anyone ever burn oil out the tailpipes and...

kidglok

Balls Deep
it wasnt the pcv....blocked off or unrestricted, running breathers on each vc
it wasnt the intake valve guides....had them changed
it wasnt the turbo....no oil in dp or exhaust side, also tried a different one that was new
it wasnt the intake....took it off, used sealant around the valley pan gasket, and on the heads
it must not be the rings....doesnt happen at boost, only at idle once the car warms up, and compression is 160's
it must not be getting into the combustion chamber....all the plugs are clean

its a fresh rebuild, about 1500 miles. Same champion irons that were on the old build, and it didnt smoke then. i searched and searched and searched and did not seem to a thread that pointed to something other than what i have checked so far. Its definitely blue smoke and smells like oil. It does not smoke while warming up, only when it idles for a bit after it comes up to temp. The only thing i was thinking was maybe the exhaust valve seals? but i dont think the champions use them?

where the heck could it be coming from????

Buick doesn't use exhaust valve seals. I'm stretching on this one so bare with me... What kind of oil did you break the motor in with for the first 1,000 miles, or are still using?

I used 20w50 conventional. It didn't seem to smoke so much then I changed to royal purple 10w40 after. As soon as I put the synthetic in it started smoking again. Have recently switched back to 20w50 conventional but it's still smoking.

If your ported heads have the exhaust guides cut down to the same height as your intake guide then slap some seals on them, bet that's the problem.

Slow91z said:
If your ported heads have the exhaust guides cut down to the same height as your intake guide then slap some seals on them, bet that's the problem.

It's worth a shot, I'll try anything right now. But why would it need that all of a sudden after a rebuild? The heads were never touched, only for a cleanup mill after I torched a set of Cometics.

And besure it has TTA style smooth stem valves.

Maybe guide wear, maybe you oiling system is working better and keeping more oil in the valve covers, maybe your oil drain back isn't great...don't know which and there's probably more theories as well.

Maybe guide wear, maybe you oiling system is working better and keeping more oil in the valve covers, maybe your oil drain back isn't great...don't know which and there's probably more theories as well.

ive wondered about my oiling system. I get about 65psi cold start idle, 40 hot idle/60 hot cruise. Figured it could be a lot of oil pressure, funny thing is i had more on the old build when i had the 80psi spring in the oil pump, combined with a high volume pump and a booster plate :eek:

depends on how the heads were done.

put them on both if the heads are set up for it.

Bob

I don't know.

I know you can get them set up with different springs, so there may be variations to how they set up the valves and seals.

Most likely, they are set up for seals on both.

Bob

TurboBob said:
I don't know.

I know you can get them set up with different springs, so there may be variations to how they set up the valves and seals.

Most likely, they are set up for seals on both.

Bob

Thanks bob, I'll take another look. I did the k750 roller spring upgrade so maybe that has something to do with it.

Check to see if the valve seals popped off the valve guides and are just riding along with the valve...this has happened to me before!

Check to see if the valve seals popped off the valve guides and are just riding along with the valve...this has happened to me before!

ive heard of that myself, will have to check it out!

btw- does anyone know the correct size for the valve seals? i called for tom at champion but he did not return my call and i dont wanna bug him about it, im sure hes very busy.

update

still smoking, i changed the valve seals to viton on intake and exhaust. I had the manifold off to check a few things and i noticed this buildup on all the intake valves!!!
could this be the culprit???

Attachments

• IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 202