Anyone here have an STS-V?

87Jen

I recently bought a certified pre-owned Cadillac 2006 STS-V and when I start it each morning or after is has set for a few hours, the engine has a rattling/clattering sound when I start it. It lasts for about 1 second when starting and reminds me of the sound of a diesel engine cranking up. I left it overnight at the Cadillac dealer I purchased it from and they said it was normal and it was just the oil going up into the supercharger. I haven't had the oil changed yet so I don't know if it has the recommended ac delco oil filter on it or not, I just assume it does since it was certified when I purchased it. It just doesn't sound normal to me so I was wondering if any of you have experienced the same noise. If not, should I take it to another dealer and get a second opinion? :confused:

Many of the LS based engines have that rattle.. Some folks w/ Vettes have had big time arguements w/ the stealership service depts concerning this.
Not uncommon.
Maybe do a search on the vette forums, or at LS1TECH - Powered by vBulletin. They have a CTS forum.

Many of the LS based engines have that rattle.. Some folks w/ Vettes have had big time arguements w/ the stealership service depts concerning this.
Not uncommon.
Maybe do a search on the vette forums, or at LS1TECH - Powered by vBulletin. They have a CTS forum.

I thought my 6.0L had "piston slap" for 5 years and I should "live with it" when it turned out my flexplate was cracked and had been hanging on by broken metal for 5 years.

The engine is quiet, now.

I'm definitely going to take it to another dealership. There's no way this noise is normal. I don't see why they would make an engine that would sound like this does!

Thanks guys

I left it overnight at the Cadillac dealer I purchased it from and they said it was normal and it was just the oil going up into the supercharger. I haven't had the oil changed yet so I don't know if it has the recommended ac delco oil filter on it or not, I just assume it does since it was certified when I purchased it. It just doesn't sound normal to me so I was wondering if any of you have experienced the same noise.

Heres a copy&paste of a TSB I found. Interesting on the SC noise. And I also found a bulletin on using the correct oil filter too.

PIP4018: Noise From Supercharger In Reverse - keywords clatter idle knock - (Jan 9, 2007)

Subject: Noise From Supercharger in Reverse

Models: 2006-2007 Cadillac STS-V XLR-V

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The customer may have a concern of a knock noise or clatter coming from the engine compartment when the vehicle is in reverse at idle.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Because of the way the supercharger bypass is controlled , in drive / idle we are bypassing (no supercharger load) but in reverse / idle we are not bypassing (supercharger is loading engine) This load combined with the engine torsion causes the supercharger torsional isolator to bottom against its internal stops (limiters). This bottoming is what we perceive as the knock. Some engines seem to have slightly higher torsions and will knock in reverse. However with miles (break-in) the torsions diminish and the knock is lessened. Replacement of engine or supercharger will most likely not fix the vehicle.

This should be considered a normal characteristic and will diminish with mileage.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

I have an appointment to leave it this next Friday at another dealership. I'll let you know what they have to say about it when I get back from the Coca Cola 600. :biggrin:

the "V" is supercharged too??:eek:

Yes, the STS-V is supercharged, too. It's the 4.6L Northstar de-bored to 4.4L so that there is more room for meatier head gaskets. But GM won't acknowledge a head gasket problem on the standard 4.6L Northstar. Tell that to my dad whose Deville head gasket just blew.

Definitely a sweet ride though. 469 HP is nothing to sneeze at. It looks like the OP is getting a second opinion on the rattle. It definitely does not sound normal.

Jim

Very nice ride,,,

I hope U get the matter worked out. heres a lil info on that rocketship U have. I need to warn my fellow TB brothers and sisters. 4.4 Liter Northstar V8 SC
With more horsepower than any production Cadillac ever, the radically new 4.4L Northstar V8 SC positive displacement, intercooled supercharged engine in STS-V produces a staggering 469 hp @ 6400 rpm and 439 lb-ft of torque @ 3900 rpm. Those 469 horses give STS-V elite status among other thoroughbreds in its class. They also propel STS-V to reach 60 mph in 4.8 seconds – all without ever breaking a sweat.
Ergonomically Placed Controls
Ergonomically positioned controls and instrumentation put you fully in command – allowing clear driver information and maximum focus on the road. While leather seats with perforated sueded fabric inserts help keep you in place despite forces to the contrary.
6-Speed Automatic Transmission
The supercharged 4.4L in STS-V is ideally teamed with a performance-tuned 6-speed automatic transmission, one of the most technologically progressive automatic transmissions on the road. It uses clutch-to-clutch operation and an integrated 32-bit controller for ultra-smooth shifting. Move the gear selector to the right side of the gate and Driver Shift Control provides clutchless manual shifting, ingeniously engineered to put the massive pavement-branding torque to its forceful best.

It is sweet!

You forgot to mention the 15-speaker Bose 5.1 surround sound audio system:biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_3015.jpg
    IMG_3015.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 241
I just spoke with the service department at the dealership where I took my STS-V for a second opinion on the clattering noise. They said that they believe it to be a bad lifter and they want to replace the lifters on it. :confused:

Problem solved

I got my STS-V back yesterday. The dealer replaced the lifters and the cam actuators. It's now nice and quiet. :D

Seems like it has more power too which is even better! :cool: ;)