Aussie Buick

downunder

Hey guys if you havn't already noticed I am from Australia and I would love some help.Over here we got a car called the Commodore and believe it or not it came out with a non turbo 3.8L buick.After seeing what you guys can do I decided to turbocharge it.I have made all the manifolding and bought a to4 p trim with 80mm compressor that is supposed to be able to make around 450hp at the wheels.What I would like to do is get some advice on cams and any other stuff that can help me out.And I know 450 hp doesnt sound like much but the car is about half the weight of your Grand National so it should get along quite well.Thanks heaps any advice would help heaps.I will put some photos up soon too.;)

do you have pics??
does it look like this?

Attachments

• B2TMFlyingHigh.jpg
    B2TMFlyingHigh.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 332
If you take off the engine cover in your photo they are almost identical

Attachments

• PICTUR~1.jpg
    PICTUR~1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 320
I have just been doing some checking it is an LN3 RPO with the balance shaft in rear wheel drive

Although it's not the same as the GN it's still basically the same and the mods you do should still work well on mine.What camshaft would you recomend to make around 400-450 at the wheels

Welcome!

I don't have a clue about the answers you seek, but I've moved this thread to a forum with viewers who DO.

If you experiment with the search feature, I remember similar questions from down under in the past.

Good luck. :)

You don't need much rpm to make 500 hp with these motors so you don't need huge cams. The stock gn cam was about 196/200 advertised duration intake/exhaust and many have gone into the 10's with it (11.0 at 3800 lbs is 560 average rwhp). Your stock cam may be fine, or perhaps something like the 206/206 or 204-214 cams which are very popular first steps up from stock.

Welcome! I'll second ljames on the cam selection (although I prefer roller). My concern is the balance shaft- how will upping the HP in this engine affect it? Extra rotating mass= potential extra shrapnel in the engine......Also, will the internals take the added stress of the forced induction?

Looks like you'd be able to replace the intake with an LC2 intake, and make it easier to plumb the turbo, headers and such...no need to reinvent the wheel if you don't have to! Or, get a complete engine shipped to you and really scare people!

Alternatively, you could bolt a factory supercharger onto your engine.

I really miss your country- had a blast partying and just enjoying the place.

Yeh have thought about supercharger but I have been told it wont fit and I already have a turbo.I have also made a custom plenum with an 80mm throtle body i will put some photos up in the morning.The internals are my biggest problem.I think I will internaly balance the engine and remove the balance shaft.I have herd of people snapping these cranks in half so I would love some of your internals as I really want to run about 25psi boost

No worries! Except y'all have mozzies the size of 747s!!

The factory 3800 Series II S/C is a direct bolt-in- have to reprogram the ECM, though. You'll have to do the same (or go with an aftermarket fuel management system) with the turbo install.

Since you're going all in, an install of a complete 109 engine sounds like the best way to go- should bolt tight in, and since it's GM to GM, sensors and such shouldn't be a problem. It's just getting an engine to you that poses a challenge.....

I do know that you'll be able to find all the components you'll need to reinforce the engine internally. Let me know if you need any assistance.

You think the mozzies are bad you should see the blow flys and dont get me started about the drop bears.
Whats the 109 engine and what internal parts will fit

Yeah, I remember the Great Aussie Wave.....

The 109 engine is the 86/87 Grand national/T-Type engine; 109 refers to the last 3 digits of the GM part number for the block. The Turbo Buick engine stock (with tuning) will take you to your goal of 400 hp- or more:D

Has the good crank/pistons/rods/etc.

Figure the cost of a rebuild of your engine to internally balance and strenghthen vs the cost to purchase and ship a complete GN motor (with ECM and maybe harness). and see where it pencils out....