BigStuff3

turbodave231

Who is using this system on a S2 motor with success? What are the downsides and problems you ran into? I'm gonna upgrade from Gen6 and need some direction whether to go FAST, Gen 7 or BigStuff.

Dave

Anybody have any experience with this new system?

I'm thinking of upgrading from Gen6 and need to make a choice.

Dave

I've got it.

It's a lot like FAST (had that before) but the system is supposed to have more features (just not yet).

I think mine has a problem but I haven't confirmed that it's the box yet. I'm about 90% sure though. My box is already outdated though, and I didn't know about it till I called the vendor. Seems it's gonna cost me a chunk to upgrade it now.:(

It works, that's for sure, but like any newer product, it is in a state of constant development. I would talk frankly with a vendor who offers both systems (FAST & BS3) to get their opinion. Honestly, I kinda like the Gen 7 the more I see of it but it is more complex and expensive from what I'm told.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with it but do think it would be nice if you could deal with the company directly for questions when you need to.

It comes with an excellent installation and product information manual, better than any other system. It can also be swapped with no wiring changes to the harness with a FAST (although I haven't tried that).

I think it will be at least among the top systems when fully developed. Boost control, Nitrous integrated, tranny control, useable learning feature and maybe an ignition system like the eDist (ala FAST).

I'll give you my experiences with service when I get the bill over the winter. I believe that it should be warrantied (it's only about 6 months old and made maybe 30 passes). We'll see...

Originally posted by turbodave231
Anybody have any experience with this new system?

I'm thinking of upgrading from Gen6 and need to make a choice.

Dave

Dan White has been using it alot here lately.

K.

It's a lot like FAST (had that before) but the system is supposed to have more features (just not yet).

I have heard (yet to be substantiated -- not yet a fact) that the early BS systems are internally identical to the currently shipping Fast box -- same circuit board and components, except for updated EEPROMS. This is supposed to be the reason that it can plug into a Fast harness. Can anyone shed some light on this?

If this turns out to be true, it seems like an easy update from a Fast to a BS box is just a matter of copying the ROMS and swapping them into an existing Fast module.;)

And from what I understand, software updates for FAST or the old Fel Pro systems are wishful thinking. Accel just released its latest software for the Gen 7+ last week. I think this is the 5th or 6th upgrade since I bought my Gen 7+ last year...and I haven't even installed it yet! :rolleyes:

It is my understanding that Accel is not fixing problems (there aren't any that I am aware)...just adding more software-based features. However, the new Version 4.0 of the software allows you to use just about any generic wideband oxygen sensor.:)

Originally posted by Scott231 who then missed theallotted editing time ...
However, the new Version 4.0 of the software allows you to use just about any generic wideband oxygen sensor.:)
Which requires a firmware upgrade to the box.

Based on the responses (or lack there of), I can see that very few Buick racers are using BS3. I am leaning toward Gen7 or FAST. I want to be able to use the L2H2 Bosch sensor (lots cheaper).

Who is the best dealer to buy from?

Dave

Originally posted by Scott231
And from what I understand, software updates for FAST or the old Fel Pro systems are wishful thinking.
There is a software update that has been available for a few months now
Can be purchased for $25 direct from them or most vendors
Version 1.02

Big Stuff 3

I was at Orlando this last weekend. I was talking with one of Mike Moran's crew guys and they said that BIg Stuff 3 and Fast are almost identical and if you are a tuner of fast that you will not have any problem switching. I watched another racer change his VE table in Big Stuff and other than the screen color it was the same as my Fast Box. Just my two cents, Moran was still using Fast and Mike Bowman was using Big Stuff 3 (Another Moran Engine)

The fast software is still more user friendly. BS3 has alot of parameters that are just numbers, not graphs as in the fast. The datalogging is very confusing as the colors are almost identical between different parameters. You can not isolate each sensor from the rest as in fast. Other than that its not that different

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
There is a software update that has been available for a few months now
Can be purchased for $25 direct from them or most vendors
Version 1.02

I don't charge for the upgrade provided the customer bought the system from me. In fact, I was told by a FAST representitive that the upgrade was free to ALL current Windows users.

Re: Big Stuff 3

Originally posted by TurboNova
I was at Orlando this last weekend. I was talking with one of Mike Moran's crew guys and they said that BIg Stuff 3 and Fast are almost identical and if you are a tuner of fast that you will not have any problem switching. I watched another racer change his VE table in Big Stuff and other than the screen color it was the same as my Fast Box. Just my two cents, Moran was still using Fast and Mike Bowman was using Big Stuff 3 (Another Moran Engine)

I was told there were only two Big Stuff cars at Orlando and neither car qualified. I'm sure the system isn't at fault, just suprised only two had BS3.

Re: Re: Big Stuff 3

Originally posted by HighPSI
I was told there were only two Big Stuff cars at Orlando and neither car qualified. I'm sure the system isn't at fault, just suprised only two had BS3.

I don't know about only two but I did see two cars with Big Stuff on it. I watched one guy tune with it to get an idea of what it was like.

Originally posted by HighPSI
I don't charge for the upgrade provided the customer bought the system from me. In fact, I was told by a FAST representitive that the upgrade was free to ALL current Windows users.

Cal,

Is Fast providing you with "Free Copies" of the software to distribute?

Not the case here.

Originally posted by norbs
BS3 has alot of parameters that are just numbers, not graphs as in the fast. The datalogging is very confusing as the colors are almost identical between different parameters. You can not isolate each sensor from the rest as in fast. Other than that its not that different

Well, you can monitor more parameters in BS3, you can zoom in on a particular section of the graphed output too, that's nice. The colors are close and confusing but I just eliminate most of that dat that I don't need. That eliminates the confusion because I don't monitor all that extraneous data while I log. It's not any worse than the FAST if you ask me.

BS3 also allows you to name the RPM increments in your matrices. That is really nice, I have way more resolution in the race RPM than at part throttle.

You get to have dashboards for each screen. That is a portion of the bottom of the screen that allows you to see live data. But, you can name what parameters for each screen will be when you bring that screen up.

Another thing that I think is significant. I have an MSD DIS-4 and have had no problems with using it. Many FAST users have had difficulty with that box.

I had a FAST box when it was a Speed Pro, I raced with it up until last year. Harry set me up with the initial tuning but I maintained and modified it as my car changed. With my BS3 box, I did most of the tuning and all the setup (which Harry corrected for me I might add). It programs the same and is just as easy to use. Graphs vs. numbers? Not really sure what that is but I never ran into trouble because the BS3 manual was excellent for instructions.

Oh, the BS3 allows you to interpolate cells, that's nice.