You can type here any text you want

Anybody Run 275/60-15 BFG Drag Radial's on the Street???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ReaL99

I was just wondering because I have 15x8 Weld Draglites with 3.5 Inch backspacing.I also have air bags.One day some air got out out the air bags and the tires rubbed and slit the tire's slightly.Also on a long trip it bent the left quarter panel out slightly but it was easily fixed.I like the 28 Inch tire's because they yield better traction.Also I have 3.73 Gears and I worry with the 26 Inch tall tire that I might encounter major traction problems on the street.I need new tire's.Trying to decide on the right set.

I was just wondering because I have 15x8 Weld Draglites with 3.5 Inch backspacing.I also have air bags.One day some air got out out the air bags and the tires rubbed and slit the tire's slightly.Also on a long trip it bent the left quarter panel out slightly but it was easily fixed.I like the 28 Inch tire's because they yield better traction.Also I have 3.73 Gears and I worry with the 26 Inch tall tire that I might encounter major traction problems on the street.I need new tire's.Trying to decide on the right set.

I'd have to check my backspacing, but I run a 15x8 draglite with a 275/60r15 with no problems. I am running a bfg dr though and I have heard the MT's have a little wider contact patch, but good luck getting some of them right now.

Curiously, I do have a set of 15"x8" GN wheels with some 275-60-15 Good Years (28" tall !) and rear spacing of 3.5" and I never experienced any rubbing problem with that setup. It's relatively close to the frame (I'd say 1/2"), but it definitely does not rub at all neither on the frame or fender lip. I must say that I rolled the lip though. Maybe you should roll yours?...Other than that, the only thing that I can think of is that maybe the rear axle is not centered under the car...?...Does the rubbing problem happens more on one side of the car than the other?...
Hope this helps...
Claude :smile:

we had some with a 3 1/2" backspace and they hit the fenders ..4 1/2 and they are really close to the frame. sooo we just added a 1/4" spacer and all was fine :cool:

Here is a sample of my BFG's and what they would look like if you decide to go with it... that's with 4" B/S and 15X8 rims.

Attachments

• DSCF2261.jpg
    DSCF2261.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 640
we had some with a 3 1/2" backspace and they hit the fenders ..4 1/2 and they are really close to the frame. sooo we just added a 1/4" spacer and all was fine :cool:

Ok I thought that the 3.5 Inch backspacing put the wheel closer to the frame then the 4.5 Inch backspacing.Maybe I should go with the 4.5 Inch backspacing so the tire stays closer to the frame.I always thought the 3.5 Inch backspacing put the tire closer to the frame.:rolleyes:

Ok I thought that the 3.5 Inch backspacing put the wheel closer to the frame then the 4.5 Inch backspacing.Maybe I should go with the 4.5 Inch backspacing so the tire stays closer to the frame.I always thought the 3.5 Inch backspacing put the tire closer to the frame.:rolleyes:

You really want to use the 3.5" B/S for better clearance and for a deep dish look... Keep in mind the less the B/S, the more the rim will stick out. The only reason why I went with those rims is because it was a very good deal I couldn't let pass. :cool: I think 3.5" or 4" is good with the BFG 275/60/15's, I have about an inch of clearance on the inside wall. Trust me that's pretty close. Then again others may have a different opinion on what work for them, just my .2cts

You really want to use the 3.5" B/S for better clearance and for a deep dish look... Keep in mind the less the B/S, the more the rim will stick out. The only reason why I went with those rims is because it was a very good deal I couldn't let pass. :cool: I think 3.5" or 4" is good with the BFG 275/60/15's, I have about an inch of clearance on the inside wall. Trust me that's pretty close. Then again others may have a different opinion on what work for them, just my .2cts

Well I thought that the 3.5 Inch B/S would make the rim stick less far out then the 4 or 4.5 inch Backspacing.Maybe Im misunderstanding this.All I know is that unless I pump up the airbags I don't have the problem.What I don't like is that sometimes air gets out of them occasionally thats when the tires rub.I would hate to mess up a brand new set of tires Im about to order.I know going with a 26 Inch tall tire would definately solve the problem no doubt.I have 3.73 Gear's though and I think the 28 Inch tall tire hooks alot better on the street.

Melissa's GN has had both.. 3.5s hit the 1/4 panel.. we DRIVE the car everywhere.. I hate the sounds of a tire hitting when your goin around a curve or hit a small bump .. soooo 4.5 with a 1/4" spacer worked great . PLUS I don't like the way the tire looks with the 3.5" .. Tires "almost" sticking out are not for us .. Oh ya .. don't like the "look" ya get when ya try and cure the problem with air bags :rolleyes: ... BUT " to each their own" :p 4" I think is very good but not many wheel company's have that backspace.. good luck :cool:

Melissa's GN has had both.. 3.5s hit the 1/4 panel.. we DRIVE the car everywhere.. I hate the sounds of a tire hitting when your goin around a curve or hit a small bump .. soooo 4.5 with a 1/4" spacer worked great . PLUS I don't like the way the tire looks with the 3.5" .. Tires "almost" sticking out are not for us .. Oh ya .. don't like the "look" ya get when ya try and cure the problem with air bags :rolleyes: ... BUT " to each their own" :p 4" I think is very good but not many wheel company's have that backspace.. good luck :cool:

Well it looks like I will have to order new wheels as well as tire's.My tire's got slash marks in them from bouncing underneath the quarter panel.Its too much of a hassle every time I turn a sharp corner or especially hit bums.Luckily my wheels are not in great shape either.Actually I kind of like the look of the tire sticking out a bit and the back slightly raised.Not worth ruining new tire's and risking the quarter panels.

grumpy,i agree i don't like the look and the way the car drove with the 28 inch tires and 15-20psi in the back.the balance of the car was totally affected,that was untill i put 28 inch tall tires on the front as well.car sits level and the 28 inch tires fill the wheel wells good;)

grumpy,i agree i don't like the look and the way the car drove with the 28 inch tires and 15-20psi in the back.the balance of the car was totally affected,that was untill i put 28 inch tall tires on the front as well.car sits level and the 28 inch tires fill the wheel wells good;)

This is what concerns me with the next set of tires that I have to order soon.The 28 inch tall tire feels very awkward for a street driven car.My problem is that I had 3.73 Gear's installed a few years back and that might take me out of the power range to quickly.:rolleyes: I should have stuck with the 3.42's.

other items to look at, besides the tire/wheel sizes:
1: Body centered on frame.
2. Springs sagging.
3. Poor shocks.
4. Bad body mounts.
5. Location of axle in wheel well.
Also, if the law stops you, they may well write a ticket for the tires having insuffiient tread depth. Most all states have minimum depth requirements, and will bust that a$$, especially if you are in a wreck.

Also, if the law stops you, they may well write a ticket for the tires having insuffiient tread depth. Most all states have minimum depth requirements, and will bust that a$$, especially if you are in a wreck.

Aint no way I'd ever run a set of BFG's on the street again. Out of all of the DR choices I think BFG is the worst. I aint too fond of the other brands either. Here's a thread about the dangers of running "street slicks". http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/220744-those-rideing-mt-et-streets.html

Aint no way I'd ever run a set of BFG's on the street again. Out of all of the DR choices I think BFG is the worst. I aint too fond of the other brands either. Here's a thread about the dangers of running "street slicks". http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/220744-those-rideing-mt-et-streets.html

I can't say I agree with that, but to each there own. I personally never get the car out in the rain or if there is a possibility of rain. Hell the clean up alone after driving the car in the rain is not worth it!;) Anyways I have been running DR's since they came out on this car and my old mustang. I have never had a problem.

real99,i run 411 gears with the 28 inch front and rears;)

I like the 3.73 Gear's but on the street with a 26 inch tall tire when doing a launch I don't know if it would hook.With the 28's I went sideways a bit around full boost after about a 5lb launch.That was with no burn out.Driving on the street though the 26 inch tall tire makes the car feel like it has more pep.

Are you sure?? I am fairly certain Weld never made a 4" BS draglite...

The Weld Draglite's come with a wheel that is 15x8 with both a 4 and a 4.5 Inch Backspacing?? That would solve my problem Im sure.My tire just sticks out a little to much with the 3.5 Inch Backspacing.I have always thought the Draglite's looked the best on Turbo Regals.:cool:

Back