You can type here any text you want

Anyone on here make a trap door to access fuel tank?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

El Corvino

Since our lovely G-Body's have the in-tank style fuel pumps... Making a trap door in the bed of my el camino was quite easy to make so dropping the fuel tank wouldn't be necessary ever again. I was thinking that when I do the GN resto, a new gas tank is cheap enough - lets throw a new one in there. Then I thought about it... The gas tank top center is dead center of the trunk. Should be easy to make a sealable trap door that would be accessible if I lifted up the trunk carpet if I ever had to access the fuel pump area. Anyone done this?

There was someone, I think in the last year or so, that did one on a TTA. Looked really nice too. Try using the search to find it.

DO IT !!! Unless your car is a low mile, all original show quality collector piece to be kept for the next owner!!! I did this after 2 drops for reasons on top of tank then said if done well "who cares". If there is a minor pump or wiring at the sending unit issue you will be glad you did !! Cut out a piece large enough to address any problem in the center of the trunk floor and save the piece for future, it can always be welded back if nec......................

Attachments

• Image0823.jpg
    Image0823.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 112
Since our lovely G-Body's have the in-tank style fuel pumps... Making a trap door in the bed of my el camino was quite easy to make so dropping the fuel tank wouldn't be necessary ever again. I was thinking that when I do the GN resto, a new gas tank is cheap enough - lets throw a new one in there. Then I thought about it... The gas tank top center is dead center of the trunk. Should be easy to make a sealable trap door that would be accessible if I lifted up the trunk carpet if I ever had to access the fuel pump area. Anyone done this?

You could also go external. That's what I did. I'm using a Weldon 2035 with a controller. My car is also an e85 car. But even before e85 I went with a external set up. Much better pumps and easier to service.

Back