You can type here any text you want

Anyone got any ideas on front spring removal on bare frame?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
The rear came apart no problem. Gonna tackle the front suspension either tonight or tomorrow. I'm guessing a spring tool is going to be a must?:confused:

take out the shocks and pop the balljoints loose by loosening the nuts a few turns- but not all the way off- and whacking the spindle with a hammer to pop them loose, put your floor jack under the lower balljoint and wrap a heavy chain- 1/4" links or bigger- around the frame and down to the front axle of the floor jack. leave plenty of room for the arm to swing down.
pump up the jack and compress the spring just a little bit, and take the balljoint nuts off. then s-l-o-w-l-y let the jack down until the spring pops out.

Bare frame with no motor or tub bolted onto it? Just pop the lower ball joint after you remove the shock and sway bar link. A stock spring should hang up in the spring pocket of the lower arm. Push the arm all the way down on its arc and use a pry bar to pop it out. There aint any finger busting force holding it in anyway. You're going to have fun putting the spring back in without any weight on the frame.

Yeah, I know it's gonna be a blast putting the car back together:mad: ! Can't wait to bolt the body back up adn put the dash in-OH WHAT FUN:biggrin:

You think if I threw the complete motor and tranny on the frame it would be enough weight? I wanna put the frame back underneath just like how I pulled it out-VERY CAREFULLY;) So I'm not gonna have too big of a problem going out, no knots on the head or busted face??? I'll try getting out there tonight and pull the rest of it apart. Got the rear off but can't get the bolts to break on where the LCAs bolt to the rear-WTF? Other than that it has been going smooth. I'd like to keep the springs beings the car sat good with them and they aren't too beat up. Any problem with putting por15 on them or should I just use paint?

Yeah, I know it's gonna be a blast putting the car back together:mad: ! Can't wait to bolt the body back up adn put the dash in-OH WHAT FUN:biggrin:

You think if I threw the complete motor and tranny on the frame it would be enough weight? I wanna put the frame back underneath just like how I pulled it out-VERY CAREFULLY;) So I'm not gonna have too big of a problem going out, no knots on the head or busted face??? I'll try getting out there tonight and pull the rest of it apart. Got the rear off but can't get the bolts to break on where the LCAs bolt to the rear-WTF? Other than that it has been going smooth. I'd like to keep the springs beings the car sat good with them and they aren't too beat up. Any problem with putting por15 on them or should I just use paint?
no need for a motor- just use my chain trick. it works- i took a bare Nova subframe (imagine your frame cut off about 3 feet behind the firewall) apart using that method. all the forces are contained within the chain- it works even better than having the weight of the motor/trans in the car.

Borrow spring compressor from Auto Zone. The one that has a large fork looking thing and a large threaded bolt that screws on to two different lenght hooks. Remove shock. Put hook and bolt assembly through bottom control arm shock hole and hook the top of the spring. Leave enough threaded bolt on bottom of shock hole to slide fork on bolt assembly. Use an impact or whatever to tighten the dog cr**p out of it to compress the spring. And use plenty of Beer.That is the way I took mine off. I haven't done it yet but I bet you can use the bolt and hook assembly to reinstall the spring by running the bolt through the top shock hole and catching the spring on the bottom. Good luck and don't hurt your self.:biggrin:

Borrow spring compressor from Auto Zone. The one that has a large fork looking thing and a large threaded bolt that screws on to two different lenght hooks. Remove shock. Put hook and bolt assembly through bottom control arm shock hole and hook the top of the spring. Leave enough threaded bolt on bottom of shock hole to slide fork on bolt assembly. Use an impact or whatever to tighten the dog cr**p out of it to compress the spring. And use plenty of Beer.That is the way I took mine off. I haven't done it yet but I bet you can use the bolt and hook assembly to reinstall the spring by running the bolt through the top shock hole and catching the spring on the bottom. Good luck and don't hurt your self.:biggrin:

That is exactly how I did it. Reinstallation is just a ton of fun :rolleyes: Probably should use paint on the springs, I think POR would want to crack and peel off unless they are very rusty. Glad to hear the project is coming along.

Back