Back from the dead

WH1 85

Have not been in here in years, seem to remember the hot-air section being a lot larger. I have an 85 WH1 T-Type has been parked since around 2003. Car ran at the time but I got fed up with the powmaster brakes. Plus busy with work, kids etc.

Now I'm ready to get her going again. Paint and interior both need attention. Nothing drastic. Not much rust outside. New seat covers, door panels, carpet and visors for the inside. All of the bits and pieces are there.

Now for the drive train, car has stock 8.5" with 3.42 and posi all still there. Tranny worked before so I'll have rebuilt if I must. Car already updated to 87 ecm, and newer coil pack if memory serves. Aluminum 4 core rad, atr stainles 2.5" duals. Stock headers (cracked), up and down pipes are all stock. Oil pres, water temp, boost and fuel press gauges are already there. Also has an adjustable fpr, k&n filter and LT-1 maf and translator.

Now my plan is to have to engine and stock heads rebuilt. New injectors, new turbo ta-33. Tune it. Suspension will all be redone stock, maybe boxed upper and lower control arms. My overall goal is to have a nice clean t-type. Not show quality but nice. Performance wise I'm think I would be happy with high to mid 12's. Not looking to set the world on fire. But have enough go to justify the cars tough looks. I ran it once at the track, untuned and got a 14.2 knocking all the way.

So now that I gave you the back ground, here are some questions

What is needed to convert to vac brakes. Mainly where can I pull a large enough vac line from? I'm assuming I can just rip a booster from any g-body?

Will a stock block, heads, ta-33 (or any other suggestions), welded headers get into the 12's?

Cam suggestions?

Also the v-belts drive me crazy, has anyone tried the pulley system from an 3800 fwd engine?

Any thoughts or suggestions on reaching these goals would be appreciated.

Welcome back!

Can't help you much with your questions other than get yourself a mild cam if the motor is apart and have the heads and intake ported and an aftermarket turbo will get you into your goal range.

I too have just crawled out from under my rock. My cars license plate sticker says it was last on the road back in 04 :eek: I just got done taking the intake out and cleaning up the vacuum lines and installing alcohol nozzles directly into the intake manifold. Hopefully this year I can get into the same ballpark times as your looking for.

Things have changed quite a bit since you've been gone. Do some searching and you should find what I mean. Welcome back to the fold and keep us updated on what're you're doing.

Have not been in here in years, seem to remember the hot-air section being a lot larger.

Will a stock block, heads, ta-33 (or any other suggestions), welded headers get into the 12's?

Cam suggestions?

IMO-The above will not get you into the twelves. Things to consider are:

1. Intergrated three inch downpipe.
2. Alky injection.
3. TT 6.0chip.
4. Upgraded fuel pump hot wired.
5. Powerlogger and wideband o2 sensor.
6. 60 lbs injectors.
7. Port match the heads and intake.
8. Replace the passenger side exhaust header with a used ATR or Postons.

Good luck- Brad

I like the hydroboost idea. Will definitely go that route. I guess I will keep my eyes open for some used headers as well. I see that gbodyparts has downpipes, seems pricy.

Port matching the heads and intake to the gaskets should be simple enough.

Forgot about alky. Way back when a few hot air guys were just starting to fool around with it. After some reading it seems like it has really changed things. So I'll add that to the list.

After looking over the car last night I decided to strip her down to the shell. If I am going to do this I'm going to do it right. Years ago my brother got me a model of the GN prototype, the red one. Always thought that looked really good. So I'll probably change the color of the car while I'm at it.

I'll shoot some pics this weekend and post them for you guys before I get her ripped apart.

i am in st. loo also. i have a standard bore 20 bolt block out of a mid mile 85 t if you want it. i was trying to get enough out of it to buy a 5th of jagermeister, but i doubt even thats gonna happen. :frown:
i have a nice custom made 2 piece ss downpipe made with the rjc flange that i'm gonna be selling in about 2 weeks. test pipe included. its still on the car, been trying to find time to pull it. i think i'm going to be asking $375 for it. i've also got some other hot air stuff i need to go through that i'm just gonna give or throw away

i am in st. loo also. i have a standard bore 20 bolt block out of a mid mile 85 t if you want it. i was trying to get enough out of it to buy a 5th of jagermeister, but i doubt even thats gonna happen. :frown:
i have a nice custom made 2 piece ss downpipe made with the rjc flange that i'm gonna be selling in about 2 weeks. test pipe included. its still on the car, been trying to find time to pull it. i think i'm going to be asking $375 for it. i've also got some other hot air stuff i need to go through that i'm just gonna give or throw away

If the downpipe is the stainless one that fits my car-$375? I will take it. Let me know. Thanks- Brad