You can type here any text you want

Breaking up above 22psi?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mario65

Hot Roddicus Supersonicus
I have an alky kit and run 93 octane. My mods are in my sig. I have been running 22 psi for months with what appeared to be no issues and no adjustments to my TT chip. No knock and pure a$$ hauling. I got a boost control bleeder to run above 22psi. The first time I did it I took some timing out and added a little fuel. I saw 25 psi and I as soon as it passed 22psi I got some very light popping almost unnoticeable. I immediately thought to check the plugs. I bought some NGK UR5's and gapped them to 32 and found my old plugs were 42ts AC's with a 40 gap. I absolutely expected the problem to be solved. It didnt fix it. It acts just like it did gapped at 40. I took the fuel out and left the timing retarded some to see if I was overfueling it. It didnt get any better.

My runs are 780-810 on scanmaster.

I am back 22psi running ok. I reset the TT chip back to flat settings.

What would you do?

The coil pack is an accel pack and the coil module is a new autozone piece.

Deep down I hear a voice saying get a real coil module dip****.

Should I just go to a 28 gap and see? Will it hurt drive-ability at that setting?

thanks or all responses.

First off, i'd start with some AC R43TS plugs, gapped at .028". If that doesn't help, Then move on to check plug wires, coil pack, module, etc.

Let us know what you find.

Mike Barnard

somebody wise long time ago said "it is usually something simple ":D..

Replace the coil and module with a known good one. The plugs are not the problem. h

That plug and gap are fine for 22psi, a different member had this issue and his wires were the cause. I'd start there with known quality wires, then do as Bison recommended and swap the coilpack, then the module.

It will clear up, hopefully the wires are it since they're pretty cheap and easy to swap. Oh wire recommendation would be, Known Quality Brand, don't use Wallys Wires from local autoparts store, you'll regret it.

thanks Ill try the plugs again. I dont have wires. I dont have a backup coil pack/coil but Ill look around.

Plug and Gap meaning = UR5's at .032 are common for mid 20's psi so that wouldn't be the blow out issue, Ignition energy/travel would.

Since I'm back in here, what wires are you running and how old/miles?

If you have a volt/ohm meter, check the resistance on the coil towers, as well as the pulg wires. IIRC the coil should read no more than 11-12k ohms across the towers, and the plug wires should read as little resistance in ohms as possible. I think for a stock wire the value is no more than 4k ohms per foot or something, but a good wire will have less than 100 ohms per foot.

If you have a volt/ohm meter, check the resistance on the coil towers, as well as the pulg wires. IIRC the coil should read no more than 11-12k ohms across the towers, and the plug wires should read as little resistance in ohms as possible. I think for a stock wire the value is no more than 4k ohms per foot or something, but a good wire will have less than 100 ohms per foot.
The resistance test for coils/wires isnt always telling you everything. Seeing a nice strong spark with a large gapped plug would tell you better.

Got wrapped up in the other cars today so it looks like maybe monday, if I try it tomorrow it could cost me a dear price on mothers day.

Found a both coil and module in the FS ads so Ill get to that also.

Car is 70k mls really clean and the coil is not too old at all and the module has 500 miles on it. Wires are gm and look recent.

Have you found an issue? I have the same problem. As soon as I go above 20# I get popping in exhaust. I have not checked plug gap yet. will check friday morning and report back.

I had that problem once and it was too big of a gap, and the spark was getting blown out. I closed the gap I think I went from 28 to 25 no problems since

I have never had the spark blowout issue with any ignition module/coil at any boost level from 18-32psi using a .032 gap. I would look beyond spark plugs. Is fuel keeping up over 20psi?

I have never had the spark blowout issue with any ignition module/coil at any boost level from 18-32psi using a .032 gap. I would look beyond spark plugs. Is fuel keeping up over 20psi?
More boost = tighter gap

Just put another gm coil and module same problem.

I am going to go to NAPA and get 42TS again and go to a 30 gap. I think it got worse with the ur5 but not sure.

I want a new set of wires I can pick up today. Ill start looking

Colder plugs won't help you any. Shouldn't need them at that boost level anyway. Are you throwing any codes? WB02?

I can't stress enough how horrible the autoparts stores coils and modules are. Original delco or magnavox for the module.

I picked up these coils great price/quality product. YOu can also get a quality module through this vendor.

Coil Pack - High Output

Why don't you pull the plugs gap then to 25 and see what it does? It's a 20 min. job and it could cure your problem, and if it don't then you know and can go from there

I fixed it but I am not happy on how because I dont know for sure.

I was going back to the original coil setup and like a dip$hit I broke one of the accell coil electrodes. I decided to use the other coil that looks GM and supposed to be working well(I had tried that coil and the other coil pack earlier with the same miss). The car was always wired where the even plugs were across the back of the coil. Even though everyone has said its ok I decided to wire like the coil markings and make sure the colors on the coil were all the blues for the odd plugs and then blue green yellow starting at the coil connector for the even plugs.

I did find a spot on the wires that looked suspect eventhough the ohm check on the wires checked out. I moved the bad part away from metal and ordered a set of taylor 409s off ebay for 65(summit).

I had my kid go get me some r42ts's that I was going to gap to 30. Before he came back I decided to try it out.

It ran like a bad a$$ 25-26psi and no adjustments to the TT chip and was at 780/0.0 knock on the scanmaster.

Go figure. I would say wire was probably it but Ill always wire like the manual says from now on.

So it has a gm looking coil (dont know for sure)
Autozone coil pack fairly new
NGK UR5 at 32 gap
Crap GM wires.

Back