BigStuff3

Changing the resolution between cells is a nice feature IMHO, but there is no 2d charts, for stuff for warmup enrichment, afterstart, etc. It just gives you blocks of numbers to input, makes it a little bit hard to give you a visual of those settings, as in the fast you can see this in the graphs easily.

i was just reading about the gen 7 setup. it has lockup control and many other control's. has anyone used this? any down sides to this system?

Originally posted by Nashty
Well, you can monitor more parameters in BS3, you can zoom in on a particular section of the graphed output too, that's nice. The colors are close and confusing but I just eliminate most of that dat that I don't need. That eliminates the confusion because I don't monitor all that extraneous data while I log. It's not any worse than the FAST if you ask me.

BS3 also allows you to name the RPM increments in your matrices. That is really nice, I have way more resolution in the race RPM than at part throttle.

You get to have dashboards for each screen. That is a portion of the bottom of the screen that allows you to see live data. But, you can name what parameters for each screen will be when you bring that screen up.

Another thing that I think is significant. I have an MSD DIS-4 and have had no problems with using it. Many FAST users have had difficulty with that box.

I had a FAST box when it was a Speed Pro, I raced with it up until last year. Harry set me up with the initial tuning but I maintained and modified it as my car changed. With my BS3 box, I did most of the tuning and all the setup (which Harry corrected for me I might add). It programs the same and is just as easy to use. Graphs vs. numbers? Not really sure what that is but I never ran into trouble because the BS3 manual was excellent for instructions.

Oh, the BS3 allows you to interpolate cells, that's nice.

I am not sure how familiar you are with FAST.
The FAST will log up to 14 sensors.
The FAST will allow you to interpolate.
The FAST also allows you to select which dashboard you want on the bottom of each screen.
I am interested in your findings with the MSD box. How many MSD boxes did you go through with your FAST before switching to BS3 and eliminating the MSD problem?

I don't believe there is a real advantage to either box on a turbo Buick. The one thing the BS3 has that I like over the FAST is the variable scaling (The new FAST has this feature). Ultimately, I think it boils down to buying the system that your vendor (you feel most comfortable buying from) is selling/supporting.

Originally posted by Joe Lubrant
Cal,

Is Fast providing you with "Free Copies" of the software to distribute?

Not the case here.

It is my understanding FAST will allow you to download the upgrade for free off of their website. The download is only an "upgrade" for current windows users NOT a complete windows version that the DOS guys could use. I will try and find the link and post it here.

I do know FAST charges $25 to upgrade from the DOS version.

Originally posted by Scott231
And from what I understand, software updates for FAST or the old Fel Pro systems are wishful thinking. Accel just released its latest software for the Gen 7+ last week. I think this is the 5th or 6th upgrade since I bought my Gen 7+ last year...and I haven't even installed it yet! :rolleyes:

After speaking with FAST Tech support a few months back, they are prepping a new upgrade for the C-COM WP users. This will essentially be the new C-COM WP for the new FAST box that is due at the end of the year, but supposedly the software will run on the older boxes giving you such features as the DFI V7 Dashboards and some more stuff.

Ron

Originally posted by HighPSI
I don't charge for the upgrade provided the customer bought the system from me. In fact, I was told by a FAST representitive that the upgrade was free to ALL current Windows users.

Interesting as they won't let you download the software from their site and will only ship it to you via CD for $25. With the huge amount of broadband users now, even a big download isn't really that big of a deal.

Ron

It is my understanding FAST will allow you to download the upgrade for free off of their website. The download is only an "upgrade" for current windows users NOT a complete windows version that the DOS guys could use. I will try and find the link and post it here.

Looking forward to this info. Thanks Cal.

Ron

I am not sure how familiar you are with FAST...

I am interested in your findings with the MSD box. How many MSD boxes did you go through with your FAST before switching to BS3 and eliminating the MSD problem?

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert on the FAST. I purchased my (Speed Pro) system about 5 years ago. I've had my BS3 for less than a year. I'm more involved with "racing" rather than just farting around at the dragstrip now so I poke into the BS more than I did the FAST. I find it's like a newer version of FAST perhaps with some bugs worked out of it. Keeping in mind that this is Meaney's baby, I feel pretty good about the fact that he will be focusing on it instead of the other systems. They all have excellent tech people but let's face it. Meaney is the Godfather of most of these systems anyway.

I bought a DIS box used to install on my Metro. I never had it on my GN. All I'm stating is that I've never had a problem with it. Your results may vary...

TurboDave231 asked who's using BS3 with success, I am. 9.32 @ 147 with a pretty mild S1 motor 'taint too bad is it? I'll be knocking on 8's next year with the same BS3 on my floorboard.

The single biggest factor in my personal decision was that PTE was behind it. They're geographically pretty close to me and I think Harry is about the best there is out there (no disrespect meant to other's). He's always been very, very good to deal with and I reward that with my patronage. I had never used or even seen a written word about the system when I bought mine. I also ordered my turbo from Harry at the same time based off his advice.

I didn't mean to offend you. I just wanted to clarify a few things.

I am curious what the reason was behind you pulling the FAST system out of your car and buying another very similar system.

No offense taken, hope I didn't come off testy. I think you are very helpful and an all around nice guy. I've met you at Nats but was in a group so you probably don't remember me.

I sold my car complete with the FAST in it. When it came time to buy another system it seemed to be the logical choice since it was the latest and greatest. I don't regret it either, it gives up nothing to the FAST and was cheaper to boot.

Roger

Although they are similar in s/w, they are also quite different.

I'm assuming the upgrade he was discussing probably went from BtoB to SFI. Possibly changing ignition type aswell.

The cost of the Base SFI Gen1/ or Base Gen3 ECU is worth the swap. Also, the Gen 3 can be returned for future upgrade (ie internal data acq, external data acq or trans control) These features set it further apart from the FAST.

The built in boost controls and adjustable resolution are nice for the turbo user.

So will a big stuff3 ecu plug directly into the current fast harness and work without any modifications?

Cool! I didn't realize you could get boost control on the TR's. Does it use the stock wastgate solenoid? Trans control wouldn't work on a GN, but the ability to chose between inductive and hall-effect ignition without sending the ecm in, is nice. With all those features, do you have to use a stand-alone harness?

Upgrading

I've been following this with interest and appreciate the info that has been offered so far. I have a FAST BtoB with 160# injectors and I'm planning on upgrading this winter. I would like a seq system with ind cyl control. I've been waiting on the new FAST system to be released and have been looking for info on the Gen 3 BS3 along with the Gen VII DFI. Since my current system is working well I'm looking at upgrading from a cost stand point.

So far, upgrading the current FAST system to include ind cyl control and seq does not seem feasible $$ wise when the Gen 3 BS3 and Gen VII seem to offer more tech and options. What would you guys suggest for someone like myself who is looking to upgrade thier current FAST? Has there been any info released yet on the new FAST system?
Chris Lyons

I have two coustmers cars in my shop right now and one has DFI Gen 6 and one Gen 7 and They are both looking to switch to either Fast or Big Stuff 3. Just my two cents.

I have Fast Bank to Bank and it works fine. I have been 8.23 @ 172 with it. I have 160 lb injectors and it idles just fine, a little rich. I can drive it on the street with pump gas. I had thought about the Sequential box but Harry @ Precision talked me out of it.

The stories that I have heard about Motec have steered me away from it. The last thing I want to sell someone is something that they cannon get any support for.

Re: Upgrading

Originally posted by turbobuick
What would you guys suggest for someone like myself who is looking to upgrade thier current FAST? Has there been any info released yet on the new FAST system?
Chris Lyons

Chris, if you are going to Reynolds, I may be able to show you some things about the new FAST ;)

Also, wanted to let everyone know that FAST recently hired Dave Henninger (Used to work at Wheel to Wheel). He is a real hands-on guy who goes to a lot of races.

Originally posted by TurboNova

I have Fast Bank to Bank and it works fine. I have been 8.23 @ 172 with it. I have 160 lb injectors and it idles just fine, a little rich. I can drive it on the street with pump gas. I had thought about the Sequential box but Harry @ Precision talked me out of it.

Where is your AF at idle? Best I can get is 11.5:1 without the car surging. Granted, I've had several issues with my leaky headers but I'm pretty sure I finally have that problem taken care of and the idle is the same. I agree my system works fine with the 160's other than a rich idle. Zero driveability issues. I have two cylinders slightly leaner than the rest and would like the ability to fine tune them.

Cal,
Right now I haven't been over 23 psi beacuse of the headers. I finally got my car back together (other issues) and I'm heading back to the track tonight. If all goes well I maybe at Reynolds. Hopefully I can get a full boost pass.
Chris Lyons

Originally posted by turbobuick
Where is your AF at idle? Best I can get is 11.5:1 without the car surging. Granted, I've had several issues with my leaky headers but I'm pretty sure I finally have that problem taken care of and the idle is the same. I agree my system works fine with the 160's other than a rich idle. Zero driveability issues. I have two cylinders slightly leaner than the rest and would like the ability to fine tune them.

Chris Lyons

My A/F at idle is between 14.5-13.3.

I agree with the rich idle, and the leaner cylinders would be nice to be able to tune.