Any Member into Guns Question

You're slamming the trigger is why you are low and left due to trigger finger placement on the trigger or uneven pressure applied to the trigger upon firing. Follow this advice and report back:

Every firearm has trigger slack (unless a highly modified custom job). If there is no slack in the trigger, there is some in your trigger finger. This is due to your trigger finger flesh compressing slightly before the weapon fires, completely normal. Place the first pad of your trigger finger over the trigger and put the trigger dead smack in the middle of that first pad. Next, line up your sights. Pull STRAIGHT back on the trigger until you feel the slack taken out of the trigger and you feel your trigger finger flesh compress. Then, at that point, you know all the slack is gone, and the weapon is ready to discharge. Continue to squeeze STRAIGHT back on the trigger, with sights aligned. When the weapon fires, it should be a surprise.
When pulling the trigger, take out all slack, when you know it's gone, squeeze.
Actually say to yourself "slack, slack, squeeze"
"slack, slack, squeeze"
Take your time and pull STRAIGHT back on the trigger. It will come to ya with practice. Take plenty of time in between shots (10 seconds if you have you) to figure out youre dynamica as well as the wepons. When you figure out how much slack you need to take out, you can actually begin to take out the slack on recoil, and when your sights are back on target "squeeze". But we will save it for later. Now go practice

I have a Sig 229 Equinox. It was on a great deal from a buddy who after 2 mags found he couldn't hit squat with it.

At first the trigger is odd. Different than any other handgun I own. I have more than more than a few...

At first I wasn't really accurate with it. Thought something was wrong as he wasn't accurate with it either. I could always hit the target, just not get good groups.

Sig triggers are just odd compared to S&W, Glock, or Walther. Nothing compares the my 1911 triggers.

After a few range trips I was better, but still not great. Only an issue with the Sig. After curiosity peaked I found the E2 grip. Changed everything. I have short fat mechanic hands. With this grip, just one time out was back to being where I should be accuracy wise.

I know this post is oaf, but if you still have the 229, and are still having an issue, look into the E2 grip. Unless you have large hands, in which case it won't help.

Most marksmanship classes focus on 3 fundamentals: sight alignment, trigger squeeze and FOLLOW THROUGH. Follow through is extremely important, if youre just squeezing the trigger till it fires and jumping off the trigger, its very difficult to have any kind of accuracy.

Practice this next time you go to the range: when you shoot, shoot one shot at a time slowly and really pay attention to what is happening. As stated above, when it goes off it should be a surprise, and after it goes off CONTINUE SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER ALL THE WAY THROUGH till it stops. Don't release the trigger till the gun goes off, recoils, and your arm manages the recoil. Then reset the trigger for the next shot. Ive seen know-it-all experienced shooters who are "trigger tappers" and they wonder why theyre so inconsistent. Its because theyve never learned how to shoot correctly.

Think of it as a baseball swing, you wouldnt stop your swing as soon as the bat touches the ball, you continue to swing through it before you would reset for another swing. After you get used to this technique you can gradually increase speed for follow up shots.

When i shoot i try to critique my own missed shots and the answer is always one of the 3 fundamentals: i didnt have a clear sight picture, i jerked the trigger, or i didnt follow through.