Can I run low 12's with this combo???

if you ran 12's in your Lightning, stop and think about how much hp per cubic in was required......these little TR's only have 231 cu in and were designed to have 245 hp........your Lightning was designed and engineered to run 350+ hp on pump gas, so we are talking apples and oranges there.....however, if you would like to bring the Lightning out sometime, I will demonstrate how 231 cu with good gas can go

Nick Micale is sitting here with me and he suggested the last GN that tried to run low 12's on pump gas (with alcohol) is now under repair at his shop for some new headgaskets.....

nobody runs around town with $100 worth of gas in the tank (except JacK) here in Phoenix.......we put it in to go racing at the track....

there is no way a GN in "street" trim will run like one in "race" trim....that is the way it works with these cars....period

BTW, please ignore the posts from all the guys outside of AZ that claim thus and so on pump gas....there are some places that still sell 93/94 octane without a bunch of oxidizers/crapola plus have much cooler temps.....

Nick Micale is sitting here with me

So Nick your saying I am not in the 12's? I would hope to be fairly deep in the 11's with my setup at 22 lbs. Or are you just waiting for my car to show up on a tow truck.

Re: Nick Micale is sitting here with me

Originally posted by lrover2
So Nick your saying I am not in the 12's? I would hope to be fairly deep in the 11's with my setup at 22 lbs. Or are you just waiting for my car to show up on a tow truck.

Chris, your deep 11's best be done with race gas or you will adding to the collection of head gaskets on the wall.

it is pretty hard to run over 98-99 mph on a street chip in the 1320 . you should run a low 13 maybe ahigh 12 depending on weather and track conditions. you need the octane and a race chip. maybe some alchol will get you there. im not to sure i run c16 with a terminator 2 race chip @ the track and a kb pro chip in the street 93 oct . it is well worth the investment if you want to seeyour et drop and mph go up.
charloots
we4
;)

Woody/Nick -

What are your thoughts on running alky 24/7 on a car that's driven on the street most of the time and at the track 1-2 times per month at the most? How often do you need to refill the alky tank if you're getting on it a couple times a day? (I'm just not sure how much alky is used up. Example - how many 1/4 mile runs can you get out of a "jug" of alky?)

I've added up my list of mods i'd need to do to put me in the low 12 area, including alky. I'm around $3500 installed if i've done my math correctly, plus $1500 in stereo. OUCH!!

Anyone interested in a nice '86 GN for around $10k??? ;)

How often do you need to refill the alky tank

First of all why are you selling it? And to answer your question, you fill the tank and set the turn on point to where ever you feel it necessary to spray. I have mine coming on at about 10 lbs of boost. I drive my car every day. I probably fill the tank once a week (if that). I believe it is a half-gallon tank. You can also dilute it with water if you like. In my opinion it is the only way to go for a daily driver that you want to push some pounds with and not half to pay the $4 or $5 bucks a gallon. If you just got the car why don’t you give it a chance? Heck I busted the cam in mine the first week I had it and after allot of cussing and bitching I still have mine. After all of the cars I have owned (and I have been through many) this one has been the most fun. Let me know if you need any help or have any more questions. Heck I am about right next door to you.

lrover2
Thanks for the info. I'm just a bit frustrated because I sold the Lightning for a less expensive car to allow us to do some other financial things like buying a rental home. I just didn't realize I'd be this deep into this car to get it close to where I want it. I might have to meet up with you and chat though. We're in Tempe Royal Palms just on the other side of the 101 and Elliot!

I would also listen to Mr URL when it comes to alchy injection.. I have seen Chads progress and testing with different types of alchy, chip timing, ect. He's definitely been there and done that..

Regards
KS:cool:

Originally posted by azgn

Nick Micale is sitting here with me and he suggested the last GN that tried to run low 12's on pump gas (with alcohol) is now under repair at his shop for some new headgaskets.....

nobody runs around town with $100 worth of gas in the tank (except JacK) here in Phoenix.......we put it in to go racing at the track....

there is no way a GN in "street" trim will run like one in "race" trim....that is the way it works with these cars....period

BTW, please ignore the posts from all the guys outside of AZ that claim thus and so on pump gas....there are some places that still sell 93/94 octane without a bunch of oxidizers/crapola plus have much cooler temps.....

I beg to differ. Sure race gas is safer but I've been running alchy for 6 years with countless WOT runs with not one head gasket or motor lost. It's all in tuning just like race gas. I can run 11's all day with 91 octane gas no problem by just bolting on slicks. GN runs 11.70's and T-Type I'm working on running high 10's all on pump gas. Call me crazy but if you take the time it works and works reliably. I don't want to be caught with my pants down with 15 psi boost and a low octane chip in my mainly street driven car when that hopped up car pulls up next to me at a stop light. Ahh...hold on I need to put in some race gas, race chip, and up the boost. I'll meet up with you in an hour with a box of O2 sensors. No, really my car is faster than it sits right now. Don't knock it cause someone lost some head gaskets. You can loose them anytime something goes wrong race gas or not.

Mr URL
I don't want to be caught with my pants down with 15 psi boost and a low octane chip in my mainly street driven car when that hopped up car pulls up next to me at a stop light. Ahh...hold on I need to put in some race gas, race chip, and up the boost. I'll meet up with you in an hour with a box of O2 sensors. No, really my car is faster than it sits right now.

That's EXACTLY what I want to avoid. I want a street driven 12 second car. As it appears, that's nearly impossible without alky (or $100 per tank race fuel). I just hate thinking of having a car that is only fast at the track.

ERRRGGGG!!! :mad:

as Chad suggested, the best route to go if you want big power all the time is alky......but, race fuel will still always outperform alky......it seems alky is equivalent to 100+ octane and that will get you plenty with all the other parts you have

or, you can build a combo capable of much more on race gas and turn the boost down.......my car will run high 11's on pump gas and 14 lbs boost (assuming there is some traction...)

the main problem on the street is traction.......about the minimum that will work is drag radials......ET Streets are better

good luck

I sold the Lightning for a less expensive car

Trust me Weedo I have no problems teaching a lightning a thing or two. Its the modified Z06 that you may have to pay attention while running against.

WOODY -

or, you can build a combo capable of much more on race gas and turn the boost down.......my car will run high 11's on pump gas and 14 lbs boost (assuming there is some traction...)

That sounds like a great idea Woody! If i go that route, what differences in the "package deal" am i looking at? Bigger turbo and injectors i assume? What else? But if i can put together a package like that and run pump (91) gas at around 14 pounds of boost and still get the car to run low 12's on drag radials, sign me up!!!
What extra expense is there? I know Nick said going with a bigger turbo/injectors would not be as good of a package on the street (correct me if i'm wrong though).

I think this brings up an interesting question.. Say you wanted a 12.0 car on 91 octane (or similar times), which combo would/could be easier on parts? A detuned 10 second "race combo" running lower boost on 91 or a good "street combo" on 91 & alchy?
I think the detuned race engine will have less friendly street manners due to the larger injectors, stall converter, etc but would the trial and error of tuning a alchy engine be more harmfull (less forgiving) trying to get it right...???

ks

KEVINS

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! This is definitely what i'm wondering. That's for clarifying my question. I'd prefer not to use the Alky, but what i'd really prefer is which combo will be best to get a consistent low 12 second car at the track that will run exactly the same on the street.

Oh, and still have great street manners...

there is no doubt a mild combo street car with a well tuned alky system would be the way to go for your goals........and it'll be about $10,000 cheaper

I'd prefer not to use the Alky

There really is nothing too difficult with the alky setup. As long as you have a scanmaster and Alky you should be all right. Having a 12 second car is not really measurable on the street anyway. Like Nick said today that there is many variables involved in good times such as temp and altitude. Alky is a great answer to the street but when you are pushing the car to its max on the track break out and spend a few bucks on good gas. If your driving WOT for a 1/4 mile on the street than maybe you should sell it. :) If all you want to say is that you ran a 12 than crank up the boost and put a half a tank of good gas in it and run it down the track. Then you can drive home with the white shoe polish on your window like the little ricers do. Heck they leave it on there till it wears off. :) What you have there is a badass car waiting to be awakened. I am not claiming to have the fastest car around but it sure demands a little respect, which it has earned. Meet up with me some time this week and we will talk more.

Chris

Chris,

Sounds good. If/when you get a chance, give me a buzz: 480-236-0232.

Just to clarify about the low 12's that i'm looking for. What i mean by this, is that if my car is capable of running a low 12 second at the track, then i know what it's capapble of on the street. Think of it as a measuring stick. If i could run 14's in street trim and 12's in race trim, then i won't be happy in the least bit. This isn't striclty a drag car for me, it's a car i want that will be faster than 99% of the cars on the street and track.

You brought up a good point about having 12's in soap on the window. How many GN's leave the track with 10,11,12 on the window only to be a 14 second car when the race fuel runs out?

As far as racing 1/4 mile on the street, no, not something i do very often. But an impromptu race on a wide open street now and then is impossible to avoid!!

Plus after destroying my buddies 98 Vette with $4000 in mods in my Lightning, i HAVE to do something. He KILLED me in my stock GN!!
:eek:

Woody is right get the alky. and work your way up slowly learning about the car.

Building a 10 sec. car that is durable and then detuning it for the street is very costly and sorta wasteful. ;)

If you intend to drive mostly on the street work your way down from the 14's and learn to tune.

Adding 11 sec. capable parts to the car won't hurt, if and when you use pump gas and alky., or pure race gas at the track. You just might need some additional tuning and testing to get the most out of the car as they are different setups.

Your first goals are the times and methods to be used to get there. Right after you set your budget limit. :D