Can i run a "race" chip on 92 if i lower timing via maft+?

Turbo Brian

What do I type here?
i bought a TT race chip about 3 years ago but ive never used it. i put it in today just to make sure it worked, and it does. in fact, its driveability is way better than the chip ive been using on the street. given that i have a translator plus, is it safe to run this "race" chip on 92 gas if i use the t+ to lower the base and wot timing? just for todays little test drive, i dialed it back to 19 base 18 wot and it seemed fine in normal driving. i didnt have any "fun" with it as i didnt want to break anything if its still not a good idea to run this race chip with 92 gas. i imagine even if the fueling is off for the lower street boost, i could get around that with the t+ too, or even via TT's user programming (those are lost at battery disconnect, right?)

Im sure someone will chime in that knows but I have done it before with no problems. Several years ago when I was changing chips back and forth I left the race chip (110 octane) in and 93 on 14-15lbs of boost on the street. The car just seemed to respond better that way. And back then I didn't have a adjustable chip like the TT chip so if you adjust it should be much better.

Now days I run XFI so the days of changing chips are gone. I'm sure it's not recommended. lol What octane is the race chip set for?

that's the beauty of running these adjustable chips. becareful but dial it down some more and watch the boost.

I didn't think the T+ worked with a TT chip, just extender/extreme. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think you need to lower the timing with a SM. No KR is no KR so run it and find out.

Everyone is right, with that low octane for that chip watch out for detonation over 15lbs or so..

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I didn't think the T+ worked with a TT chip, just extender/extreme. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think you need to lower the timing with a SM. No KR is no KR so run it and find out.

I could be wrong but I want to say the T+ timing adjustment will work with any chip.
WOT maf adjustment is limited.

Rick

In short, "yes".

In the T+, all of the "magic" for trimming out spark and fuel timing is done in the little box, not in the chip.

Example: If you retard the spark timing in the T+, nothing happens inside the chip. The T+ takes the spark signal from the chip/ECM and delays it a tiny bit before sending the signal to the ignition coil. Result: spark timing is retarded. This is a simplified layman explanation, but hopefully it makes sense.

Example 2: if you increase WOT fueling in the T+, again, nothing happens inside the chip. Let's say you increase WOT fueling by 4%. What the T+ does in take the MAF signal, increases it by 4%, and sends that MAF reading to the ECM/chip. Since the ECM and chip are seeing a MAF reading that is 4% above actual, they add 4% more fuel. The T+ basically fakes-out the ECM/chip by inflating the MAF reading in order to increase the fueling.

If you want to run a race chip on the street and don't have the ability to change spark timing and fuel in the chip, I would recommend doing the following:

1. Retard the WOT spark timing. Keep retarding it until the sparking timing shown on your SM is about 18 or 19 degrees in 1st/2nd gear and about 17 in 3rd gear. This is a good starting point for 93-octane fuel and no alky.

2. Increase the WOT fueling by at least 4%. It's likely that a racing chip runs a little leaner than a street chip at WOT.

If you see any knock at 16 or 17 psi, then increase fuel or retard spark further.

HAVING SAID ALL OF THE ABOVE:
If your TurboTweak chip is "new enough" that is has the adjustable WOT spark and WOT fuel adjustments, then set all of the T+ adjustments to "zero" (i.e. no adjustment). Retard WOT spark and increase WOT fuel by changing the settings in the chip. My feeling is that this will work better for you than trying to do it with the T+. By doing this, the MAF and spark timing readings that you see on your SM will be "real", as the T+ won't be altering any signals.

Good Luck,

Mike