Anyone live in Sioux City, Iowa or around it?

Raymond Bunch

"Turbo Enthusiast"
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone live in the Sioux City, Iowa area? I will be retiring from the Marine Corps in the next few months and would like to know what this city has to offer. Honestly though, if it doesn't have car shows, cruises and a drag strip nearby, I'll have to redirect my thought efforts elsewhere. There are something's that I just can't live without. Like everything new when moving, it will take time to get adjusted too. I'm up to the challenge though. In short, this is the reason why I would like to come to Sioux City. Many years ago, my entire family was broken apart when I was at a very young age. We all were adopted out to different families which made things that much harder. Well, just recently my older sister after all these years apart contacted the Marine Corps to inform me that our/my real Mother had passed away. Needless to say, my real mother gave my sister a lot of things to pass onto me. Thus the reason she tried to find me to up hold her promise to my real mother. We'll timing could not have been any better. I'm departing the Marines in a few month, I'm currently going through a separation, so sometimes things just seem to fall into place as my sister bought a huge house in hopes of reuniting our family once and for all. I feel this will just be another chapter in my book worth writing. I am very excited to retire, my kids need a change from CA, why not start a new adventure for us all. I ask that if you live in Iowa, could you please take a moment to share some pro/cons of this state.

Thank you in advance. Maybe just maybe we will be neighbors soon.

Ray

Look up the "Usetaboost" he resides in Sioux city....I am in Des Moines....ant there are a hand full of others that live in Iowa.....hope you like crap weather... Lol.

Wow what a story! Sorry for the loss of your mother. You and your sister have a lot of catching up to do! As far as the sewer goes, it's alright. Only gripe I have is that the closest track is in parker, sd. About 1.5 hours away. Maybe not quite that far. It's been a long time since I've went. It's a nice track last time I went though. No gravel roads and they have nice pit areas along with camping. Speaking of, we are surrounded by rivers and lakes so if you are into boating,. camping, fishing, this is the place. Close to yankton, sd and niabrara, ne. Have a local state park close by with a lot of scenic drives. We have a local car club that has organized cruises and shows around the areas local towns along with meets once a week for the locals. The car scene around here is mostly show. THere are drag racers around here but they don't advertise so it's hard to find anyone to go to the track with. SLowly getting a list of decent people to go with.

The cost of living isn't bad here. Job market is nothing to get excited about unless you have previous experience, not that you have to worry about that since you are retiring. Circle track is VERY popular here so any spare gbody parts you have you better bring them with you. We only have 2 seasons out here, salted roads and road construction. The humidity can get bad in the summer. Don't expect fresh paved streets when you get here, they're working on it though-ALL THE TIME!

We have some good restaurants, not just typical chain either. Some decent sports bars, but I'll warn you they are all downtown and that is where every 21-35 year old goes to friday and saturday night. Can't really think of anything else right now. Hard to sell the place when I've lived here my whole life. Must be something good here I guess.

Oh yeah, Rockn Rods in July:cool:

Wow what a story! Sorry for the loss of your mother. You and your sister have a lot of catching up to do! As far as the sewer goes, it's alright. Only gripe I have is that the closest track is in parker, sd. About 1.5 hours away. Maybe not quite that far. It's been a long time since I've went. It's a nice track last time I went though. No gravel roads and they have nice pit areas along with camping. Speaking of, we are surrounded by rivers and lakes so if you are into boating,. camping, fishing, this is the place. Close to yankton, sd and niabrara, ne. Have a local state park close by with a lot of scenic drives. We have a local car club that has organized cruises and shows around the areas local towns along with meets once a week for the locals. The car scene around here is mostly show. THere are drag racers around here but they don't advertise so it's hard to find anyone to go to the track with. SLowly getting a list of decent people to go with.

The cost of living isn't bad here. Job market is nothing to get excited about unless you have previous experience, not that you have to worry about that since you are retiring. Circle track is VERY popular here so any spare gbody parts you have you better bring them with you. We only have 2 seasons out here, salted roads and road construction. The humidity can get bad in the summer. Don't expect fresh paved streets when you get here, they're working on it though-ALL THE TIME!

We have some good restaurants, not just typical chain either. Some decent sports bars, but I'll warn you they are all downtown and that is where every 21-35 year old goes to friday and saturday night. Can't really think of anything else right now. Hard to sell the place when I've lived here my whole life. Must be something good here I guess.

Oh yeah, Rockn Rods in July:cool:

Good write up! Pretty much sums up Iowa and is why I stay too!

And they have a lot of corn.
A LOT of corn.
While driving through Iowa, I never saw so much damned corn in my entire life.
:D

But I'm guessing they also have a lot of E85. :D

Not from Iowa. But damn. Take up hunting and fishing. You'll be set. Hell only reason if want to live In Iowa would be for the deer hunting.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I live in SE Iowa and everything said so far is true. I have never been to Sioux City Iowa so I can't comment on that. Northern Iowa is much prettier than southern parts of the state. You will also have a lot more snow and cold in the winter than what I have to deal with.

Life is what you make it no matter where you live but if you have an opportunity to make a choice now choose wisely.

I like the area we4Mateo lives in better than where I am at currently. NE Iowa is a very nice area. In 6 years I will to be making the decision you are making when the kids get out of school. We would like to live in an area that offers more recreation and population.

The Cedar Rapids area is nice too but probably too far away from your family.

And they have a lot of corn.
A LOT of corn.
While driving through Iowa, I never saw so much damned corn in my entire life.
:D

But I'm guessing they also have a lot of E85. :D
While on my way to the Lambrecht auction in Nebraska last week, I drove through Iowa from east to west and back on highway 80, went through Davenport, then through Walcott (exit 284 where there is the world's largest truck stop), then through Des Moines, etc...but like you say...LOTS of corn!...I've never seen so much in my life! :eek:...also lots of wind mills (or maybe wind turbines...)...hundreds of them!...but I haven't seen anything for car enthusiasts like us, much less Buicks!...:(

Claude. :)

Ray;
glad to hear you are retiring from the Marines,
I, along with everyone else, thank you for your service!
I was born in Iowa, and lived in the mid west until I found the weather so much better, out west.
cold and rain are factors to consider, (but it does give you alot of garage time!)
I wish you the best in what ever you choose, your always welcome at my place!
Take care my friend.
Lee

It might not hurt to just come out here and check the place out. Some people live here all their lives, others can't wait to get out. It's kinda like crappy beer. Some people love it, others can't stand it.