You can type here any text you want

Anyone ever use one of these? Timing Chain R&R....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turboc87gn

Darkside in Detroit
My car has stock engine and 117,000 miles,my water pump is taking a dump. Im thinking while im in there ill do the timing chain h&r mounts,and clean up the grunge....Car runs fine I bought a Rollmaster standard chain for evenfire engines, and im wondering if i should replace the cam sensor with a new one and get the RJC tab for it,i was looking at this.....http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...-Regal/_/N-iidqmZ9gsn2?itemIdentifier=66236_0 Anyone have success with this?

Should i use this and keep the old one for a spare, use the old one and add the tab to it? Or wait cause the power tour is in a week, replace the waterpump, and do all this tearing into my engine afterward lol !!!

If you're going on the power tour, I'd recommend just doing the water pump and leave all the other stuff till after you get back. Personally, on such specific parts as the cam sensor, I'd much rather support one of our supporting vendors rather than autozone!

Please don't go to vatozone. You can get a new cam sensor from one of our vendors or rockauto for a better price and much better service. I do agree with Dave though, if you're planning on going on the power tour replace the water pump and watch everything else just in case. Do any other repairs/mods once you get back.:)

remember a few years ago when those cam sensors were selling for like $59? then someone bought all of them up and they were unavailable, and then they came back out again for the insane price you see now..

My car has stock engine and 117,000 miles,my water pump is taking a dump. Im thinking while im in there ill do the timing chain h&r mounts,and clean up the grunge....Car runs fine I bought a Rollmaster standard chain for evenfire engines, and im wondering if i should replace the cam sensor with a new one and get the RJC tab for it,i was looking at this.....http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...-Regal/_/N-iidqmZ9gsn2?itemIdentifier=66236_0 Anyone have success with this?

Should i use this and keep the old one for a spare, use the old one and add the tab to it? Or wait cause the power tour is in a week, replace the waterpump, and do all this tearing into my engine afterward lol !!!

I do respect other members claiming to wait until the power tour is over, but then again if your engine is stock and then I'm gathering so is your camshaft nylon gear. Some other well know members has replaced this camshaft gear even at very low mileage. I'm in the process of replacing the timing chain, chain tensioner, both sprockets with steel, cam button, timing cover crankshaft seal, crankshaft sensor, and camshaft position sensor, and my engine is also stock with 90,000 miles. As you can see mine has only one tooth missing, where as other members has claimed the camshaft nylon gear was missing almost half the teeth's. This is a decision you have to make, is the power tour worth it or rebuilding your engine?
I do agree with Dave and Charlief1 of getting the camshaft position sensor through one of the board vendors, better price.

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
And in contrast I could show you my original cam sprocket with just over 130,000 miles on it, and it still looks new. The tensioner has very little wear.

And in contrast I could show you my original cam sprocket with just over 130,000 miles on it, and it still looks new. The tensioner has very little wear.

As I said before Dave no disrespect to you or other members, one don't know what shape the camshaft nylon gear looks like until you pulled it out.

Seems we have a delema? Can you get the parts and have her back together in a week?!

Ive never done a timing chain on a buick and with all the searches i did it appears to do it open pandoras box with removing crossover and oil pan plus setting the cam sensor ...noone local stocks gaskets..sheeesh....i think im gonna do the water pump and call it good....What vendor has the cam sensor more reasonable? Nos 4 gn wants $300 for one...

What vendor has the cam sensor more reasonable? Nos 4 gn wants $300 for one...
Just keep an eye on the for sale section and they pop up fairly often. If you go to the bottom of the main forum page you can find a list of all the vendors and see what they might have in stock.:)

Thanks charlie.....well the gn officially has a new water pump now, that was a scarry job twistin out those old bolts prayin they dont snap as the pile of steel on aluminum corrosion comes out!!!

Just be glad you didn't snap a bolt off, believe me.:oops: I've spent more than my fair share of time trying to get a cover off that had a corrosion issue on the long bolts and most of them were either Buicks or ferds.:mad:

Back