'Best' Head unit?

Saladin45

There is a darkside
Well, is there a 'best' head unit? Or is it all a matter of perception on what you think is good and what you think is not? I'm actually looking at some head units and was just wondering, what's the real difference between a $150-$200 head unit versus a $400 one? I mean, sure, quality I can see. But are there any features that really stand it apart from the other?

I'm looking specifically for something that runs the ipod, has a cd changer and does DVD CD's too.

Many choices in units- a factor to take into consideration is that the GN has a 1.5 DIN opening. Most radios are either single or double DIN.

So what are good choices for the 1.5 DIN?
(Those of which that meet the criteria or around the criteria I am looking into)

I have yet to find anything that matches what I am looking for. I am just finding CD player/iPod ones so far. I want that DVD capability. Dang. :(

Amazon hardly has any choices and even google is hardly showing anything.

So what are good choices for the 1.5 DIN?
(Those of which that meet the criteria or around the criteria I am looking into)

I have yet to find anything that matches what I am looking for. I am just finding CD player/iPod ones so far. I want that DVD capability. Dang. :(

Amazon hardly has any choices and even google is hardly showing anything.

Not a whole lot of selection on crutchfield.com:

Pioneer DEH-P47DH CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

w/iPod capability:
Pioneer DEH-P77DH CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

GM dicontinued the 1.5 DIN back in 2002, so don't look for much support.....

Or, mount a remote DVD player in the car, and install a 3" touch screen in the original radio opening.......

Thanks for the help.

I guess the DVD CD thing isn't a necessity. I don't want something that's going to look hugely obtrusive and the like in the car. So I suppose I should just go with what works. Thanks for the help.

Crutchfield provides the correct installation kit for any single DIN head unit you purchase. I recently went through this installing a Kenwood single DIN and the kit they provide worked like a champ. They also provide you with the correct plug and play wiring harness adapter for free.
Can't go wrong with Crutchfield.
HTH

Patrick

I really like the look of the later model GM CD players, and they work decently. About the only time I've like the look of a single DIN radio in the GN was where somebody installed a scanmaster and another small square control unit right above the radio- looked good!

Also, I got another question.

When installing your speakers, etc, are there certain types you want to buy for certain types of music?

I was looking around and I found something about that if you buy certain speakers, they work better for certain music. Or is this just due to how you tune your system or something?

Could someone clear that up for me?