Billet oil filters - new product we are carrying

I'm not sure but I think Norb had one of those collapse on him?"

I think with a comment like above things may need to be cleared up as to what happened with Norbs before I spend $100.00 on a oil filter!

I also for one think this is a great product and the theory behind it and the looks are nice just the word "collapse" scares me!

Ill take the "what do you think" as a "no". About 9 months back, I had gone a little too long with my oil change, so I thought Id change the filter with a fram, run it a few days to catch some extra crap floating around, then do an oil change with a K&N oil filter. After only 2 days, the fram filter had seized on and I couldnt get it off no matter what I did. I only spun the thing on hand tight and lubed the o-ring too, so I have no idea what happened. It took 3 hours and alot of lost blood before I got it off in about 20 pieces. Hacksaw, check. Hammer, check. Long steel bar, check. Screwdriver, check. I eventually got it down to just the ring that mates to the cover, and from there it took another hour of chiseling and hammering and ****ing my front cover up to get it off. I still have no idea what happened but Ill never use a fram product as long as I live. Ever since trying to remove it, my oil pump hasnt felt very good...it spins pretty tight and choppy feeling. During All the prying and hammering I must have damaged something. My turbo started going south after that too. Now I have 1/8" of shaft thrust and its burning oil, and my #6 cylinder is burning oil and fouling plugs. Thanks FRAM!

My bypass was blocked as the gm power manual says to do, but the filter did rupture internally on a cold start. I contact the company and they said they would replace it for free if i sent the old one back to check it. YOU should not block your bypass no matter what. Ill post a pic tomorrow

Waiting for the pic, talked to the mfg on that and he says he has not heard about any problems with collapsing. They have been making them for 28 years.

The filter collasaped as there is no pressure relief valve once you block the bypass, in a buick motor. Once the oil exits the filter then the oil pump pressure spring will limit the psi in the system. This is the down fall of the stock oiling. WHen you go with a dutweiller pump this can;t happen.

Attachments

• cmfilter.JPG
    cmfilter.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 103
Well that sucks, doesn't mean the filters are no good though. How many folks out there running with the bypass blocked anyway????

Well that sucks, doesn't mean the filters are no good though. How many folks out there running with the bypass blocked anyway????

Mine is blocked off, engine builder does not want any unfiltered oil going back into the engine. I run a HP-5 on the motor, and HP-3 for the turbo. Dont keep them on the car long at all, so far so good, but man this is quite costly, filters are not cheap. Been waiting for something like this to come out that is proven to with stand.