Are orbital buffers too aggressive for original paint?

87GN&98VET

My car has original paint and overall it's in pretty good shape, however I am determined to finally do something to get rid of the spider webbing, scratches, etc. I've researched a lot of posts on this forum and it seems like a lot of people are using orbitals with various polishes (3M swirl remover, Griot's #3, etc.), however it appears that most of these people also have painted cars. Just wondering what some of you guys are doing out there that still have the original paint on your car. Are you using an orbital, and with what polish?

Thanks,
Sean

a good orbital, Porter cable,griots, etc.will not harm the paint...I use #3 Griots on almost every car i detail, new or old, then either the paint glaze,a wax or a sealant.....you are not going to use an old style rubbing compound with an orbital, nor would i recommend it.....i'm not a professional detailer by any means, but ive done hundreds of cars over the past couple years and never worry one bit about using an orbital with a mild polish to remove swirl marks or light scratches....

I do alot of cars w/ a high speed buffer like the shops use...Now my buddy's GN still has original paint and I did that w/ the orbital...I would never touch his car w/ a high-speed as it would just remove the paint. I'm unfamiliar w/ Griot's however if their is a good body shop supply place near you, they should be able to help you w/ a good selection of professional 3M products...all I've ever used w/ no complaints. As for your spider webbing, I don't think an orbital will have enough speed to get those out but your scratches coupled w/ quality 3M (or possibly the griots stuff...don't know what it is) should come out. Also, when your done...ask the shop where you get the materials from if they sell "wizards" mist n shine. Really great for a quick shine, just spray and wipe...much better than the pep-boys garbage and usually only avaliable from a shop that sells professional detailing supplies.

Thanks guys. Firechaser, you mention that you don't think the spider webs would come out with the orbital? I thought the spider webs were basically micro scratches that were relatively shallow. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the input!

Firechaser, you mention that you don't think the spider webs would come out with the orbital?

When I hear of spider-webs, I think more of cracked paint lines versus scratches. If they are more like scratches (you can't feel a crack in the paint) it may work. Reason I said that is beacuse orbital's don't produce the speed to "move" the paint like a high speed buffer does. Give it a whirl, only know if u try :D

I have an original paint GN and when I first bought the car it had only 14000km on it all original. It sat in a brick garage with no cover so you could imagine how faded and not so nice looking it was. I spent over 40 hours wetsanding the car, and then being picky for almost 80 hours buffing and polishing the paint. I used a porter cable polisher with the use of a medium cutting pad, and then a fine polishing pad. After about 3 bottles of Zaino Brothers polish, when the odd bird gets to shat on my car it just beads off.

I would recomend purchasing a porter cable polisher which no matter how new of a deatailer you are its basically fool proof. Meguairs has a good setup with how the polishing system works as each bottle has a number setting on the back which tells you which setting to use on the porter cable. I use both high speed wheel and the porter cable but the porter is much easier to use with minimal risk.

Good luck, theres lots of reading out there on how to detail your car.