Breaking up

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
Had car running good at 18-19 psi and plugs gapped at .023 on the stock ignition system. Took it out today and its breaking up at WOT again. I had the problem when I first put the new heads on and it cleared up soon as I gapped the plugs tighter. Now, IDK. Im thinking TR6, but I just dont have the money right now. Not one track outing this year...Sucks!

Coilpack is good. I cant gap any lower and my heads are flowing too much for this setup. I think its time to move on to better technology and get the TR6 system. This coilpack took me to 10.5 in the 1/4 tho. I think thats asking more than enough from it..lol

Did you check coil/module on a tester?? I bought one and it is a great tool for the Buick owner.

Had car running good at 18-19 psi and plugs gapped at .023 on the stock ignition system. Took it out today and its breaking up at WOT again. I had the problem when I first put the new heads on and it cleared up soon as I gapped the plugs tighter. Now, IDK. Im thinking TR6, but I just dont have the money right now. Not one track outing this year...Sucks!

Seems odd, you're not running as much boost as you were with the old heads yet are you? I know you did change your turbo housing so who know what you're flowing I guess. Are you logging fuel pressure? I can't remember.

Can you post a log?

Coilpack is good. I cant gap any lower and my heads are flowing too much for this setup. I think its time to move on to better technology and get the TR6 system. This coilpack took me to 10.5 in the 1/4 tho. I think thats asking more than enough from it..lol

Same issue I had on my street car a and a few other local cars when we converted to e-85. At 12-15 psi it was missing like a 2-step. Tried many new and used modules/coil packs with no change.

The problem was solved with the TR6, 20 psi and more!

Have you checked the voltage to the coil pack/mod under load? Connectors and wire in good shape?

Im pretty sure the coilpack is done. I cannot gap any lower on the plugs. I tried leaning it out and sanding the leads for better contact. Tom is gracious enough to loan me the tester. The coils ohmed out at 11.6 each, but that is to test a bad coil and not a weak one.

I have 14.5V at WOT from my volt booster.

Nick, What kind of gap on the plugs can I run using the TR6 and 25psi? That should make mid-upper 9's for me.

Another thing that just occurred to me . It was running good last week at 18-19psi and all of a sudden I get this problem. In the past, it was always a coilpack problem. Nothing changed at all. I was going to start shifting it at 5800rpm for the first time and its breaking up at 5100 so I am really anxious to get this fixed because those heads want some RPM. Yesterday I managed to pull a few more rpm and the car dead hooked with the front end almost coming off the ground in 2nd gear at a slow roll.....Dont believe me...Ill get video when this is fixed..lol

Im pretty sure the coilpack is done. I cannot gap any lower on the plugs. I tried leaning it out and sanding the leads for better contact. Tom is gracious enough to loan me the tester. The coils ohmed out at 11.6 each, but that is to test a bad coil and not a weak one..

I run .028" gap on NGK plugs.

If you want to try a TR6 I can send you one but will need it back soon unless Bob sends me the one I have on order.

Drag low gear with just enough throttle to rev but not make boost and see if it will break up at higher rpms that will rule out spark blow out. Also see if will do it in batch fire mode. Start car and then disconnect cam sensor and try it. If it revs/runs clean then its the cam sensor

Im on stock coil pack, e85, should be around 19 to 20 psi and my car doesnt break up, and im a hot air. This post probly doesnt help you, but if my boost gauge was working properly.i wpuld probable be running more boost.

Same problem I have been having also. Mine was breaking up at higher boost though 21+psi. Brand new nos delco coil pack and ignition module. New ngk's ur6 plugs gapped at 28. New wires also. Installed auto lite r35s and it still felt like it was breaking up. Ended up finding out the car was just pig rich. Started taking out fuel and it cleared up. Took out more fuel and it came alive.....mph went up 3 mph.

Put a new HO coilpack on it from Highway Stars. Not as bad, but breaking up is still there. Ignition module is next.

Hey Bo, this may sound elementary, but have you tried raising the hood in the dark to check for leakage, or tracking from the wires or boots? It takes 20kvolts to jump an arc 1", @40kv that's a 2" arc. I have found bad boots and jackets shorting to the nearest grounds, (i.e. valve cover, screw, etc.) by just opening the hood in the dark. Have the wife rev the engine if need be.
I had one arc to the valve cover where the insulation started to break down on the jacket. Couldn't see it in the day light but it glowed in the dark.