You can type here any text you want

Calculating HP loss due to converter slip ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Dyno's are weird with turbo cars. Looking back now I wish I had just dyno'd in 2nd gear because really only wanted to see where this combo stopped making power. Took it out for a spin tonight and 2nd gear 6100 rpm converter slip was 655rpm.
Not weird. Why not run it out in the Dyno in 3rd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not weird. Why not run it out in the Dyno in 3rd?

Bison, my buddy was running the dyno. I don't think something was set up right on the dyno. We had load cut back to 20% but I think acceleration rate was screwed up. The car would just not accelerate/rev at all. We got rpm up to 4500 and I'd nail it, then it would sit at 5500rpm 7 seconds before I got nervous and let out. That to me was weird because I have never experienced that before. We started load at 60% and it would only rev to 5000 on the hit and stay there. It was a dynamics dyno. It belongs to his partner and from what I gather he tunes a lot of diesels on this dyno. I think it may have been set up for a big tq/hp diesel.

The dyno mph was showing 10-15 mph lower than what the car was actually doing and there was no rpm tach hook up. The 445hp run showed I made that at 3700rpm where I was actually spinning 5500rpm. On a 800hp maf I damn near pegged it at 4.3v and engine load pegged at 200%. I have never seen that before on a turbo v6 that wasn't making at least 600rwhp.

Last edited:
Bison, my buddy was running the dyno. I don't think something was set up right on the dyno. We had load cut back to 20% but I think acceleration rate was screwed up. The car would just not accelerate/rev at all. We got rpm up to 4500 and I'd nail it, then it would sit at 5500rpm 7 seconds before I got nervous and let out. That to me was weird because I have never experienced that before. We started load at 60% and it would only rev to 5000 on the hit and stay there. It was a dynamics dyno. It belongs to his partner and from what I gather he tunes a lot of diesels on this dyno. I think it may have been set up for a big tq/hp diesel.

The dyno mph was showing 10-15 mph lower than what the car was actually doing and there was no rpm tach hook up. The 445hp run showed I made that at 3700rpm where I was actually spinning 5500rpm. On a 800hp maf I damn near pegged it at 4.3v and engine load pegged at 200%. I have never seen that before on a turbo v6 that wasn't making at least 600rwhp.

So it's an Eddy current dyno? Maybe try again with the other dyno operator?

None of the data is of any use. Not even sure you can tune with the load that far off. 7 sec at 5500 at 1:1. I'd say it's a trooper. Timing must be somewhat conservative. That's a lot of time and a lot of potential to get the cylinder hot.

None of the data is of any use. Not even sure you can tune with the load that far off. 7 sec at 5500 at 1:1. I'd say it's a trooper. Timing must be somewhat conservative. That's a lot of time and a lot of potential to get the cylinder hot.

lol tell me about it. I kept thinking I'm going to fry the converter! Timing was very conservative at 18* on vp 110 leaded. It was a waste of time although I did get some good steady state logs where I've been having issue in the part throttle department. Also got the upper part of the maf curve dialed in to 11.5 af.

So it's an Eddy current dyno? Maybe try again with the other dyno operator?
It's an Australian dynamics dyno. I wont dyno on it again. I've got an dynojet semi local to me and the track is 5 miles from the house. I just want to get some data so I can set my shift points.

lol tell me about it. I kept thinking I'm going to fry the converter! Timing was very conservative at 18* on vp 110 leaded. It was a waste of time although I did get some good steady state logs where I've been having issue in the part throttle department. Also got the upper part of the maf curve dialed in to 11.5 af.
Don't try this on 93/alky folks!

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to comparing old files from the Hughes to the PTC. On the street the best I could get out of the Hughes was 17% for a split second in one frame @ around 100 MPH.

This file was messing around in overdrive.

converter slip overdrive.jpg

Back