Building boost off the line

skwatt

Hey guys, just trying to figure out how you guys are getting boost build up off the line. I power brake mine and get to about 3200 RPM with 0 on the boost guage and if I try to push it from there I will break the slicks loose. I have heard about bigger/softer shoes on the rear. I have the S-10 cylinders and aluminum brake drums. I am going to adjust the parking brake so that it will help hold the tires as well. Is there any thing else that will help me get more boost built up before launching? What shoes are ya'll using?

Higher stall converter should help. It will allow you to build more boost and rpm's before launching.

Your stall is correct for that turbo, something else is wrong. You should try another boost gauge just to see if yours is off.

You should be able to see at least 1 psi, if not 10.

Line lock so you don't heat the rear brakes on the burnout. Took me from 5 to 10 PSI

You don't say exactly what turbo you have in your signature but if it is a TE-60 then your converter may be a little loose. Turbo's need a load on them before they will build boost. You may be making more power on the engine than your brakes can hold that's why when you get to 3200 and you push it further it breaks loose before it boosts. Now, that is assuming that everything about your car is in good working order. Running rich can kill spool as will any exhaust leaks. It can also depend on how you have your waste gate set. If you have an internal gate then puck alignment can cause boost problems too.

My TE-60 starts building boost at about 2100 on the stock converter. I could hold about 3 lbs at 2300 with the stock brakes. I went to S-10 cyclinders but stock shoes (not two long shoes) and can now hold to about 6-8 lbs.

+1 on the good boost gauge

I would say either your boost guage isn't working or your boost controller/waste gate could be the culprit. How does it spool on the street with no power braking?

BTW, I don't know how many people are succesfull with the soft comp. long shoes but I tried them and my rear shoes crumbled apart. I wound up just putting stock shoes back on it and they work fine. I'm also using S-10 wheel cylinders and I can hold over 10 PSI without braking loose.

I would say either your boost guage isn't working or your boost controller/waste gate could be the culprit. How does it spool on the street with no power braking?

BTW, I don't know how many people are succesfull with the soft comp. long shoes but I tried them and my rear shoes crumbled apart. I wound up just putting stock shoes back on it and they work fine. I'm also using S-10 wheel cylinders and I can hold over 10 PSI without braking loose.

spool is quick and hard. I have been told that the boost guage may be off. (it did come from a wrecked car) I will change it out. It does show 23 pounds at WOT which seems to be correct. Maybe it is not working correctly on the lower ranges.