Automatic Weapons

I have not been into weapons since the mid 90's but I did purchase that 5 dollar part before mentioned that converts the weapon to full auto. It was cheese ball to say the least. With a 30 round magazine in the ak it did not release until the clip was empty. Otherwords I had to hold the 7.62x39 mm solid until it was finished firing. Military grade full autos will cease firing when you release off the trigger. My grandfather had alot of land and I was shooting it in the back part of it when this happened. I purchased the part out of a small catalog from a place called Tapco in Georgia. I would be careful buying gimmics as a weapon can be deadly in untrained hands or when not working properly. Especially something with the ability to rapid fire.

I was reading a magazine on military tactics and I believe that the United States military no longer issues full auto small arm weapons to individual soldiers. They now issue the tri burst feature and semiauto only as muzzle climb and recoil is excessive in full auto. It was stated after many test they found that it was a waste of ammunition to use full auto. They claim with the right tactics the tri burst still offers cover fire and increased accuracy. Also virtually eliminating the wasted rounds or excessive wear on the weapon.

Be careful with that, posession of a DIAS and a weapon that can use it is classified as owning a full auto! If you're looking for info on NFA stuff, check http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt
Be warned however, that your rights DO vary from state to state. For instance, in Illinois I can't own any NFA items at all.

guns

Man, what a lot of bad info here.

You don't need a class 3 license to own an automatic. A class 3 license is to deal in automatics. A class 2 to manufacture.

You can buy any automatic made before 1986....these are the transferrable ones. You will have to fill out paperwork, get it signed off by the chief law enforcement officer in your city or county and pay a $200 transfer tax. Then wait 90 days to one year for approval from ATF....and they're not under any requirement to give approval but they ususally do if there isn't a reason not to.

Any law abiding citizen in any state west of the Mississippi can legally own and possess one except in Washington state. Yep, even in CA although in reality it is virtually impossible because of the political climate and the CLE officer probably won't sign off. (Sorry, I don't know which states east of ole Miss. are freedom loving states but MOST states allow full automatics.)

And just as someone above said....it isn't ANYONE elses concern or business why a law abiding citizen should want to own one. Just to want the pleasure of owning/firing one is enough. And if you say no one should own one....add your name to the list of liberal gun banners. You're from the same mold.

VERY TRUE, I AGREE 100%:cool:

Madcat: If your buddy is telling you I (or anyone else that can pass a background check) can buy an automatic weapon from him without approval from the ATF and pay the $200 transfer tax he will be going to prison, and so will the person buying the gun from him. If ATF approves your purchase of the automatic weapon, you are subject to unannounced inspections by the ATF to verify you own the weapon, still have it in your possession. These inspections will go on for as long as you own the weapon.

If you want to convert a AR15 to full auto the receiver must be milled to accept the sear that allows full auto firing.

There are hundreds of people in the US that own auto weapons.....Go to the annual get together at the Knob Hill Range at FT Knox and see them in action!

Madcat: If your buddy is telling you I (or anyone else that can pass a background check) can buy an automatic weapon from him without approval from the ATF and pay the $200 transfer tax he will be going to prison, and so will the person buying the gun from him. If ATF approves your purchase of the automatic weapon, you are subject to unannounced inspections by the ATF to verify you own the weapon, still have it in your possession. These inspections will go on for as long as you own the weapon.

If you want to convert a AR15 to full auto the receiver must be milled to accept the sear that allows full auto firing.

There are hundreds of people in the US that own auto weapons.....Go to the annual get together at the Knob Hill Range at FT Knox and see them in action!

He never said "Without approval"... I may have misheard him, or not remember everything he said correctly. But he definatley said that "Anyone" (anyone= pass all Gov. checks)can own one, with the proper paperwork.

I could've sworn he said that I'd be out with it in about an hour... or maybe he said that the paperwork would take an hour:tongue: LOL.

I'll ask him later... I'm taking my AK to him so it can be refreshed soon.

I could've sworn that he said that "Conversions" wern't covered under the NFA and were illegal for anyone without a Class 3 license or active LEO to posess:confused: , cause I asked about converting my AK and his answer was NO...lol.

me and my roommate were arguing about owning an automatic weapon and he thinks that just anyone can purchase or that just anyone can buy a class three license does anyone know a website that straight up lets me know what the real
deal is with this ???????

New member...searches 4 gun threads...asks 4 websites selling Class III licenses = long arm of justice ??? Could be...

New member...searches 4 gun threads...asks 4 websites selling Class III licenses = long arm of justice ??? Could be...

Nah... probably Googled "automatic weapons" and after about 100 pages of results, just happened on a 3yr old thread about them.

Man... I'm going to go and google that just to see how many hits it comes back with:eek:

EDIT: whooo hooo... Results 1 - 10 of about 2,490,000 for automatic weapons. Now... to see which page TB.com is on...lol.