Bilstien shocks??

buickshake87

Can order some from autozone when I was looking to replace factory worn out EVERYthing. Just wondering if you guys know if this will help my ride height and if these, from autozone (Bilstiens), are a good shock or should order from somwhere else. I want my car to get its "rake" stance back. Thank you.

You need to replace the springs to get the ride height back. Shocks will do nothing for your current ride height. G body cars are notorious for the rear springs sagging.

When I switched to Bilstiens there was a noticeable difference in ride height in the rear but I think that had a lot to do with how shot the shocks were that I replaced.

How much do the 2 rears cost ? I have a set new in the box that i need to sell.

Can order some from autozone when I was looking to replace factory worn out EVERYthing. Just wondering if you guys know if this will help my ride height and if these, from autozone (Bilstiens), are a good shock or should order from somwhere else. I want my car to get its "rake" stance back. Thank you.

I just did these all around on my GN. Raised it about an inch, though I wasn't looking for it. I really like the stable ride and would buy this style shock again. I bought all four for under a $100, but got a great deal on the fronts.

Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber Shocks and Springs

I have a set of used monroe sensatracs if interested. THey rode great with the stock springs

Sorry guys. I didn't even know you messaged me back. Didn't get the notification on my phone. Already replaced shocks and springs. Gave me about an inch in the rear but I still think either the rear needs another inch or front needs down 1". I would like the stance nosed down a little. I may try finding some adjustables somewhere for it.

All OEM. Looks better. I gotta see if it will grow on me but I'm looking for wheels so I may see if they adjust ride height before buying again

I put Bilsteins in my T Type and it was the hands-down, best money spent on my car especially the suspension. It tightened up the handling, lost the bouncieness it had, really helped it corner, and gave a very smooth ride. I think it raised it a litle bit but settled down after a little while.

Autozone had the best price, but they did have to order them. It took two days, no big deal. $64 each. Summit has tthem too for the same but had to pay shipping and wiat longer as they weren't in stock.

In an effort to find the best prices for the shocks I checked shockwarehouse but they were at $90 a piece fronts and $60 a piece rears or 299.00 a set which is the same as gbodyparts.com. Tirerack came in at $58 a piece fronts and rears. But stillen was the cheapest at $49.33 a piece fronts and rears.

Part # fronts. F4-B36-0949-H0

Part # rears. F4-B46-0929-H0

I just did replace my old shocks with Bilsteins on all 4 corners today. In the rear I noticed the old Sensatracs seemed to be slightly longer than the Bilsteins...meaning I actually had to push up on the rear axle to get the Bilsteins on.

However once the car was lowered back down to the ground, it appeared to have kept the same ride stance as it did before. The old shocks once compressed didn't want to come back out so I think they were well worn. The car does seem a bit smoother now...not what I'd call a significant difference but it did help some.

Here's a word of advice....if you're replacing your front shocks, Bilstein issues you 2 new body bolts that hold the bottom of the shock to the lower control arms....don't use them...unless you also want to figure out the body & thread count/replace the u clips that slide on the lower control arms. Because the new bolts that come with the front shocks are a hair difference in thread count than the old bolts. I learned the hard way when I ended up breaking one of the damn clip nuts and stripping the threads off of the other trying to install the driver side shock. :mad: Now I gotta figure out what size clips mine has. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks.

Ouch man haha. Sorry to hear that. Wish I could help on the shock bolt deal. I've replaced all and has good enough ride now to make me happy. I'm gonna stop picking on the old girl and just drive her.

3 years ago hotchkis had a type-o on bilstien shocks at 50.00 a pair so i got all 4 for 100.

I had problems installing Bilsteins on the front. Of course,I put them up thru the bottom,fastened the top.....then had a heck of a time getting them compressed so that I could fasten the bottom to the lower control arm. Actually had to use a scissors jack on the shock to compress it up to the control arm. Then,one of the nut plates stripped when the bolt was almost tight. Had to nut/bolt it,which wasn't easy.

The shocks absorb speedbump style bumps well. But,if there is a pothole....and the shock has to extend then compress?? *BANG*

I'm not sure what's on the back,but no more Bilsteins or me.

Maybe if the roads are ok,Bilsteins are good. But these roads in Upstate NY are in rough shape.

Just about all of my other cars have KYB's. They ride and handle nicely. Some have many miles on them. That's what I should have put on the front of my GN.

Recently I put new body cushions in. We'll see if it rides any better once it's off the stands.

Now I gotta figure out what size clips mine has. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks.

I don't know what size/thread they are off hand, but find a GOOD hardware store that sells clip nuts (ACE Hardware in my area) and just buy new ones with some heavy grade bolts to match. Clip nuts are great for areas you can't get a regular nut into, but they're brittle and prone to corrosion. I'll pop in new ones whenever possible.