You can type here any text you want

Cam Oil Plug size

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tweeker

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if someone could tell me what the size of the cam oil plug is. I had a plug kit from Summit and all fit except cam plug(1 61/64). Am I gonna have to get all of them or can I maybe pick one up at the local Auto Parts store.

Thanx in Advance, Doug:)

Was the cam plug, expansion plug (at the back of the block, rear of the camshaft bore) too large? I just put in a set of cam bearings in my 455 V8 and the plug was a 1 59/64 piece.

If it's for the rear cam plug I had the same problem. NAPA was useless. I seeked high and low and absolutly no one had the proper size. My suggestion is to try a machine shop were they rebuild engines. My experiance was hell so I had to make one myself cause no one had it.

I had to use one that was for the 1940's-50's Buick engines. I don't remember the size but it was the closest fit. It was about a 32nd's to big so I spent 4 hours on my power table sanding/grinder to get an even grind all the way around and constantly measuring for an even tight fit.

When I had an even tight fit I coated it with silicone sealer and I think I used a 1-1/8" impact socket to hammer it in. It's been 2 months since then and even with a 75-lbs of oil pressure at start up there are no signs of leakage.

I wondered at the time how sorry I would feel for a guy who would suffer the pain I went through. :(

Good luck....you're gonna need it! Hope you do find the proper size and avoid my suffering...:D

Cam Plug

Thanx for the responses guys. Scott the plug was just a little to big. I know it has to be a little tight but this one wasn't going. Last time I had it put in the machine shop did it when they put in the cam bearings. I pitched it when I had new cam bearings put in (Spun Rod) thinking the one I had left over would be no hassles. Wrong!! I was thinkin 1 59/64, but wasn't sure so I figured I would ask. I think they put it in dry and it didn't leak, but I put a little gasket sealer on the freeze plugs so I hear ya on the silicon Freddie! Well hopefully I can find one at the parts store I probably will have better luck with the Machine shop. Talk to ya Scott, Freddie!!!

Thanx, Doug

Back