Buying my 1st grand national

Unless you are dead set on a GN, personally I would go looking for an 86 or 87T type/Turbo T. What is your budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm set on a gn and my budget is 20 maybe a little more if the car is super clean and well maintained

It's already been said.... but, definitely do some research. That's a hot-air car for intercooled money. The differences are far beyond just the intercooler, though both 3.8 liters, the engines aren't the same. Intercooled cars are far more desirable, with the 1987 GN making the most stock horsepower and torque, and the 1986 GN having many less units in the production run. Is there a reason you are only after a Grand National? As Charles mentioned, there are other options. The '86 T-Type/ '87 Turbo T cars are mechanically the same as the GN, but with far more color and interior options. If the $16k car in that ad fits your budget, you should be looking at intercooled cars for sure.
I like the t types and turbo ts but I always wanted a GN and that's what I'm after since I've been saving for awhile just to buy that car and dont want to settle for anything less

It's true the 84/5 are rare compared to 86/7 but rare doesn't mean it's worth more. Do some research and wait til a nice Intercooled one comes along. They do pop up at decent prices. It will help to find someone who knows these cars local to help you check one out.
I dont know anybody that's local that's into these cars im basically all alone but if you guys know anybody that will be super cool

I like the t types and turbo ts but I always wanted a GN and that's what I'm after since I've been saving for awhile just to buy that car and dont want to settle for anything less

Nothing wrong with that.... you like what you like. Just wanted to make sure you were aware that they were mechanically the same and it certainly wouldn't be "settling for less", as the intercooled turbo Regals are far more sought after than the '85 GN you were asking about. You're in the right place, there is a ton of experience and helpful info/ advice on this site, not sure what my car would run like without these folks. Also, if you are on Facebook, check out the turbobuick.com members page, it's very active everyday.

My friend Ron Bailey has a couple for sale, he doesn't deal with junk cars , very much a stand up guy.

He said to call him, he can't log in for some reason since he's at work.

(315) 783-3669
He ships cars all over the country.

Bryan

Nothing wrong with that.... you like what you like. Just wanted to make sure you were aware that they were mechanically the same and it certainly wouldn't be "settling for less", as the intercooled turbo Regals are far more sought after than the '85 GN you were asking about. You're in the right place, there is a ton of experience and helpful info/ advice on this site, not sure what my car would run like without these folks. Also, if you are on Facebook, check out the turbobuick.com members page, it's very active everyday.
Yea I know they are the same cars mechanically just really want a grand national. It the car I've always wanted right next to the 87 hurst and I dont have a Facebook but I might have to make an account just to view that page

My friend Ron Bailey has a couple for sale, he doesn't deal with junk cars , very much a stand up guy.

He said to call him, he can't log in for some reason since he's at work.

(315) 783-3669
He ships cars all over the country.

Bryan
Thank you but I like to see the car in person before I purchase and that's a New York number

Has anyone seen the VIN yet? The guy may have typed 85 and it’s actually 87. You won’t know until you go.

Thank you but I like to see the car in person before I purchase and that's a New York number
He's from NY but lives in NC , he is a very good friend and known by many including the owner of this board ...very stand up person.

Bryan

If you're limiting yourself to CA then you may just have to wait. I know you want a GN but there was a member here with a grey limited up in Washington I think...maybe Canada...and it is stupid clean!

Good luck with the hunt. I also started my search for GN only...and now have an 87 T which I have no regrets about.

You MUST educate yourself thoroughly on these cars. Maintenance & parts are expensive.

A clean low mile "T" is far more desirable than a beater GN. These cars are old enough that the odometer has often passed 100K miles. Sometimes a 50K mile car is actually a 150K mile car.

The '86 & '87 models are the ones that created the legend.

PS. You can ship a vehicle in an enclosed trailer for around $1K.

If you're limiting yourself to CA then you may just have to wait. I know you want a GN but there was a member here with a grey limited up in Washington I think...maybe Canada...and it is stupid clean!

Good luck with the hunt. I also started my search for GN only...and now have an 87 T which I have no regrets about.

Canada. I know the car you're talking about, had the price down to $22.5k or $23.5k, if I recall. Absolute steal for what it was, the undercarriage looked like it came out of a powercoating booth the day he took the pics. Maybe the cleanest one I've seen yet. OP has stated that he wants a GN, and I can respect that. However, if I could do it all over again, I would've opened my options some, and maybe I could've ended up with a creampuff like that Limited.

He's from NY but lives in NC , he is a very good friend and known by many including the owner of this board ...very stand up person.

Bryan
Yea but I would like to see the car in person and have the car checked out by a body shop to see if there's rot or not etc. I just cant take a trip like that at the moment because of my job and baby on the way

I just like to see the car I'm about to purchase in person before I pull the trigger on it. Have a body shop and mechanic shop inspect it etc. I've been waiting 4 years to purchase 1 and now that I have the funds I'm really on the hunt now

You MUST educate yourself thoroughly on these cars. Maintenance & parts are expensive.

A clean low mile "T" is far more desirable than a beater GN. These cars are old enough that the odometer has often passed 100K miles. Sometimes a 50K mile car is actually a 150K mile car.

The '86 & '87 models are the ones that created the legend.

PS. You can ship a vehicle in an enclosed trailer for around $1K.
Yea I k NJ ow the odometer is 5 digits only butbisbyhere a way to see if it has rolled over?I always wanted a GN and that's what I'm after. Don't get me wrong the ts are nice as well but I've always wanted a GN and ive dreamt of cruising 1 along the iconic scenic highway 1 up by Big Sur, California along the coastline with my family and I. I cant wait to acquire 1.