Anyone using lightweight batteries?

GW2

I'm planning some weight reduction for my car and was considering vuying a lightweight battery at some point. Is anyone doing this currently?

I did in both my Z06 and Buick for a while. The terminal adapters on the Hawker Oddessy always came off which meant I needed to get the vise grips out to get the cable off the adapter. Since I run THS, the rules say I need a stock size and weight battery so I switched back to regular batteries.

From that reading I'm thinking it may not be worth the effort. although a 15lb battery would save 25 pounds in my case a lack of reliability is a huge nono for me seeing as everything is far away from where I live.

Guys, I got a LiFe Po battery in my bike and they are GREAT for saving weight but, below about 40-45 degrees, its a toss up as to whether it will start. Also, as was posted in the other thread, ANY drain you have on the battery (Alarm, fans, etc) will lower the cranking amperage enough to cause an issue if its not daily driven.

Initially I thought it was an issue with my specific battery so I bought another of better quality and had the same issues. Did some research and found out that this was a known design limitation.

I would say it really depends on your climate and how you use your car. For me there are better ways to remove 20lbs. So unless your car is at the lowest weight you can get it and you need this last 20 lbs or so, don't do it. Not much benefit to it really.

I have 44 lbs of battery on the the front corner...but that's 1600cca. 22lbs each for a 800cca. Not shabby lb per cca. Kinetik.

Thread revival. I just purchased a lightweight battery for my NSX and it weighs under 7 lbs. A lot of the NSX guys are running these on the street. 540CCA using stable Lithium Iron technology. I just shipped out an old Red Top to a buddy and it tipped the scales at 42 lbs. I like the idea of shedding 35 pounds off the front of my ride. I PM'd the vendor to see if he would be interested in making a custom bracket to fit our cars. I'll post back when I hear from them.

Pic of batt w/bracket installed in an NSX:
batt.jpg

Thanks for reviving this! Let us know what he says, I'd buy a 7lb battery for sure!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hell yeah, 7lbs is way light. What kind of dwell time and cycle? I just wonder for the sake of aux fans and the such..... Thanks

Thread revival. I just purchased a lightweight battery for my NSX and it weighs under 7 lbs. A lot of the NSX guys are running these on the street. 540CCA using stable Lithium Iron technology. I just shipped out an old Red Top to a buddy and it tipped the scales at 42 lbs. I like the idea of shedding 35 pounds off the front of my ride. I PM'd the vendor to see if he would be interested in making a custom bracket to fit our cars. I'll post back when I hear from them.

Pic of batt w/bracket installed in an NSX:
View attachment 201471

That looks like a freakin motorcycle battery!

I've wondered for years why I can't make a battery out of a jump box work. If those little things can start a car WITH a bad battery in parallel I would imagine it would have no problem starting a car without the extra complication.

I have a feeling you can't let a hi-amperage alternator set on bunny get ahold of it, but it's easier to charge slower than it is to charge harder.

The battery in my GN just went bad last week, I might start doing some research....

It's due to basic battery technology
CCA vs aH vs time vs number of times of discharge
The little batteries in the jump box are basically miniature versions of your larger battery
But less capacity and a lower lifespan

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yeah, the math is easy enough to make jive. Just carry enough pressurized electrons to spin the engine :D

It's just the 'theory .vs practice' thing I like to spend lots of time dwelling on.

The shorter lifespan on the jumpbox batteries is what's been holding me back, but the last couple years I've noticed full size lead-acid batteries having a crappy lifespan (and damn near doubling in cost)

Any updates on this topic? Need a new battery & would be good to save some weight if possible..

on my 87ttop i'm running the battery in the trunk and switched from an optima yellow (44lbs) for a deka etx30L 21lb AGM battery.. so far so good for a 109.00 battery , those Li batteries arent cheap

on my 87ttop i'm running the battery in the trunk and switched from an optima yellow (44lbs) for a deka etx30L 21lb AGM battery.. so far so good for a 109.00 battery , those Li batteries arent cheap
See any problem with mounting it in stock location?