big turbo on a stock motor?

Dan K

Reposted - rephrased:
I'm ditching the idea of using alky and just going to run straight 110 all the time since I don't drive the car much.
I know it seems the consensus is to go with a 44 or 49 on a stock converter to start, but I think I want more.
With a stock unopened motor, how big of a turbo am I going to want to go? I'll of course match the converter to the turbo...
But what do you guys think, how big should I go? 60? 61? 62? Bigger?
Only thing is I'd like to stay "stock appearing" and keep the integral bell of the TA series.

te45a

its basically a te66 turbo-

i believe the ta66 is available, and it would be stock appearing

id get a 3500 lockup torque convertor

lots of top end power, and you will eventually grow into it and not have to buy 2 or 3 turbos like i have in the past to get what i want-

When I bought the car the previous owner already had a te45a and we decided it was too big for a stock motor. So I sold it before it was ever used. Maybe we were wrong.
Anybody using a te45a (or ta66) on a stock motor?
heh...come to think of it, the guy I bought the car from gave me a 3500 stall 9/11 style converter too. Sold the turbo, converter, and DFI! Almost wish I would have kept it all now. ;)

I have a TE45a on a stock long block and it works fantastic. I have run as much as 27lbs of boost on 94 octane pump gas and alky with it. Trust me it is more than enough :D
P.S. I have built a new engine and gotten a larger turbo, so the TE45a is for sale.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
I have a TE45a on a stock long block and it works fantastic. I have run as much as 27lbs of boost on 94 octane pump gas and alky with it. Trust me it is more than enough :D
P.S. I have built a new engine and gotten a larger turbo, so the TE45a is for sale.

Great...wish I would have kept that turbo then.
Did you ever have that car to the track Lee?

I've got a TA62 with a 3200 stall lockup.

About equal in lag to the PTE51 and D5 converter.

Okay so far on the street. Very rarely can get anywhere near 25 psi. boost in daily driving. :(

Going to the track tomorrow on some pump gas (94) and alky.

Originally posted by GNVAIR

could you please elaborate on this?

im in the process of putting a Te45a on my 87 limited-
i have a 3000-3200 vigilante, thdp, FMIC, but the long block is bone stock-
i am going to put in 50's and see how it runs, what kind of alky kit did you use to get 27 psi, what timing, and what did the car run?

thanks alot
BW

I had a TA 62 turbo when my motor was stock and unported heads. Great strip/street turbo. You need at least a 3000 stall for it not to be to laggy.:)

My combo is as follows:
Stock long block (currently at 136k miles)
ATR driverside replacement header
Mease big neck, 17 row stretch intercooler
55lb injectors with upgraded drivers
Accufab AFPR
Extender chip (23° in low, 21° in high)
3.5" LS1 mass air with Translator + (I havent done any timing adjustments)
4" inlet pipe with 14" K&N
Mease 3" integral waste gate down pipe with 3" test pipe
Hooker cat back exhaust
single Walbro 340 intank pump (hot wired ofcourse)
Basic rebuilt stock trans
PTS 9x11 convertor (stalls 0=2800rpms, 5lbs=3200rpms, 10lbs=3500rpms, 15lbs=4200rpms)
I have run a friends mid 11 second Mustang LX (him on slicks and me on radials with a stock D5 convertor at the time) and pulled him bad from mid 2nd gear on up. Now with the new convertor would require slicks. There is no way to launch it hard on radials now.
I was running an original single nozzle SMC alky kit almost maxed when I ran him and had no problems. I installed the new SMC dual nozzle kit and had lots of problems with transitional knock.
I always run straight denatured sprayed with a little bit of WD40.
I just changed to 72lb injectors since the 55's were about maxed out with what I had. I would say that on slicks the car is an honest 11.30-11.40 car. It pulls ridiculously hard for what is done.
Everytime I am ready to go to the track it either rains, something comes up or something breaks. The trans is messed up now, so it is going to sit until I can have it done correctly.

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
could you please elaborate on this?

im in the process of putting a Te45a on my 87 limited-
i have a 3000-3200 vigilante, thdp, FMIC, but the long block is bone stock-
i am going to put in 50's and see how it runs, what kind of alky kit did you use to get 27 psi, what timing, and what did the car run?

thanks alot
BW

50's wont cut it IMHO; even with unported stock heads. When you start cranking more than 20lbs of boost in with the TE45a, the fuel requirements seem to go through the roof. Plan on stepping up to atleast 55's if not 72's as the TE45a needs a large injector (remember it is a 66mm turbo).
See the post above for more detailed info.

GNVAIR
That the same problem ..I broke a couple of things >I have the same combo te45a and 3200 5 disk lock up(See my list below)Ran a 11.8 at 118mpr and could not get over 20 -21 lbs boost.Broke the rear end and the rockers last fall.Installed all the good stuffover the winter(eaton 30 spline possi,axels and gears,c clip elim.Race gate and down pipe,70 mm tb and dog houseRJ 3 alum.pullies,I haven't had it to the track yet but I can get 15 lbs boost on the brake now and run 20lbs boost on the 94 octane.I still think the Torque conv should go to 3800 stall...But it is great on the street and the boost goes up nice and quick while on the brake.It has a .63 on the exhaust side.Hope to have it at the track this weekend.I hope I don't break something else!!!
Mike

I agree that 50's aren't likely to cut it. I have really high duty cycles with mine on my PTE54 build. I say go with 72s and be done with it. Another upcoming winter project for me. ;)

I failed to mention that I run a heavy duty waste gate actuator that is still hooked to the waste gate solenoid. I make my adjustments with the actuator rod. I have no trouble running 27lbs of boost. Any more than that will probably require me to cut the rod down some. My boost is rock solid too.

I don't want to have to go bigger than the 50's I have now, so I guess that puts the TE45a out of reach.
I guess that means I'm looking more at a TA62/63.
About a 3200 stall with either?

What about PT&E's TA53 and TA54?