You can type here any text you want

cam choice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buick83-T

83' T-type
With ported 8445 heads and 2800 stall convertor what cam should i go with? Seeing alot mentioned on the 204/214 eldebrock cam....212/212 CC...206/206..Want to go largest possible with my combo..Have 301 turbo & full exhaust upgraded.

Everything you already mentioned or a stock '86-7 lc2 cam will work great.

I know you said you've got the 301 turbo but is it a modified one or are you planning on using it as stock? There's quite a few factors when you choose a cam, but with what it seems you have the 204/214 cam should do fine. It will help spool the turbo a little better since it's got more lift and duration on the exhaust size.;)

I know you said you've got the 301 turbo but is it a modified one or are you planning on using it as stock? There's quite a few factors when you choose a cam, but with what it seems you have the 204/214 cam should do fine. It will help spool the turbo a little better since it's got more lift and duration on the exhaust size.;)

Yes currently ive got the stock 301 turbo(may go to stock 83 .63 exhaust housing at some point)....stock 86-87 cam already in motor...working on the getting the 8445 heads ported with the larger valves. Got postons 2800 stall convertor and headers,2.25 mandrel bent up-pipe, larger downpipe/w external wastegate,ported stock plenum. what about if i swapped in 3.73 gears(already have richmonds) later with taller tires(255/60/15's rear currently)

208/224 duration(schnider?)cam the hotair sfi guys(Lee Thompson ran this cam) too big? I know it was said somewhere to run ported heads and 3000 stall...this cam has little more lift on exhaust than eldebrock cam dont remember LSA........thoughts on thiso_O?
.448 intake .495 exhaust

The issue with running more than the exhaust lift on the edelbrock cam is you may run into piston clearence issues as well as guide issues. As far as using the the stock 301 turbo the exhaust turbine is huge so you need a lot of volume in the exhaust to spool it. You'd be much better off with the stock turbine and housing since it won't take as much energy to spin the turbo.

with what you got, no bigger than 206/206 unless you can afford a custom grind.

are you running the entire 301 unit? why are you externally wastegated?

Whats your goal? how much does your car weigh? lots of questions.....

from my expriance with the 301 unit.... it takes some work to get her rolling, and some very opposite thinking.

Dr_franenstein yes running complete 301 turbo. May end up using stock 83 housing .63 and upgrade compressor wheel...hoping to max out what i have like to see 12's..(full exhaust,ported heads, cam?,301 turbo,3.42 posi currently,alcohol injection,ported stock plenum,2800 stall convertor,electric fan and 160 stat)

Rich, not looking at the roller cams.

looking at going with the 204/214 eldebrock with it having the higher exhaust lift for 301 stock exhaust housing.Havent seen any complaints on it in other post. Was wanting to go with cam with good top end to take advantage of the 3.73's already have. Looking at buildup terrible-T did using the stock 301 looks like I should reach goal with of 12's with good tune 20psi. He had used stock cam,ported heads,stock 301,stock 83 headers?,3.73 gears,2500 stall, 15 psi boost ran 13.5@102?

Also anyone changed compression went up to 9:1 on the carb turbo setup?

Dr_franenstein yes running complete 301 turbo. May end up using stock 83 housing .63 and upgrade compressor wheel...hoping to max out what i have like to see 12's..(full exhaust,ported heads, cam?,301 turbo,3.42 posi currently,alcohol injection,ported stock plenum,2800 stall convertor,electric fan and 160 stat)

looking at going with the 204/214 eldebrock with it having the higher exhaust lift for 301 stock exhaust housing.Havent seen any complaints on it in other post. Was wanting to go with cam with good top end to take advantage of the 3.73's already have. Looking at buildup terrible-T did using the stock 301 looks like I should reach goal with of 12's with good tune 20psi. He had used stock cam,ported heads,stock 301,stock 83 headers?,3.73 gears,2500 stall, 15 psi boost ran 13.5@102?

Its not that much more for a custom ground cam well worth the money to get what you want

If you aren't running an open plenum intake then any cam with more than 190* duration @.050 is a waste. I'd adapt an 86-89 turbo
and build around an open plenum intake.

if your planning on running aftermarket headers and the such, i would suggest you get that turbo upgraded first. its hard for me to spool the unit without using a bit of NOS. that turbine is heavier then it looks. headers slowed me way down. and it took a 3200 stall for me to get it rolling right.

3.73s slowed me down as well, you need that engine to load up to produce the energy needed to move the 301 turbine. having a split pattern cam with the stock intake is useless. you cant get any more out if nuthing got in in the first place.

I run 10-1 on mine.

Bison is 100% correct on the intake. if your using stock then its beating your head aganst a wall. A 20 psi number on a carb turbo is nuthing more then an indication of restriction. 20psi with the stocker is like 10 with a open unit.

I've got to agree here. Unless you're willing to cut the stock intake open so you can port the heck out of it you're better off with an open plenum design to help with flow as well as reduce heating and restriction.;)

What all could be done to stock intake? Remove divider and smooth/polish ports? Has anyone experimented with a different intake modified to fit?

You can gut the intake but you've got to cut the bottom off to do it. This is easier with an 82-83 intake since you've got access to the bottom but on the earlier ones you have more to cut through. This is not for the person that can't do it or isn't used to this type of work. Opening it up will increase flow but there are other things you need to understand about the system as well.
DSCN0003.JPG

You can also adapt a different intake as well, like Aj has done. The aftermarket intakes flow better but the height may be an issue.

You can gut the intake but you've got to cut the bottom off to do it. This is easier with an 82-83 intake since you've got access to the bottom but on the earlier ones you have more to cut through. This is not for the person that can't do it or isn't used to this type of work. Opening it up will increase flow but there are other things you need to understand about the system as well.
View attachment 174680

You can also adapt a different intake as well, like Aj has done. The aftermarket intakes flow better but the height may be an issue.

Which aftermarket intakes have been modded to fit? Weiand I thought had been mentioned before as possible to modify to fit. What did AJ use?

Would a split cam on the intake side be a better choice with the intake restriction... stock or ported?

Weiand is a great one along with one of the original KB intakes. Aj's using a very modified edelbrock if I remember right.

What all could be done to stock intake? Remove divider and smooth/polish ports? Has anyone experimented with a different intake modified to fit?
You can send your intake to Etrude Hone To have it ported with a compound that will increase its flow for about 350 bucks.

I am using the weiand. i tried the edelbrock but it was just too tall.

I have the weiand milled down, and a custom aluminum turtle inside the plenum. it barely fits under my hood. I do not think it would fit under a regal hood without some mods.

The stocker just isnt going to flow no matter the amount of porting or flowing done. there are tooo many turns to make this happen properly. if it was moving air alone, it would be a viable solution.... but every turn you add to a moving "hot" fuel mixture causes sheer. Sheer is whats slowing us down and making us detonation prone.

Back