You can type here any text you want

Cams, Why not just get the biggest one?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qws2000

My question is when trying to make horsepower, why not just get the biggest cam you can? Can you make good horsepower with like a 206/206? I am not a motor guy and just learning and doing my best to understand what really makes these cars go fast.

Need to dig deeper for a good answer. Biggest cam for what, stage head, stock iron head, or stock style aluminum ? They all have there limitations to a spring package and overall dictates the "largest" cam.
Allan G.

My question is when trying to make horsepower, why not just get the biggest cam you can? Can you make good horsepower with like a 206/206? I am not a motor guy and just learning and doing my best to understand what really makes these cars go fast.
You can make good power with the stock cam

While a "larger" cam may make high HP the issue is whether it's at a usable RPM range. You can make great HP between 8 and 9 grand but on the street it will be a dog to say the least.:rolleyes: Remember the "thumpers" that used to run on the street and sounded cool? Most of the time they sounded "cool" but didn't do much other than sound cool.o_O What you need to figure out is what works best for the combo of parts that you plan on using. You can have a really cool sounding car that won't get off the line or you can have a car that will embarrass cars that are newer and are supposed to be faster.:D

The cam needs to match the rest of the combo. A 206 206 is a great cam for even a low 10 sec car. Bigger won't necessarily make more power, just kill spool up and low end power.

motor 002.JPGmotor 002.JPGmotor 004.JPGmotor 008.JPGmotor 005.JPGmotor 007.JPG I kinda like Charlie answer, always hear hey kid "its not one killer part, but more about combinations" I have a new motor coming together and Im going slow with the intent not to make a mistake... Really the thread should be "My journey to obtain a consistent 10 sec street car". Here is my starting point........

Attachments

• motor 003.JPG
    motor 003.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 161
Don't be fooled. There is a "big" 206/206. Looking at the duration at .050" doesn't tell you much about the size of the cam.

qws2000 said:
I kinda like Charlie answer, always hear hey kid "its not one killer part, but more about combinations" I have a new motor coming together and Im going slow with the intent not to make a mistake... Really the thread should be "My journey to obtain a consistent 10 sec street car". Here is my starting point........

If you have race ported heads going on there you would definitely see power over the commonly run cams you see posted about here. A faster ramp will increase the engines breathing ability and not add in much or any overlap. As long as there isn't any inlet/outlet restrictions you will make more power with a proper cam selection.

qws2000 said:
I kinda like Charlie answer, always hear hey kid "its not one killer part, but more about combinations" I have a new motor coming together and Im going slow with the intent not to make a mistake... Really the thread should be "My journey to obtain a consistent 10 sec street car". Here is my starting point........

Your gonna like that turbo!

People say that those big cams kill spooling even with a good set up... What would be a big cam for these cars,?? It seems the springs play a larger role... Seat pressure and open, its kinda crazy

what makes the cars go fast is like any other car our cars are no different,getting air in and out.heads,cam,unrestricted intake and exhaust etc.you can make good power with a 206/206 for sure I ran a stock cam into the 10s and have a much bigger cam in current combo.looking at your sig your car should be moving out pretty good with those parts unless you have the boost turned way down.

qws2000 said:
People say that those big cams kill spooling even with a good set up... What would be a big cam for these cars,?? It seems the springs play a larger role... Seat pressure and open, its kinda crazy
Who are these "people" and what cams are thy referring to? Ive seen cams with more duration well above .050" have the same or less overlap than ones with more duration at .050". I know which one I'd want in my engine if I was looking to make power.

People= just guys in my local car club who know more than me... If I tell them I was looking to put a cam of 220s, they laugh and say way too much, I told them the heads are going to be race ported.. Also the motor in the pics which is going in the car shortly is a stroker that's also .30 over

qws2000 said:
People= just guys in my local car club who know more than me... If I tell them I was looking to put a cam of 220s, they laugh and say way too much, I told them the heads are going to be race ported.. Also the motor in the pics which is going in the car shortly is a stroker that's also .30 over

What mph are you looking for?

Go with what Bison tells you, he wont steer you wrong. Keep us posted on your progress, I am interested to see how it all turns out for you.

The 145 was more of a joke... I totally will follow Brian, he knows this new build and have been taking his suggestions as the end all, The cam and heads are his call, he makes the choice.... The question was more for me to get a better understanding of cams and where they fit in a purpose build. It also was more to figure why my current motor will not rev past 5300 RPMs.

qws2000 said:

You need an aggressive cam and proper valvetrain for a goal like that. Let me know if you would like one of these cams/springs and directions for install etc.

Back