the sensor. Not sure what else I could do.
try a set of 885's next time

try a set of 885's next time

Would like to hear the difference between the Morels and the 885s. Would need to change only the lifters/ pushrods and leave everything else the same. Has anyone done a swap between the two?

Mike Barnard

Ive assembled engines with 885's. They all have the same exact predictable sound. Not like a 853. Not quiet either. Morrels were not quiet in the engines ive heard either.

Buyer beware! This aint a Lexus.

If you go with the more reliable, roller set up, it will click. What were talking about here is minimizing that click. Also, if you are making power, you will most likely set off the knock sensor. It may be on a shift. It may be as the tires hook, or just picking up a frequency off the drive train. Make sure that your knock sensor is only hand tight, installed with about two wraps of thread tape. Check clearences around downpipe, etc.

Mike B.

I would say the Morrell lifters are between a solid roller lifter and a stock hyd. flat tappet setup. Maybe a 75 on a 0-100 scale with 100 being the solid rollers. I wasnt expecting Lexus quiet but I was suprised at the noise after reading all the good stuff here about how quiet they are. I guess cam profile and ramp rate will also affect valvetrain noise too. Its a 218/218 .540 lift DLS grind with T&D roller rockers. Knock sensor is torqued to 9 ft/lbs. This motor is on its way to making big power as soon as this false knock situation is remedied.

Bison, What is the difference in the 885s and the 853 lifters that you have seen?