Are the bumper shock absorbers fixable once collapsed?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Bumper shock absorbers...I think that's what they're called...they're the pieces that connect between the bumper and the frame that when the bumper is hit, allow the bumper to move inwards.

Lets say you hit something and slightly pushed your front bumper back....can these be fixed? (i.e. pulled back out) Or do you just replace them?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that they can't be fixed or at least not easily or cheaply.
Get a good used one for $15 if it's pretty bent in. Thats what I paid for a spare. Not sure what a new one would cost??

So, are you saying the thing is collapsed? If that's the case, I'm pretty sure if you knock it back out to the original position with a hammer, or pull it out with a come-along, you'll be good to go.

So, are you saying the thing is collapsed? If that's the case, I'm pretty sure if you knock it back out to the original position with a hammer, or pull it out with a come-along, you'll be good to go.

Arent they gas filled? Some form of a gas setup I understood?

Bumper shock absorbers...I think that's what they're called...they're the pieces that connect between the bumper and the frame that when the bumper is hit, allow the bumper to move inwards.

Lets say you hit something and slightly pushed your front bumper back....can these be fixed? (i.e. pulled back out) Or do you just replace them?

Thanks in advance.

I would put aluminum ones on. You might be able to pull them, but its probably not worth the time. I dont think they are gas filled.

"Study" object? What was it studying? :wink:

Ok Bruce, I'm glad to say I have someone looking out for my spelling errors.

I was once a great speller, and still am, just for some reason when I type I mis spell a word or two. Spell check doesn't always work.

Anyways I took some pics of the car below. Look at the driver side and passenger side. Clearly the passenger side has been pushed in. This happened at 5 mph or less. Also notice the bulge at the bottom of the pass side bumper filler. I'm almost sure it's those darn mounts.

Attachments

• Oct 2010 001.jpg
    Oct 2010 001.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 305
  • Oct 2010 002.jpg
    Oct 2010 002.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Oct 2010 003.jpg
    Oct 2010 003.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Oct 2010 004.jpg
    Oct 2010 004.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 305
  • Oct 2010 005.jpg
    Oct 2010 005.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 327
One more, showing the bulge in the lower pass side filler panel.

Attachments

• Oct 2010 006.jpg
    Oct 2010 006.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 301
Bumper shock absorbers are

filled with gas just like a shock except they are 23 years old and have leaked out. Bump the bumper using a hammer and a piece of 2 by 4 and it should extend back out.

filled with gas just like a shock except they are 23 years old and have leaked out. Bump the bumper using a hammer and a piece of 2 by 4 and it should extend back out.

If they were originally filled with gas when new, then were they also originally designed to pop back on their own?

Ok Bruce, I'm glad to say I have someone looking out for my spelling errors.

I was once a great speller, and still am, just for some reason when I type I mis spell a word or two. Spell check doesn't always work.

Anyways I took some pics of the car below. Look at the driver side and passenger side. Clearly the passenger side has been pushed in. This happened at 5 mph or less. Also notice the bulge at the bottom of the pass side bumper filler. I'm almost sure it's those darn mounts.

Hey, just kidding with you.:wink: I know you're a good speller....look at some of MY posts....notice a lot of them edited? That's because I had to go back and correct a misplellded wrdo! I'm one to talk, right?

Looks like the filler that's bulged will straighten out once you get that bumper pulled out and the shock replaced. You should always try to replace a damaged 22 year old part....it's done it's job, make room for one to be even more safe in the event you get hit again. Make sense? Graete!:rolleyes:

By the way, I feel your pain. Getting that pretty car of yours hit is a bitch to look at. Could have been worse but still, hitting something with that car of yours can really be a sick feeling.

Bruce '87 Grand Ntalelele.

Good deal here, 87Regal, you should snap one up.....looks like it'll solve your problem.

Bruce '87 Grand National

If they were originally filled with gas when new, then were they also originally designed to pop back on their own?

Not from what I understand. They are gas filled but to slow the compression only as the gas comes out. Once the gas is squeezed out its gone. Thats what i thought??

Just push it back out again and it will be fine,

Same thing happened to me on my GN, neighbor tapped it on the rear bumper and pushed my bumper in about an inch, I used a slap hammer on it to pull it back out to original position. If you use the slap hammer, go easy and a little bit at a time until you get it where it was.