Cam shaft endplay

Dr.drivability

9 second wannabee
Putting engine back together, just curious what camshaft end play should be. It's a comp x3 roller from full throttle.

I was told from Brian (I believe) at Cottons to put the cam in until it has no movement back and forth THEN remove the smallest shim. What button do you have, the comp cam button?

I was told from Brian (I believe) at Cottons to put the cam in until it has no movement back and forth THEN remove the smallest shim. What button do you have, the comp cam button?
It's the one that I got w/ my full throttle stroker kit. This cam moves quite a bit. maybe 1/8".

Heres a pic of mine, with some of the shims.

Attachments

• cambutton 009.jpg
    cambutton 009.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 205
Does that button fit on a stock style cam? If it does where can I get one?

I'm not sure. I got a Comp Cams 206/206 roller from Cotton, and he said that you need this button for the cam. I dont have my cam right now (its at the machine shop getting fitted for the torrington bearing:cool:) or I would take a pic of the front. I paid $45 for it. It's alot better than what my d-bag machinist put in there to begin with.

Does that button fit on a stock style cam? If it does where can I get one?

Its a comp part number. FT lists it as a roller thrust button. About $50. I like .010 end play unless you have the torrington bearing. With that you can go down to .001

I'm not sure. I got a Comp Cams 206/206 roller from Cotton, and he said that you need this button for the cam. I dont have my cam right now (its at the machine shop getting fitted for the torrington bearing:cool:) or I would take a pic of the front. I paid $45 for it. It's alot better than what my d-bag machinist put in there to begin with.

d-bag=douche bag?

Its a comp part number. FT lists it as a roller thrust button. About $50. I like .010 end play unless you have the torrington bearing. With that you can go down to .001

Kinda vague there Brian. It fits a roller cam with the stock style nose on it? I'd prefer this to the one with the spring on it to make sure there's no issues in the long run.

d-bag=douche bag?

Correct, A giant bag of douche to say the Least!

Charlie the button fits very snug in the front of the cam, when I get the cam back i'll take a pic of it, But I dont have a stock cam to compare it too.

I set mine at .006 and used the roller button on my 206 comp.. Don't use the stock button or the spring loaded button. I had to make my own shims and be sure to put the water pump bolts in and toruqe them also or you'll get a false reading.

Correct, A giant bag of douche to say the Least!

Charlie the button fits very snug in the front of the cam, when I get the cam back i'll take a pic of it, But I dont have a stock cam to compare it too.

I'd appreciate it. If you could measure the size of the hole it goes in and I'll see what size the stock one is. That way I can make sure it fits and should work.

Thanks Brian, got a part # for it?

I dont have the part #. Its some comp #. Maybe someone else has it handy? Its the $49 one on full throttles site even though they have the wrong pic for it.