anyone ever burn oil out the tailpipes and...

shoot me

do the heads have to come off to install new guides with the proper clearance?
(sorry im not familiar with valve train lingo)

Not to be the barrer of bad tides an hope is not your case, But...My press-in Piston Pin came out an was riding the #4 cylinder wall ....Brand new build,I guess happened on the Dyno, I wasn't there (An was Pissed about) They gave me the car,It Ran ok ,the Oil pressure was a little bouncy,No smoke.. ,but every now an then ,Whoosh out the tail pipe white cloud,after 3 full tanks of gas cruising, clouds got worse an worst,Finally after searching everything you stated above,pulled the motor an found the Piston Pin damage...I wound up sleeving that cylinder but cracked it on this last explosion..(boost line slid off,30psi + from gt71),lol..8^(,Lesson # 452451 on my journey's , Go chrome molly sleeve if you have to if it's even repairable..If not it's another block

Good Luck

i know i know,

when i turn off closed loop and lean out the idle it seems to go away, also tested the module and the center coils skip out sometimes...once the module gets hot

still trying to figure out why it would drag oil with it, but apparently it does

I was told not tothe use closed loop idle, the lope of a performance cam will screw with it...are you sure you aren't seeing smoke from a rich condition? Raise the rpm in which the xfi will start correcting and then tune the idle. Even turbo tweak chips do this once they adjust the 1stit time.

yea man, those 83lb injectors dont like closed loop idle much,

its amazing after driving for a bit, it can idle for 5 mins with no smoke then all of a sudden it will start- at this point it will go lean/rich lean/rich and so on...

Check to see if the valve seals popped off the valve guides and are just riding along with the valve...this has happened to me before!

this was it!!!
used the fel-pro blue viton seals, took the valve covers off and they were up in the air, replaced them with the manley full jacketed viton seals and no more smoke. Now if these pop off the guides im going to glue the sob's

sure do,

man-24043-8, i would post the link to summit but their blocked on my work computer :(

they looked and worked better than the felpro's?

here is a pic of Manley's

Attachments

• man-24043-8_w.jpg
    man-24043-8_w.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 80
yea,

apparently they grab better and the steel jacket doesnt let the viton stretch out as much.

mind you, these are on champion heads where exhaust seals are neccesary, and at the same time i put your ignition system on so it could be a combination of things

as much as I'd like to take credit for it, I think the seals were what fixed the smoking. :)

Bob

the crazy thing about it is,

when we put the felpro's on, the car immediately smoked just like before, the seals must have popped right off afterward and been riding the stem all along!

Kidglok, the seals you posted a link for are for guides with a .500 diameter. Were they hard to push on? I have a set of Champions and .530 guide seals are kind of a loose fit and .500 seem impossible to go on. I think I'm going to try gluing mine down. I also have similar smoking issues and my seals ride up the guide as well.

this was it!!!
used the fel-pro blue viton seals, took the valve covers off and they were up in the air, replaced them with the manley full jacketed viton seals and no more smoke. Now if these pop off the guides im going to glue the sob's

Cool, glad you figured it out....at least its a cheap and easy fix!:)