You can type here any text you want

Any Welders?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

george_dude

I'm just getting started in tig welding and i'm looking for a welder, i'm not shure what i should buy. i guess the two determining factors are what i'm going to use it for and how much i want to spend.
I plan on using it in my garage (single phase) on race car stuff, cages, frames, and thinner aluminum.
Also, once in a while it would be nice if i could weld thicker aluminum for projects at work, jigs, fixtures, and possibly lower quantity production. Not absolutely necessary, but it would be nice.
I'm looking to spend under $1,500. For new welders that limits me to the lower end tig machines.
Does a guy like me need a newer welder (syncrowave or squarewave) with all the bells and whistles?
Will an older dial-arc or idealarc do the trick?
Should i stick to only miller and lincoln?

let me know what you think.
george

I bought a Lincoln Synchrowave 275 late last year. The water cooled tip and pulser are a must have in my opinion. For $1500 bux you might opt for a small mig welder with a tig attachement. I have a picture of imy 275 in the bed of my Chevy on my website. It started raining when I pulled in the driveway with it. Had to let all the air out of the tires to get the truck and welder in the garage. Definitely a sight to see : ) Good luck...Scott

If you can save up around 2200.00

The dynasty 200 is a great welder. It has more bells and whistles, like a pulser,sequencer,adjustable frequency {mainly for aluminum}, and to top it all off you can plug it into a 110 or 220 outlet whithout having to change a thing. I forgot to mention that it only weighs 43 pounds. The amp draw is 31 amps at it's peak.

Look on e-bay if your looking for a used welder. You can find fantastic deals on syncrowave 250,300,350, you name it and it can be found. Lincoln squarewave machines are a good find as well. The only problem with any transformer design tig welder {synchrowaves {miller} or squarewaves {lincoln} and the older welders is the main line amp draw is big}

Try to get into the newer squarewave technology, it's not so much for doing steels, it's for the aluminum where the squarewave technology shines.

If your looking for an inverter-type tig welder, take a look at thermadyne. They have the Prowave 185, which is priced very competitively.

Also take a look at the Hobart Welding message board: http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/ There is a lot of useful info there.

..Mike

hey blackplague is the $2200 for just the power supply or the whole setup?
and mikey, what's very competitively priced? i can't find pricing any where on thermalarc.

george

geroge

The 2200 price was on ebay the last time i looked. They have them all over the place on ebay and that's the buy now price. 2200 was complete with torch, foot pedal, regulator, and possibly a stinger {for arc welding}. I think all you have to do is add a cylinder of argon.

Back