Bought a parts car 87 GN and can't get it to start?

x2,this plug bypasses all the relays,oil sender,etc.if the pump doesn't energize after applying voltage here,check all wiring leading to fuel pump,if wiring checks out(check plug behind drivers tail lamp/bumper),and also check then fp ground behind the tail lamp (drivers) inside trunk....
sound like ther pump to me......as RC said too.

Actually the wiring is a good point. The ground could have rotted/broken off the lug in the trunk which would prevent the pump from running.

Jim

Check out this site:

86-87 Turbo 3.8 Liter Engine Sensors

The ESC is #16, over the right wheel well. It's a flat plastic box with a bunch of wires off of it, on right inner fender close to blower box.

The fuel pump relay is next to it. (# 13)

That's a very handy and useful page, thanks for the link. Would I be correct in thinking that if there is power to the relay, but no power coming out that the relay maybe bad?

OK what is the ESC?

:eek: Not to be mean but it's been around for at least 30 years or more. Think you better go hit up gnttype for a rundown. Or just send it my way, I could use another project:biggrin:

Its the flat box looking thing up on the fender. Can't remember which one. My car has been torn apart more than it has ran:rolleyes:

It's like being in kindergarten for the mechanically inclined. Other than my TDI Jetta with 404500 KMS and my 1988 Chevy Sportside which has only 155000 KMS, my fun cars have always been old school without much for electronics. I do have an MSD 6AL in my '80 BU to keep the LS6 happy. :redface:

If you jumped the test wire to the back of the alternator and didn't hear the fuel pump run then the fuel pump is no good. You need to drop the tank to replace it. You need to start there. It would be wise to drain the old fuel out of it while you have the tank out.

Jim

Jim you are most likely right. I will check the ground in the trunk first and then go from there to the fuel pump in the gas tank. I have a used Walbro pump that needs a new sock that I had bought for my '86 GN that I sold and never used, so I can try that pump. Where can one buy parts for those pumps?

Barry

Jim you are most likely right. I will check the ground in the trunk first and then go from there to the fuel pump in the gas tank. I have a used Walbro pump that needs a new sock that I had bought for my '86 GN that I sold and never used, so I can try that pump. Where can one buy parts for those pumps?

Barry

I don't know. As I recall the socks are hard to get separately. I bought one that had the wrong sock kit with it and it was a b*tch to get them to find me the right one. Try one of the vendors that sell them.

Jim

I don't know. As I recall the socks are hard to get separately. I bought one that had the wrong sock kit with it and it was a b*tch to get them to find me the right one. Try one of the vendors that sell them.

Jim

OK Jim, that's a good suggestion. Thanks.

Barry

"It's like being in kindergarten for the mechanically inclined"
What do you mean by that???

As for the kindergarten for the mechanically inclined-NOT IN MY GARAGE!

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/show-car-restoration-body-repair/24573 6-my-progress-thread.html

:biggrin: