Can engine be saved?

Mr-SShadow

Last night I was driving the turbo monte and the temp gage maxed out, my coolant was low, topped off radiator and drove home. Temp started rising again ten minutes later, also my oil pressure gage was maxed too. I also stalled out once when I stopped at at light and had to restart.

Checked radiator and it was low again. Checked the oil dip stick and it was like chocolate milk. So I figure a blown head gasket. If I replace the gasket and flush the engine should I be ok? Or is the damage done and I gotta replace the engine? =(

Well... whenever I do a HG, I always pull the oilpan to clean it out and then pull a bearing cap to make sure their OK too.

If you had anti-freeze in the radiator and it got into the oil pan then chances are you have damaged the bearings in the engine.

You will probably be ok if you pull the engine and take it apart for inspection to see what the extent of the damage is. Then take the block to a machine shop and have it hot tanked and cleaned and have them install new cam bearings, if you do your own engine assembly buy the rod and main bearings and do them yourself.

If you are not in a position to pull the engine you could drain the oil pan and run some new oil through it and flush it out the best you can and then remove the pan to clean it out and clean or replace the oil pick-up tube since it will probably have some head gasket material stuck to it. Then replace the head gaskets, i would do both if at all possible.

You didn't say how many miles are on the engine, so it will depend on what you want to do as far as repairs go, and how much you want to spend. :)

You didn't say how many miles are on the engine, so it will depend on what you want to do as far as repairs go, and how much you want to spend. :)

Just rebuilt the engine about 4k miles ago, well there goes the 2k I've been saving for a new paint job

JE Pistons / Comp 212/212 Camshaft
New TE-51 Turbo
New 50LB Delphi Fuel Injectors
Jet Hot Coated Intake, Valve Covers and Turbo Shield
Head were freshened the same time as the motor
Terry Houston Down pipe
New RJC Power Plate
New ARP Studs
New RJC Boost Controller
New RJC Rocker Arm Reinforcements

What was the ratio of water to antifreeze? If mostly water, you'd be in a better off boat then if more coolant.

What type od headgaskets were used? I would also wanna know why theyw ent after only 4000 miles...

wow only 4k on the new motor. anyways next time just used water and RMI

Mesa, Arizona. I doubt he uses anti-freeze since the last time it froze there was during the previous global cooling period of 1066. (Just after the Battle of Hastings.) :tongue:

Hg

For now drain coolant system and drop pan clean it out thoroughly, visually inspect the bottom end you may not see anything that stands out. If there is nothing screaming at you and you feel confident, then you can confirm any unseen damage later once she's running again. So If there is no metal debris tiny metallic flecks then button up oil pan with new cork gasket. Change out head gaskets and torque down according to specs with new ARP head bolts. Flush/clean coolant and oiling system Put in new motor oil and distilled water and RMI-25 . Sometimes you dodge a bullet and get by with just flushing the milk shake out of the engine no damage was done. Hopefully that will be all you have to do is change out HG's. After a couple hundred miles change out coolant with fresk aqua and 25. Would probably change motor oil and oil filter after running the car at operating temp that way it's made the circuit and you get any stray contaminents out.

Mesa, Arizona. I doubt he uses anti-freeze since the last time it froze there was during the previous global cooling period of 1066. (Just after the Battle of Hastings.) :tongue:

Anti-freeze isn't just for preventing an engines coolant from freezing it also raises the boiling point of the coolant so it doesn't overheat.:tongue:

If you have a flat cam in there it will probably $hit the bed in short order. If not id just pull the engine and check the bearings to be safe. You must find out why you had a failure though.

While it is true that antifreeze has a higher boiling point, water has better cooling properties (specific heat capacity) and will allow an engine to run cooler. In Mesa, Az I would stick with water and RMI-25 or some other type of "water wetter".

Before you drop the oil pan and pull the intake and heads, find out where the coolant is coming from.....might not be HG's. The front cover to block gasket might also be a potential source of coolant in the oil.....I've seen that before.

Inspect your bearings......even if the bearings are damaged from coolant, you probably didn't damage the crank journals. You can replace every bearing on the crank without removing the engine!!

"Brake clean" everything and blow it dry......no reason to pull the engine unless the crank is toast.

Dave