You can type here any text you want

broken cam sensor gear on new motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BIGPSI

broke 2 teeth off of cam sensor gear on new motor why?car has 45 miles on new girdled motor.what causes this,it was an original cam sensor.i'm going to pull the front cover to inspect.when i get it disassembled,i'll tell you what i find.any input would be appreceiated,thanks!!

Oil pump

Hello, Tight oil pump clearence will cause that,( cam drives the cam sensor gear the cam sensor gear drives the oil pump shaft)It prob.broke when you first ran the motor and then the pump loosened up lucky for you!look for damage to the camshaft gear.Use a screwdriver to turn the pump with the cam sensor out and see how it feels?
I have seen this before.

If you can't determine the cause by checking the oil pump,timing chain/gears.

You may also want to check that the girdle hasn't caused an alignment problem with the front cover causing the cam sensor gear and camshaft gear to bind.

It may be worth taking a look at the machined surface on the front of the block that the camshaft flange rides against to see if it is damaged.

This would require you to pull the intake and remove the lifters in order to slide the cam forward so that you can see the machined surface but better safe than sorry.

John :smile:

look at the cam gear .. I had one from Webber that was messed up.. good thing he SOLD me a new one for there mistake:mad:

i'm going to try to get it apart tonight and i'll let you guys know what i find

well i found the problem,oil pump locked up. now i don't know why,motor has been built and done on stand for 2yrs,i remeber it to be smooth and in good order.now i can only find one little piece of the gear,so it looks like i'm pulling the pan.can the pan be easily pulled on girdled motor with a7/8 inch thick girdle?thanks

well i found the problem,oil pump locked up. now i don't know why,motor has been built and done on stand for 2yrs,i remeber it to be smooth and in good order.now i can only find one little piece of the gear,so it looks like i'm pulling the pan.can the pan be easily pulled on girdled motor with a7/8 inch thick girdle?thanks

Did the oil pump lockup and cause the cam sensor gear problem or did the metal shavings from the cam sensor gear cause the oil pump to lockup?

More than likely you will have to pull the engine out.

I don't have a girdle on mine and i have to remove the long bolts from the motor mounts and use a hoist to lift the engine up and then i barely have enough clearance to get my oil pan off.

John :smile:

not sure which one happend first but it only ran about 30 seconds after.i'm going to try and pull the pan first to see if i can find the other pieces of the cam sensor gear.luckily they were big pieces off of the gear,so i'll see what happens.

This is exactly why I will be using a bronze gear on the cam sensor in my new engine.

You won't be able to pull the pan with the girdle unless you lift the motor...how far...don't know?...did you use the Right Stuff to seal the pan?...if so good luck...I used the Right Stuff with a cork pan gasket...had the motor out of the car on a stand and still had great difficulties getting the pan off...had to use a wood chisel to slowly chip away the gasket until I could get it in there far enough to pry the pan off...took me a couple hours...that stuff seals great but what a PITA to get it off...

yeah thats some good stuff,i used it on the front cover it took me like 40 minutes to get it off.luckily i used a rubber gasket on the pan.if i can get the motor high enough it will come right off

Back