Anybody buy a car on e-bay sight unseen or sight unseen in general?

BMS1

Anyone buy their car sight unseen? Seems like the auctions are too short if you wanted to inspect the car beforehand, especially if the car is not in the same region of the US as where you live. I have seen a decent amount of nice cars on e-bay, I have not bid just because I am a bit weary buying a car that I have not seen. What someone says is in great condition is not always the same as yours. Everyone has there own interpretation.

I know you can eleviate some of this by using one of those car inspections services for a fee, but I just wonder how knowledgeable these inspectors are of the Turbo Regals and would they know what to look for, I think they just go over the basics. I am sure asking the right questions, asking for specific pictures will help but obviously not the same as seeing the car in person.

It would just suck when that transportation service arrives with your car, opens the door and its not in the condition you thought it was going to be or mechanically it needed work that you did not anticipate.

I am just curious what people's thoughts were on this, and what there experience was

Thanks Brian

Bought both GN's that way. Mine from Chicago(1100 miles) away.Could have backed out when I got there but didn't,(not EXACTLY as described) Wifes from Jax (360 miles), abolute great deal. It's like everything else in life, you take your chances and hope for the best, and what ever you decide -- deal with it. Good luck.

Bought a 740IL BMW ,,Awesome car
Bought a 2001 GMC Jimmy,Nice
Bought a 1987 Limited ,so,so..

PERSONALLY I WOULD SPEND THE MONEY to GO SEE IT 1st.

So you spend $200 to allivate THOUSANDS in headaches later.

Done it on my last 2 GN's First one I would have lowered the offer had I known how much more it was going to cost (a/c,radiator,injectors, timing chain-which led to the engine puking) The last one I should have backed out completely-frame rotten, trunk floor rotten, and all kinds of problems. Bottom line-never again!!!

Bought my TTA on ebay...figured with 5300 miles, what could be wrong...it was perfect.
Later bought a 79 TA on ebay, when I picked it up, I did have second thoughts, not because it wasnt described properly, but was afraid to drive is across the desert (so. Cal and Ariz) with a leaking radiator and waterpump.....but did anyway and made it :)

I bought my GNX Sight Unseen, however I had a TurboBuick Vendor inspect if before I bought it. If you do plan to buy a car sight unseen. You can hire a 3rd party inspection service that goes out, and does a full report on the condition of the car.

My Experience with buying the GNX without seeing it was good. Car needed a little bit of cleaning which I did not think it did at the time of the buy, but it was very minor detail work.

I would try to find a board member in the area that can look over the car for you if you are that interested in buying!

sight unseen

I would have to be on some BAD DOPE to buy a car sight unseen. As you said in the first post. Everyones idea of good is not the same.

When I went to buy my GN a little over 5 years ago, I looked over descriptions of close to a hundred first, then pics of some maybe thirty to forty, and then filtered it down to about three to four from there. I flew to NC to look at a GN with the funds to buy it if it was as described, it was and I've had it ever since. If it I hadn't bought that one, I was going to go to the airport and fly to TX to see another one. I also bought my Audi that way, flew to NY to buy it.

I bought my '83 TType off eBay from Washington. I planned that it was going to be a basket case, but the price was right. The interior turned out to be a lot dirtier than it looked in the pictures, but that was going to get pulled anyway.
I've also bought a SeaDoo from Florida, and a SeaDoo motor from Texas. I have a friend who bought a $800 watch and a $900 saddle.

Bottom line - bid as though its the biggest piece of junk out there, and if it is, you still come out ahead!

I bought my 99 Trans Am on ebay, but it was from a reputable dealer in Texas and they offered a money back guarantee. While I would have lost the money to ship it, I figured for the price I paid for the car and the condition it seemed to be in it was worth it. And it definitely was, except for the fact the speakers were all blown in the car it was exactly as pictured and described and I couldnt be happier. I paid about $5000 less than I would have paid for a comparable TA here in NY. Oh it was bone stock also, I wouldnt have done it if it had mods etc...

Would I do it again, yes and no... Yes if it was a newer car like this one from a dealer, no if it was a GN or TTA, unless either I could inspect it or a reputable board member would do it for me, or if I was buying it from a reputable board member. Id also probably buy a hoopty on ebay, only because you cant expect much for a sub $1000 car.

Found mt T Type on Ebay....wasn't sight unseen though because I found out the car was 10 minutes from my house.:cool:

I would like to believe that I would never buy a vehicle sight unseen, off of e-bay or anywhere else for that matter. And you people that have bought sight unseen several years back and came out ok, or feel that it was a fair dea: keep in mind that the chances grow slimmer every day of satisfaction due to the fact that there are not the number of nice vehicles today than was available 5 or so years ago. So the chances of your success as a happy satisfied sight unseen buyer are less. And over the years, especially since 9/11, peoples ethical codes have changed. Probably not for the better as there are people out there that need money, that did not need money before then. Also due to the increased activity on the internet, I think that there are more scam artists out there now selling on the net. Just my own feelings and beliefs, though. Interestingly enough, though, in my own grocery shopping, I do see more errors than years back, and they always seem to be in favor of the store these days.

One of the great things about being on the board and being in contact with so many turbo Buick owners across the country and even out of the country (anybody need any GNs in Germany inspected?) is the fact that you have a good chance of finding someone who is willing to 'inspect' the car for you. Of course, that person may not be a professional and you are still relying on opinions, but it is a good way to get a second opinion.

I know in my case I've gone out a few times with a digital camera and inspected cars and sent the pics back. Showing famous rust spots, condition of interior, even how it's performance, my impression of the seller, where the car has been kept, etc. By doing this, you can also get a 'customized' inspection being able to request what about the car you want looked at depending on your personal needs and specifications.

I flew cross country to buy a Turbo Buick only to be dissapointed.

Didn't want to waste the trip though, so I ended up driving home a 78 Trans Am.