Blowing Oil Filters seal out

Thank you Earl.

Most peeps have no idea that a oil filter is a big time flow restrictor. Without a place for the oil to bypass it's gonna f*** something up. Especially on cold starts!

Quick story: I received a call one day about a oil filter that kept blowing off. Application was Volvo L70D front end loader. Multiple mechanics were scratching their heads and had no idea how this could be happening. I show up with oil pressure gauge screw it into a oil port and start the machine. Pressure shot up to like 60psi. Not to out of the ordinary. I then give it a little rpm. The gauge quickly pegged out (way past 100) and the filter ballooned.. I shut it right down. Luckily the filter didn't rupture again. They done blew 3 of them up already.

So I get out the book and start looking for the bypass valve. It ends up being in a removable aluminum casting on the side of the engine. The filter screw to it as well. I remove the casting and locate the bypass. Low and behold, the spring had broke and allowed the valve to lodge itself on a angle in the bore. Thats was it. Done deal.

The real kicker on this one. The spring and valve were non replaceable.Have to buy the entire casting.
Volvo got over a G note for a busted spring.o_O

Rick

Ok guys had to get a new crank due to spun bearing. didnt change pistons only rering stock ones put a roller cam kit in it with heavier valve springs. Car is pretty stock. We keep blowing the o ring out on the oil filter on cold start up on AC Delco filters. My father just put a Napa Golf filter on yesterday so we will have to see how that holds up. Has anyone had to change the pressure relief spring to lower the pressure on a almost stock motor? Would a remote setup help with this? Went through 2 filters in 2 weeks.
Sounds like the pressure regulator valve is stuck. Unscrew the retainer nut and see if you can remove the spring and valve.

Go to the RJC site and order their "Biggie" oil filter adapter. Then put on a huge Baldwin B9.

Run that tiny little PF47 Delco?? ..or even the 52?? You gotta be kiddin' me.