Anyone experience spider gear failure using synthetics

Fuelie600

A fellow racer and freind recently told me of two seperate rr carrier spider gears failures he had. Both coming after he switched to a 75w synthetic gear oil made by a popular gear manufactuer. He's not certain that the synthetic is the cause, but had no problems prior to the change and no problems since the return to conventional gear oil. Both incidents happened while initiating his burn out and the water box being somewhat drier on one side. First he broke a spider gear, and a month later he seized a spider gear to the pin. I will say that he was not using Mobil 1 or Red Line, whether that would of made any difference. Any one with simular experiences? By the way, Jims car is not a Buick but the concern still applies to all racers, so I thought I would post for some insight into this. Thanks Brian

i switched to synthetic in a super t-10 4 speed in one of my elcamio's that only ran high 12's which is nothing for the super t-10 and within a month of switching it broke a tooth off the input shaft gear.

i switched to synthetic oil in a sb chevy motor also and not long after the switch it lost some cam lobes.

i dont use synthetic in nothing any more.

Tom's Differentials is written up a lot in Car Craft, Hot Rod, etc., he's supposed to set up some of the hottest rear ends in the country. You can check with him, he's in Paramount, CA. I don't think he will warantee any of his setups if you use synthetic.

I think he recommends Tork or Lucas rear end oils. You can usually find them at truck stops.

I've personally used 85W Mobil 1 in my rear for years without problem, but in Jim's case it was Richmond 75W recommended by Richmond gear at the time he installed his spool. Has anyone here used Richmond 75W Synthetic? (good or bad). Brian

I have seen a lot of failures from synthetics in driveline parts.
Ford has been using synthetics in the trucks and Mustangs and has had lots of bearing failures in both. A friend of mine spoke to Reider Racing and they told him not to use the synthetics so there must be something to it.