You can type here any text you want

cam shim wear?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1986TR

"EVIL RGL"
i got this 109 block down to bare block .but noticed when i pulled cam out it had worn into block and shim was thrashed...this was a flat tappet cam with roller button on it....my question for some of the more experienced members is this......
1..does a flat tappet cam take shims behind it?
2.is it possible the cam button spring was pushing cam back causing the wear (no end play in cam)?
3.and how bad is this wear?

Attachments

• DSC00124.jpg
    DSC00124.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC00125.jpg
    DSC00125.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC00121.jpg
    DSC00121.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 299
I have seen this mostly with billet cams. lack of lube there. What is the piece your holding? looks like a shim? The bottom of those cam bearings look like the chain may have been tight, that could have been the begining?
ML

mike thanks for input...yes that is the shim that was behind the cam...this had a double roller chain which seemed alittle loose to me but maybe when it was installed new it was to tight...do you think i can reuse this block? i plan on using a 208/208 flat tappet cam

Not to butt in but,

I have never had this problem but I'm thinking--find the correct O.D. and I.D. torrington bearing and have the necessary material removed from block---problem solved !!!

measurements

I know what the I.D. is--same as cam bearing--see if you can get an O.D. from the block--I may have a bearing.

LOT could you explain how a "torrington" bearing would take care of this...any pics of the bearing?

Here is a picture of the block protector kit that Jegs sells it's for a small block chevy. I had my local machine shop repair my block that had the cam machined surface damaged and i believe they used a setup similar to this and was for the small block chevy if i'm not mistaken.

JEGS 20490 JEGS Block Protector Kits

Your block looks fine. When it looks like this your phucked :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Cam 001.jpg
    Cam 001.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 243
daily that does not look good!!! well i took it to machine shop today to see if could be welded and milled back down.. after looking at it closely there is a oil galley in back of cam flange that looks to feed the cam sensor gear whoever built this motor before put a shim there blocking the oil feed hole at least thats my guess:confused:

DO NOT WELD IT. I did that with mine and it tweaked the journal. Best thing to do is get a torrington bearing to put between the block and cam. DON'T WELD IT.

iam going to call the machine shop in the morning...i dont think you could get a torrington bearing for buicks can you? and what about the oil feed hole for the cam sensor gear?

iam going to call the machine shop in the morning...i dont think you could get a torrington bearing for buicks can you? and what about the oil feed hole for the cam sensor gear?

You can put in an orificed oil squirter that shoos oil in the gear. It only needs a little. The torrington bearing is the way to go. Cut the back of the cam in a lathe. Ive done it before. It works.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/296204-new-cam-bearings-wtf.html Its not a "bolt in" affair, machining will still need to be done, but the torrington can take a lot of load.. As far as oiling the front goes, I think the front bearing can be "modified" with a groove so oil can get to the bearing, or a metered hole drilled in the front cover........ I would say ask Bison, but I think he stopped giving out tech advice :p

edit: Tree'd by Bison :rolleyes: good tech advice bud :D

well iam going to let the machine shop decide if it can be welded in or not.i have been dealing with them for close to 2o years and they have been in buisness a long time.today when i droped it off the welder had gone home for the day so ill call him in the morning

well iam going to let the machine shop decide if it can be welded in or not.i have been dealing with them for close to 2o years and they have been in buisness a long time.today when i droped it off the welder had gone home for the day so ill call him in the morning

Good luck if they weld it.

DO NOT weld it, machine it down and press a piece of silicone bronze in as a wear plate
ML

macine shop would not weld it....so mike this silicone bronze plate were could i find it and do you mean machine a slot for it the block itself?.....

any one think it will be ok to use as is? iam going with a flat tappet cam..with the cam installed all the way in it spins freely it does not seem to rub on the block...

Back