Ballsy criminals....

groumoutis

A couple days ago a Chrysler and a GMC/Buick dealerships found some of their brand new cars on blocks when they went to open their dealerships. At the Chrysler dealership they had a Ram truck and a Charge sitting on cinder blocks. I will post pics of both those vehicles after I finish this post. You might get a laugh at how the Charger was left on blocks. The GMC/Buick dealership they had a Denali left wheel less. The ballsy part is that both dealerships are on a major US highway (US 231). The Charger was parked right in front of the main showroom doors. Neither dealership had video cameras!!!

image-3025652278.jpg

why doesn't a car dealer have security cameras- they have millions of dollars of inventory just sitting out in the open..

and taking wheels off a car isn't as big of a deal as it used to be thanks to cordless impact wrenches.. gone are the days of lugging a 4 way or breaker bar around and spending a few minutes on each wheel. you can buzz 5 or 6 lug nuts off a wheel in a few seconds and roll it out of view.

Wow I guess we got lucky then. We (meaning the dealership I work for) had a pair of aluminum wheels with new tires stolen off the back of one of our older minivans a couple weeks ago. $110 for a pair of used wheels (and lug nuts :rolleyes:) and some tires I had upstairs got it whole again. Kinda unusual in a small town though. They used factory style scissor jacks and left them under the back. Anybody need some genuine theif-used scissor jacks? $110 lol.

I'd bet that a wheel theft was someone passing through. Keep em a couple weeks and list a set at a time on their hometown craigslist and they'll get away with it and probably gain a couple grand.

Stopped at the local GM dealer parts department about a year ago.

Attachments

• image-808079876.jpg
    image-808079876.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 159
  • image-1866736526.jpg
    image-1866736526.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 155
Place I work for has $1000 deductible per vehicle. Long term cost savings on the premium necessitates it. Better off eating a few hundred bucks every few months vs. a few hundred every single month. Insuring a dealership is expensive. It's another one of those things nobody thinks about when they think they're getting f***ed on a new car....

Place I work for has $1000 deductible per vehicle. Long term cost savings on the premium necessitates it. Better off eating a few hundred bucks every few months vs. a few hundred every single month. Insuring a dealership is expensive. It's another one of those things nobody thinks about when they think they're getting f***ed on a new car....

it's another thing that adds to the amount that they get screwed on a new car. i'm sure a dealership would get cheaper insurance if they had highly visible security cameras..

The odd thing is that the Chrysler dealership is pretty new. It was built about 4 or 5 years ago so security cameras were readily available and could have been built into the building. The GM dealership is as old if not older than me and I am 39. The GM dealer has a very dark car lot as well. The owner of the GM dealership is a older man that I know and talk to every now and then. Him and his son are really good people. The Chrysler dealership has a 474 mile 89 TTA in it that they are asking 50k for.

A local stealership recently had 53 tail-gates amongst other other items such as wheels and tires also stolen. They had a huge yard just off the beaten path where they keep a lot of their inventory. I heard the tail-gates were over $1000.00 each to replace and it was likely scrap metal thieves.

I am reviving this because the idiots at the same GM dealership got hit with it again. You would think the insurance company would have made them install cameras. I know the owner personally and he is a good guy but his son runs the dealership and the owner just collects cars and is retired. The thieves left the Chrysler dealership alone since they have cameras now.

The 2nd generation of those car dealers is never as bright as the first.
I've seen that time and time again.

But cameras are almost like a coroners.
They just put a toe tag on the body.
'Hey look - the 3 guys dressed in black came in a plain white van"
Can't see how that does anything.

We supply power supplies to some really innovative companies that provide FLIR cameras for security.
It's amazing stuff.
It can be zone triggered and send emails when there is motion / activity.

There are a ton of real theft prevention measures they could and should be taking.
Starting with a human body on the lot for a while, since it sounds as if either the owrd is out or it is the same crew.