You can type here any text you want

Can a GM 6cyl computer be modified for 8 cyl?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SPLNHRD

Hey fellas, trying a new set up. I am building a twin turbo small block Chevy and am building it on a shoe string budget. So far I have the turbos, I/C's, Longblock and headers. Originally it was to be carbeurated, then I drove a friends Camaro with an old Banks TT and I hated it! I like the driveability of a Buick turbo and I refuse to give it up.

I read a post on the diy_efi board and read that someone had use a computer froom a syclone and added some drivers and such to make it compatible with an 8cyl. has anyone tried or attempted this? Is it possible? I am not trying to be cheap, I think the General's computers are very reliable and functional and would like to see how far thier limits can be pushed. Thanks for any help. Laters, Jonathan 505-980-7226 :cool:

Your best bet is to buy an older DFI set up off of EBay rather than fighting with the stock GM electronics. The stock Buick set up works well, but you also have to remember it has over 15 years of R&D behind it. Save yourself the aggravation and put DFI on it. There are plenty of places that will sell you a start up program to get you going and you can easily tune from there with out burning new proms every time it needs a tweak.

Thanks for the advice, I just can't seem to find an aftermarket set-up that anyone wants to let go for a decent price. I am on a shoe string budget with this project so I am looking for alternatives. Thanks! Jonathan

Originally posted by SPLNHRD
Hey fellas, trying a new set up. I am building a twin turbo small block Chevy and am building it on a shoe string budget. So far I have the turbos, I/C's, Longblock and headers. Originally it was to be carbeurated, then I drove a friends Camaro with an old Banks TT and I hated it! I like the driveability of a Buick turbo and I refuse to give it up.

I read a post on the diy_efi board and read that someone had use a computer froom a syclone and added some drivers and such to make it compatible with an 8cyl. has anyone tried or attempted this? Is it possible? I am not trying to be cheap, I think the General's computers are very reliable and functional and would like to see how far thier limits can be pushed. Thanks for any help. Laters, Jonathan 505-980-7226 :cool:

Use a 1227749 ecm.
It's what the syclones, and some Quad 4s used.
If your using saturated drivers, then no internal modes are needed.
Just use a v8 memcal (loke from a TPI 90-92 F Body) and the syclone code, and set the cylinder select in the code to v8.

Any full mapping of an ecm will take time.

Lots of threads in the archives at GMECM and DIY-EFI.ORG.

ThanksGuys!!! That Megasquirt is pretty cool! Don't know if I could do it, but hey I know alot of friends out there!!!haha!

I love the idea of using the Syclone computer, I did not know that the 749 computer would support a V-8.

One question, What is "saturated drivers" mean? Thanks for the help. Laters, JOnathan

Back